What do you use to disinfect and clean the watertank?

Many homes in pakistan use an underground water tank for storing water and I was wondering how do you get it cleaned and disinfected? Do you also use those water disinfection and purification tablets like Acqua Tab (or something like that)?

err.. I mean to say what technology is used ;)

Such tanks are only used in karachi i gues

not in the whole pakistan

Usually the calcium carbonate is added to the tank for germ killing. However, if your tank gets disinfected, I guess the only way is to remove the water, get it cleaned manually, and then add fresh CaCO3. That's how I had to do it last year. I guess this time rain water has also seeped into the tank. I just checked this morning and water color had changed, so I guess I'll have to go through the same exercise again.

But these water tablets, do they work on contaminated water?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

[/quote]

atleast they are used in all urban areas of pakistan

The water tanks are cleaned manually, water is sucked out through motors, a person goes inside the tank and cleans it, with water and some detergent kinda thing and bla bla…in the end chlorine is applied, to disinfect the watertank

so fer a day or two after watertank cleaning the water remains chlorinated enuff that it can be noticed

[/quote]

We’ve such a tank in our house. In fact a couple dozen other houses have got the same tanks in my vicinity, although there’s no water shortage here, but a backup is always useful :)

We’ve such a tank in our house. In fact a couple dozen other houses have got the same tanks in my vicinity, although there’s no water shortage here, but a backup is always useful :)

[/quote]

I thought everyone used them. So how do the people without them store their water.

I thought everyone used them. So how do the people without them store their water.

[/quote]

if you read the first post more carefully, its says this topic is about underground water tanks

Usually the calcium carbonate is added to the tank for germ killing. However, if your tank gets disinfected, I guess the only way is to remove the water, get it cleaned manually, and then add fresh CaCO3. That’s how I had to do it last year. I guess this time rain water has also seeped into the tank. I just checked this morning and water color had changed, so I guess I’ll have to go through the same exercise again.

But these water tablets, do they work on contaminated water?

[/quote]

Thanks, that’s informative.

There’s no water color - at least not visible to the human eye - so I believe the water in our tank isn’t too bad and doesn’t really need a full cleaning. The water tank cover is generally covered properly and pollutants do no enter directly. But I still want to get it disinfected to kill the germs as it’s been said the water from local supply to homes is somewhat contaminated.

But do you use that water for drinking too? We never do that, and so, are happy with CaCO3. Chlorine is also a good disinfectant, but you need to know the exact quantity to add, and once that water is used up, and tank is filled with new one, you need to add it again.

potasium permaxnage or pinky also removes bacteria and cleans the tank but i also sugest manual cleaning as i got mine done a few weeks ago and belaive me u shold get it done once an year in karachi.

if you read the first post more carefully, its says this topic is about underground water tanks

[/quote]

yes i know that. So far in life i have not seen a house without this :confused: