What happens if you don't ground yourself before working inside a PC?

Around the internet there are loads of guides on how you may ground yourself when fixing a Laptop/Desktop PC. However there is too less information on why it is actually done. My concern is why do it in the first place if there is no big problem? Is it harmful for us or for the PC. I have never seen a PC fixer in Pakistan grounding himself when fixing a PC.

Is this like one of those stupid precautions that only the developed nations practice because they have ample time and resources.

The post is suppose to be moved to General Tech or Computer Hardware section.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Around the internet there are loads of guides on how you may ground yourself when fixing a Laptop/Desktop PC. However there is too less information on why it is actually done. My concern is why do it in the first place if there is no big problem? Is it harmful for us or for the PC. I have never seen a PC fixer in Pakistan grounding himself when fixing a PC.

Is this like one of those stupid precautions that only the developed nations practice because they have ample time and resources.

[/quote]

its becasue so that if your body is charged the charge is gounded…

for example the hair on your body and clothes rubbing can charge your body and tht static charge is very dangerous for PCs…

It is because body charge can affect the circuits.

Its because the the potential of earth is zero (earth adsorbs the electricity like water always flows from higher groud to lower due to gravity)so when you when touch electronics item standing on the ground without wearing non-conductive gloves for touching the item or don't wear protective shoes. the path gets clear for electricity to pass through you to the earth.... and that's how you get zapped :D

why electricity passes through you is because we have iron in our blood which is a conductor of electricity+ we also have salts which help the electricity to pass by ionization.

However most PC fixers in Pakistan do not ground themselves, yet no harm is done on the PC i guess. Why is that?

However most PC fixers in Pakistan do not ground themselves, yet no harm is done on the PC i guess. Why is that?
[/quote]

/facepalm

you ground yourself to prevent from being electrocuted, its not for the PC

When did WP become so mainstream?

^ Touching casing won't discharge static charge so easily. Normally, PCs here aren't grounded properly anyway.

The need for grounding oneself is simply to prevent the static charge on your body/clothes from damaging static sensitive ICs on the motherboard and other hardware components.

…When did WP become so mainstream?
[/quote]

I guess that is a good thing to happen.

The best way to discharge any electricity on yourself is to touch the power supply chassis before touching any other thing, this way the electricity between you and PC gets equilibrated. Read it somewhere on google

--

--

Chasis itself contains static charges. When you touch it with bare wet feet, you can feel like, you are in ‘‘heaven’’. Try it yourself.
[/quote]

You have some weird fetishes :P

Everyone should get zapped while performing a hardware task. You should learn about your own capacity to withstand current :D

Nothing really should happen, its ground contact mostly is made as a safety precaution to handle surges in voltages and currents....