What does UAN telephone number mean?

Some companies have their UAN telephone numbers, what does UAN means and what is the different between regular number and UAN?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Some companies have their UAN telephone numbers, what does UAN means and what is the different between regular number and UAN?
[/quote]

it means universal access number, so this means without worrying about city code etc no matter where ever you are in pakistan you can dial single number to reach the company or individual who subscribe to that UAN number.

CATCH 22 IN PAKISTAN:

- In all even half way civilized countries i have visited i have come to know that this type of UAN specially for companies is “ALWAYS” in form of TOLL FREE number starting like 0 800 or 1 800 etc where if you dial the number its free call for you and the company your calling pay the cost of the call.

- In Pakistan even though TOLL FREE 0 800 numbers exist but 99% of the companies use NON TOLL FREE 111 number where dialer pays for the call the company you are calling it cost nothing to them. so if you call your ISP companiy’s customer support and they put you on hold for 1 hour or you had to call 6 times to get the right person all that cost of the calls is comping out of your pocket instead of the your ISP company.

Kamran has already explained the basics, but just to add a little, in most other countries it is known as a Number Translation Service. If you know the basics of DNS, it is (kind of) analogous to a domain name. The company can have multiple or even changing terminating numbers, but the UAN remains the same. Though you can prefix the UAN number with the city code if you want to connect to the office etc of another city, like calling 042-111-007-008 for calling Lahore Daewoo terminal from Islamabad.

Though you can prefix the UAN number with the city code if you want to connect to the office etc of another city, like calling 042-111-007-008 for calling Lahore Daewoo terminal from Islamabad.
[/quote]

yup you are right, subscriber can chose UAN accessed from all over the countries or make it just single city specific. let me add two examples of two companies.

- In case of Link,net ISP their all customer service is in Lahore so if customer in Karachi dials the number or customer in Lahore dial the number both will get connected to Lahore CS.

- and in case of WORLDCALL their customer service for Karachi is in Karachi and customer service in Lahore is in Lahore. so if you gonna dial from Karachi then you’ll get Karachi CS in Karachi and if dialed in Lahore then you gonna get people in Lahore.

Universal Access Number (UAN) i don't much know about this but usually it has companies and when you dial it , it will automatically redirect you to company nearest branch

UAN stands for Universal Access Number.

its also a terminology for a solution of urea and ammonium nitrate.

what were you looking for brother

UAN stands for Universal Access Number.

its also a terminology for a solution of urea and ammonium nitrate.

what were you looking for brother

[/quote]

dude are you all there? heading of this thread clearly says"UAN telephone number" so where urea and ammonium nitrate come from…

Thanks to all. I have understood.

- In Pakistan even though TOLL FREE 0 800 numbers exist but 99% of the companies use NON TOLL FREE 111 number where dialer pays for the call the company you are calling it cost nothing to them. so if you call your ISP companiy’s customer support and they put you on hold for 1 hour or you had to call 6 times to get the right person all that cost of the calls is comping out of your pocket instead of the your ISP company.
[/quote]

Indeed. That sucks. :confused: