What is a good TV tuner box for cable tv?

I need to get a cable tv tuner box, primary purpose is to connect it to a projector sometimes, other times a old tv. So basically a stand alone box with TV out.

Can someone here recommend a good one? I looked at the galaxy site, where they have a number of different boxes available, but I have no idea which one is better/worse.

I'll be connecting standard WorldCall cable tv to it.

If you go to the co-operative market, the repair shops are

full of dusty Chinese TV devices that have been abandoned

by their frustrated owners. They include brands like GADMEI,

DANY, etc. They all cost around Rs. 1000/-. On Galaxy,

they have got a couple of external DANY devices but the

rest are all meant to go inside a PC.

I have been through half-a-dozen of the Chinese devices,

and some of the problem with them are... every time you

switch a channel, the screen goes dark, hops up and down

and then switches over to the next channel. It can drive

you nuts if you quickly want to channel surf. Secondly,

after some months the colors will bleed (cheapo condensors

give away), some channels will have audio problems (static)

and some will altogether disappear into white fuzzy world.

The solution, if you can dig it out of Regal, are the imported

TV devices which will set you back about Rs. 2000-2200/-

but they have none of the problems listed above. One such

device is "PX", model TC-106. It looks just about the same

thing you see in the US. Been using that for a year and it is

solid piece of punani.

Sheikh 'Heavenly Flower' Chilli

yeah there are worth 1000rs and work fine

I think dany brand is the best tv tuner in Pakistan market...

I think dany brand is the best tv tuner in Pakistan market...

I bought a Dany LCD TV device few days back and it cost me 2,500rs I think. It supports resolution upto 1440x900@75hz and supports both wide-screen and 4:3 monitors. Furthermore, you can use your PC's monitor and speakers with it. Whenever you turn on the TV device, it will automatically turn off your PC signals and the display+speakers will change to TV. When you turn it off (on stand-by), you will be able to use your PC normally. I believe it also supports picture-in-picture for both PC/TV but I haven't tested that feature yet.

The 1,000rs dany supports only 640xYYY resolution at a low refresh rate which is too low for my taste.

xpod are long losting and reliable external tv tuners..

about the resolution and other technical data i have no idea.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I need to get a cable tv tuner box, primary purpose is to connect it to a projector sometimes, other times a old tv. So basically a stand alone box with TV out.

Can someone here recommend a good one? I looked at the galaxy site, where they have a number of different boxes available, but I have no idea which one is better/worse.

I’ll be connecting standard WorldCall cable tv to it.

[/quote]

regular WC is analog you can port that with no problem to your projector with the regular generic chinese tuners which turns computer monitor into tv (instead you’ll be connecting projector its same thing), since you are in karachi then sadar would be best place to go cost between 1200 to 1500 rupees, i am using GADMEI chinese thing for last 2 years damn thing just works even though remote markings have worn out sooner than expected.

VOD is digital, i don’t think you need anything extra this vod box already have monitor output so just connect directly to projector

http://wccftech.com/forum/review-worldcall-video-on-demand-19307.html

im' not sure if you guys are talking about the regular 'tv device', caz i'm using the chinese xPod njoy XD-TV110 device, got it for 1200 rs with 3yrs local warranty. its been working fine for me. although it has that 0.5-0.9 secs black delay when u switch to another channel, but thats common with all chinese devices. oh, and the device has issues outputting resolutions greather than 1024x768 caz the screen simply keeps vibrating up and down after that.

otherwise the tv quality is ok.

Is it internal or external device ?

Which Tv Tuner best for recording programs ?

Please help me

Is it internal or external device ?
[/quote]

its external standalone device,people buy used 17inch CRT monitor for Rs1500~1700 hook it up with tv device of Rs1000 and they get a 17 inch ultra cheap cable ready tv with 1000 tunable channels for just Rs2500

similar to these

amb7-front.jpg

2dualtvtunerforwoj4.jpg

Which Tv Tuner best for recording programs ?

Please help me

[/quote]

PC’s Tv tuner

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2301

If you really are into it and want quality, go with nothing but Hauppauge. Dont' know what's the availability in Pakistani though.

http://www.hauppauge.com/

Tv tuner box is something different then a tv tuner for PCs,it won't let you record/save programmes on your harddisk and is not connected to CPU of your computer.It simply makes your monitor/LCD start working as a tv

I have used Dany TV tuner box, the cost was Rs 1000 or Rs 1200 and I was pretty satisfied with it given the cost, also channel switching was not that slow AFAIR.

As @SalmanAhmed explained that Tv tuner box does not allows you to record programs so later I bought Pinnacle USB based Tv tuner for Rs 6000 approx and it is just great, it allows you to manually record as well as scheduled records. It also allows you to pause a live channel and setup time shifting as well. The recording quality is also good (MPEG-Long DvD)

Just recently I hooked my IPTV to this pinnacle device as well along with desi tv cable.

its external standalone device,people buy used 17inch CRT monitor for Rs1500~1700 hook it up with tv device of Rs1000 and they get a 17 inch ultra cheap cable ready tv with 1000 tunable channels for just Rs2500

similar to these

http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/graphics/prod/tvtuners/amb7_files/amb7-front.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4715/2dualtvtunerforwoj4.jpg

[/quote]

So what about the cabling? Do I need to plug in and out everytime I wana see TV or use PC ?

So what about the cabling? Do I need to plug in and out everytime I wana see TV or use PC ?

[/quote]

no need to plug-in cables all the time, it is kinda looped

computer —> tvdevice ----> monitor

so when the tvdevice is switched on, it sends the TV output to monitor and when it is off, it simply passes on the computer ouptut to the monitor.

ok

Does anyone know of an external TV tuner that I can connect to my projector via HDMI or Component connection (red, green, blue leads)? I will be using it with worldcall cable. I had worldcall VOD, but the picture quality was bad on the projector - the box only had composite connection.