What do you think about this APC UPS setup

So the problem with modified APC UPS is that they dont stop charging the batteries when full. I have noticed they keep on charging at lower amps, when actually they should be only float charging at this point.

So I need to design an efficient yet powerful system that would provide at least 1000watts of constant backup for 3-4 hours continuously. It should be able to recharge back to full in same amount of time, meaning theini charger should be powerful enough to put back the energy used in the same amount of time it was used for, 3-4 hours.

I am thinking about using slightly modified (avg 8-10amp charging) 2200va/1980watts APC units and I am thinking of using 3 of them.

This could be the setup:

3 x APC in parallel

4 x 200 amps AGM VRLA batteries like sacred sun or concorde etc

total cost would be around 2 lacs.

Any one got any better solutions, please share.

Thanks!

What do you hope to achieve by connecting them in parallel?

@OP ...zero advantage..

none of them will charge anything above and beyond the charging capacity of the lowest ups rate..they have terminal sensing every 3 seconds so they will reduce their charging rate

for that much money, you could connect 4x 200AH sacred sun, and put solar panels on it which will keep it charged all the day without any need for 3-4 hour backup you require. it will be constantly charged..

we did a very similar setup like this a few months back.. but with cells instead of batteries..48V 1000AH cells. the result was quite as expected. zero loadshedding all day and night. that charging lasted 3 days on fully charged..

or you could simply buy an imported intelligent 40 amp charger and use that.. one charger at 45 amps will charge the batteries very fast.. since our new series of sacred sun models have much faster charging capability than standard model..

[quote=“executionist, post:2, topic:21036”]

What do you hope to achieve by connecting them in parallel?

[/quote]

I am hoping to achieve 3 times the charging current as current multiplies in parallel while voltage stays the same. But I am not sure if any one has tried it before and would it work. As Farhan mentioned, I could buy the charger but the good branded chargers are not available in Pakistan. They all have Chinese etc chargers at hall road.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:3, topic:21036”]

@OP ...zero advantage..

none of them will charge anything above and beyond the charging capacity of the lowest ups rate..they have terminal sensing every 3 seconds so they will reduce their charging rate

for that much money, you could connect 4x 200AH sacred sun, and put solar panels on it which will keep it charged all the day without any need for 3-4 hour backup you require. it will be constantly charged..

we did a very similar setup like this a few months back.. but with cells instead of batteries..48V 1000AH cells. the result was quite as expected. zero loadshedding all day and night. that charging lasted 3 days on fully charged..

or you could simply buy an imported intelligent 40 amp charger and use that.. one charger at 45 amps will charge the batteries very fast.. since our new series of sacred sun models have much faster charging capability than standard model..

[/quote]

What type, power and how many panels did you use. How much did the panels and the cell cost?

remember , apart from other drawbacks, when you connect parallel chargers to same battery, the battery will be overcharged at the end as every charger will do its own job. that simply means when it comes to floating, it will be actually by all three parallel chargers and that will overcharge/overheat battery and surely damage it.

[quote=“ModernWarfare, post:4, topic:21036”]

I am hoping to achieve 3 times the charging current as current multiplies in parallel while voltage stays the same. But I am not sure if any one has tried it before and would it work. As Farhan mentioned, I could buy the charger but the good branded chargers are not available in Pakistan. They all have Chinese etc chargers at hall road.

[/quote]

cONTRARY TO WHAT IS BEING SAID, none of the apc will overcharge your battery.. apc have a very intelligent circuit .. all of them will sense the battery charging requirements and they will only provide current in pulse with check in between each pulse.. so since all of them would be providing the current and sensing that already full current is being provided, all of them will either tone down to 1/3 of the required charging rate, or will shuffel it between themselves.

if the required current is 15 amps, all of them capable of 20 amps, they will still combine to spend not more than 16-18 amps.. COMBINED.

there are quality imported chargers available.. in 24 and 48V easily.. all the way upto 60 amps.. which is almost the amount a 1.5 ton AC consumes at peak..it also draws current with thick AC wires..

they are much expensive but still MUCH MUCH less than combining 3 apc for zero advantage

if you need them..PM me.