Wet or Dry Batteries(min 165AH ) for Ups ? and best place and price to buy them in Lahore

Hey Guys!

This is my first post here so i hope i get the info i'm looking for.

I have a Homage HMX 2001 UPS (2000VA, 1320Watts) and im looking to buy new batteries (min 165AH ) for it within a week. I previosly used two AGS batteries and the hassle of mantainance annoyed me alot and never refilled them on time. Im thinking about these Dry Batteries people are talking about and i hope some of you could tell me about your experiences with it over a year at least!!. I'll keep it straight and ask some basic questions.

Q1.Which are better Dry or Wet? I always read Wet's last the distance if mantained well,but ill be happy if dry can last at least 2 years or min 1.5 years.

Q2.Charging time for Dry and perfomance in handling max allowed load? not that i will use them on full load daily, only when guests are at home.

Q3.Price range For Dry ones (165AH min)?

Q4.Decent reliable market or shop in Lahore with no warranty claim issues.

Q5.Your overall general opinion of Dry batteries for UPS after using them for a good deal of time (1 year or more) are they worth the extra cost? Would you buy them again or go back to using the wet's?

Buy an AGS battery. Or, Phoenix

Personal experience. They can withstand a lot of carelessness.

Other brands are b.s. I used Pyro deionized water to top up. Crap always fails when less than a year old.

Mehnga royay ek barr, sasta roay barr barr.

[quote=“ahmad.amjad, post:, topic:”]

Hey Guys!

This is my first post here so i hope i get the info i'm looking for.

I have a Homage HMX 2001 UPS (2000VA, 1320Watts) and im looking to buy new batteries (min 165AH ) for it within a week. I previosly used two AGS batteries and the hassle of mantainance annoyed me alot and never refilled them on time. Im thinking about these Dry Batteries people are talking about and i hope some of you could tell me about your experiences with it over a year at least!!. I'll keep it straight and ask some basic questions.

Q1.Which are better Dry or Wet? I always read Wet's last the distance if mantained well,but ill be happy if dry can last at least 2 years or min 1.5 years.

Q2.Charging time for Dry and perfomance in handling max allowed load? not that i will use them on full load daily, only when guests are at home.

Q3.Price range For Dry ones (165AH min)?

Q4.Decent reliable market or shop in Lahore with no warranty claim issues.

Q5.Your overall general opinion of Dry batteries for UPS after using them for a good deal of time (1 year or more) are they worth the extra cost? Would you buy them again or go back to using the wet's?

[/quote]

1 - if you have imported UPS or a very very high quality ups, then always prefer Dry battery.. local company ups, buy wet ones

2 - Dry have very strict charging requirements, and should be charged much slower than wet ones.. .. load is not a problem for high quality dry batteries.. they can stand well.

3 - New batteries of reputed international companies would be above 25k each.. local would be around 19-20k.. wet would b 13k.

4 - Multan road...beyond multan choongi,.. then thokar niaz baig ... warranty claim is a company policy issue, not the dealers.. Exide has easier claims, AGS stricter.. pheonix are very very strict.. says a lot about their quality as well

5 - Dry imported batteries work best with proper seperate charger and inverter system.. or atleast MGE or APC Ups...we installed Sacred sun new batteries in a friends home on solar setup.. almost 2 years passed and batteries are perfect....Koder, a member here, burnt his osaka dry battery in less than 6 months on local ups.... wet battery work fine with everything.. our AGS 165AH x4 on APC ups is running fine with almost full backup as new for almost 1.5 years.. and only poured very little water in them ONCE in 1.5 years. ... the other exide 130AH x 4 is also running ok with other APC Ups for over a year now...

[quote=“hawker, post:2, topic:20103”]

Buy an AGS battery. Or, Phoenix

Personal experience. They can withstand a lot of carelessness.

Other brands are b.s. I used Pyro deionized water to top up. Crap always fails when less than a year old.

Mehnga royay ek barr, sasta roay barr barr.

[/quote]

Can u tell me a good market in Lahore to buy them from which does not sell fake AGS's? Last time i had AGS one of them turned out to have a dead cell and it ruined the other one as well also do you have any idea of their price range these days?. Any take on AGM dry Batteries?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:3, topic:20103”]

1 - if you have imported UPS or a very very high quality ups, then always prefer Dry battery.. local company ups, buy wet ones

2 - Dry have very strict charging requirements, and should be charged much slower than wet ones.. .. load is not a problem for high quality dry batteries.. they can stand well.

3 - New batteries of reputed international companies would be above 25k each.. local would be around 19-20k.. wet would b 13k.

4 - Multan road...beyond multan choongi,.. then thokar niaz baig ... warranty claim is a company policy issue, not the dealers.. Exide has easier claims, AGS stricter.. pheonix are very very strict.. says a lot about their quality as well

5 - Dry imported batteries work best with proper seperate charger and inverter system.. or atleast MGE or APC Ups...we installed Sacred sun new batteries in a friends home on solar setup.. almost 2 years passed and batteries are perfect....Koder, a member here, burnt his osaka dry battery in less than 6 months on local ups.... wet battery work fine with everything.. our AGS 165AH x4 on APC ups is running fine with almost full backup as new for almost 1.5 years.. and only poured very little water in them ONCE in 1.5 years. ... the other exide 130AH x 4 is also running ok with other APC Ups for over a year now...

[/quote]

Thank your for your input

I'll ask about the dry ones first. You said that for dry ones an excellent quality UPS is required. I have a Homage HMX 2001 UPS (2000VA, 1320Watts). Now personally i dont think it's premium quality UPS but its a good UPS has some good fetures like overcharging prevention and stuff. Whats your take on it do you think it can run dry ones without any problems? and if yes will it need a seperate charger or anything else.

Onto the wet's. You mentioned AGS, Phoenix and Excide, which ones will you personally prefer out of the three? I mean when i buy them i want to be convinced that this is the best option available in the market for wet ones. What is their price comparison. Also i dont have a proper idea about these terms 165AH or 200AH what do they mean exactly? does it mean the battery will give me 165 Ampere perhour? I previously used AGS 165AH x 2, now if i replace them with lets say Phoenix 200AH x 2 (assuming AGS and Phoenix are same quality) What will be the effect on backup, charging time etc?

keeping it short

local Dry batteries suck in quality.. imported dry batteries are too expensive...

your ups is just fine.

Quality wise

AGS = Pheonix > Volta >>> Exide>>>osaka

same goes for price.. AGS are more expensive.

Explaining AH would be very difficult.. there are multiple threads here on forum for easy reading.

higher AH means more backup.. not much difference in charging

buy the biggest battery you can afford in AGS. you would be fine with it.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:6, topic:20103”]

keeping it short

local Dry batteries suck in quality.. imported dry batteries are too expensive...

your ups is just fine.

Quality wise

Explaining AH would be very difficult.. there are multiple threads here on forum for easy reading.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your knowledge it's been very helpful.

I've decided to go for AGS but this time with higher AH than 165. One last thing, which companies provide good battery water? and do i need to turn off the ups or anything when refilling the batteries and after how much days or weeks should i be concerned about the water level if battery is in ok condition during hot and cold season (The batteries aren't exactly in an easily accessible space).....I know it just boils the water away if its ruined

1) The number printed on battery does not mean it carries those many amperes. I posted a chart somewhere, about Exide batteries. It carries exact technical specs. Use it for a general idea, but DONT buy Exide. You can find a similar chart on the website of Phoenix, or Millat batteries.

2) Ask for a battery which has 180 amperes, regardless of model number. I suggest you get Phoenix. Read the warranty terms and get the warranty card properly filled.

3) Goto the website of battery manufacturer, and get the contact number of their office. They should be able to tell you your nearest authorized dealer.

4) In some other thread, farhan_ds mentioned that one should not use rain water, AC water, this water, or that water for top-up of battery. Either use boiled water, or get bottles of exide or ags water available in sealed bottles. Do not get Pyro, he said.

I suggest that you get a beaker, and filter paper and filter all the water that you pour in. Filter papers have numbers. Get one that can do maximum/best filtering.

[quote=“ahmad.amjad, post:7, topic:20103”]

Thanks for sharing your knowledge it's been very helpful.

I've decided to go for AGS but this time with higher AH than 165. One last thing, which companies provide good battery water? and do i need to turn off the ups or anything when refilling the batteries and after how much days or weeks should i be concerned about the water level if battery is in ok condition during hot and cold season (The batteries aren't exactly in an easily accessible space).....I know it just boils the water away if its ruined

[/quote]

if your battery water is hot or boils, your ups is overcharging..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:9, topic:20103”]

if your battery water is hot or boils, your ups is overcharging..

[/quote]

Well the thing is when the batteries were new that was not the case the UPS can run 8 fans and 24 energy savers on full load, but the max load i put on it on a regular basis was not more than 4 fans and 10 energy savers, so the batteries were having it easy and charged back up in normail time without any heating up and the UPS stopped charging, but unfortunately i was careless in their mantainance as this was our first UPS setup and i hadnt really done any sort of mantainance of batteries before in my life i kept check on the water level but on the first refill i thought that a battery only had three sections within them so i ended up filling just the three front sections of both the batteries it was only on the secong refill i realised that had happened and the water level of the back three sections of both batteries had gone below the min level to make matters worse i had the batteries checked and the guy told me that one of the cellls of one battery is dead (he said it seemed it been dead before i bought it) and that it was gonna ruin the other battery which was in okay condition and seriously affect the charging. So i think that it's not the UPS's fault that the batteries are heating, i put it down to my poor mantainance and a bad battery. These days i dont really give a sh!t about them as i know their busted and they eat up the water within a matter of 3 weeks, on my last three refills in which i poured some sh!t battery watter i bought from nearby Caltex which looked a mixtue of water and spit the water level had gone well below minimum level. I guess I'm gonna have to keep a tight check on charging time, water level, backup and temprature when i put in the new ones.

[quote=“hawker, post:8, topic:20103”]

1) The number printed on battery does not mean it carries those many amperes. I posted a chart somewhere, about Exide batteries. It carries exact technical specs. Use it for a general idea, but DONT buy Exide. You can find a similar chart on the website of Phoenix, or Millat batteries.

2) Ask for a battery which has 180 amperes, regardless of model number. I suggest you get Phoenix. Read the warranty terms and get the warranty card properly filled.

3) Goto the website of battery manufacturer, and get the contact number of their office. They should be able to tell you your nearest authorized dealer.

4) In some other thread, farhan_ds mentioned that one should not use rain water, AC water, this water, or that water for top-up of battery. Either use boiled water, or get bottles of exide or ags water available in sealed bottles. Do not get Pyro, he said.

I suggest that you get a beaker, and filter paper and filter all the water that you pour in. Filter papers have numbers. Get one that can do maximum/best filtering.

[/quote]

I saw this chart on phoenix website http://phoenixbattery.com.pk/product.php

but in the UPS category the min AH battery available is 160

I guess it's gonna be between AGS and Phoenix after both you and farhan recommended them.

Thanks for the battery water info, previously i used some Sh!t "Sakhi" battery water i used to buy from nearby Caltex which looked like a mixture of spit and water

AGS, most reputed..

Pheonix most talked about...

I am trying phoenix for the first time. been running since 3 months. one fan, one laptop and one room cooler. actually, bought it because could not find AGS due to supply shortage.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:6, topic:20103”]

keeping it short

your ups is just fine.

Quality wise

[/quote]

WRONG !

dont buy the biggest one !

keeping the scenario in the mind a poster is asking for ,

2 or even 4 small amps batteries would serve BEST because of higher amps , batteries are designed with some restrictions ,

200 amps battery is not made to provide 200 amps in one hour :)

if u r into this business (REALLY) then you should notice WHY there is always a battery BANK with small batteries ? why NOT a huge one only ??

[quote=“hawker, post:13, topic:20103”]

I am trying phoenix for the first time. been running since 3 months. one fan, one laptop and one room cooler. actually, bought it because could not find AGS due to supply shortage.

[/quote]

no doubt AGS is "better" but drawback of AGS is if your battery fails after 30 DAYS then you have to pay depreciation according to the time you used that battery , in my one car AGS in 70 days and i paid 2250 to get a new battery .

[quote=“nadeem5476, post:14, topic:20103”]

WRONG !

dont buy the biggest one !

keeping the scenario in the mind a poster is asking for ,

2 or even 4 small amps batteries would serve BEST because of higher amps , batteries are designed with some restrictions ,

200 amps battery is not made to provide 200 amps in one hour :)

if u r into this business (REALLY) then you should notice WHY there is always a battery BANK with small batteries ? why NOT a huge one only ??

[/quote]

its RIGHT..!!

ALWAYS buy the biggest one you can afford..!!

keeping in mind the buyers scenrio and most of our local PK users..

there is always a need for more power during loadshedding esp in summers.. if one assumes that they will use 2 fans and 3 E savers, they are kidding themselves.. they will always use more fans, and lights, will charge their mobiles and laptops.. or always try to finish the movie or drama they were watching before shutting tv / PC down on UPS.. thus power draw will always be much higher than expected.. plus our local batteries are not that upto the mark that 200AH will provide the full 10-12% DoD it was supposed to, further more the backup will be around 175 AH only.. and will continue to degrade with each charge cycle.. thus buying smaller AH batteries will seem TECHNICALLY good, but practically it is not..

besides, there will always be days where there will be loadshedding for more than 3-4 hours straight and ten only a larger battery bank will suffice.. nothing else will provide the sheer pleasure of madness and guilt on saving 8k once and suffering in mid summer day scorching heat waves with no light

we once survived 17 hours when tarbela dam tripped earlier this year on our UPS combos.. :)

The new and dry battery (165AH) will provide how much back up time to only one desktop computer whose monitor is LCD

anyone here in favour of Volta Tubular Batteries?

tubular batteries are specialized batteries for UPS which can be subject to deep discharges. planning to buy that on mu nest ups Upgrade

i saw an Ad at olx who is selling 200 AH VRLA battery in 45000 !!

http://olx.com.pk/item/battery-for-solar-IDSfxK1.html?requestFromAd=1&track%5Bmessage_sent%5D=1&id_at=1798429

i was calculating that how much expensive is this , plz make me correct if i m wrong ,

he is mentioning 800 life cycles (total life of the battery)

12 volts and 200 AH . if we consider fully drain and no losses (which is not possible) but we consider like this to calculate the rational price ,

12 volts X 200 Ah = 2400 watts per cycle we can get . and th elife is 800 cycles so 2400 watts X 800 cycles = 1920000 watts total or 1920 kilo Watts.

and when we compare 1920 KW price from wapda / KESC @ 15 per unit so it will b 28,800 only . !! so why should i invest in this to buy such an expensive battery ?

plz correct me if i m wrong .