Western Digital WD5000AAKS stops spinning

I have a WD5000AAKS HDD which totally stopped spinning and providing power through numerous means all result in failure. The hard disk doesn't spins. Has anyone else faced this issue? If yes, what did you do to solve it? Or did you just sent it back under warranty?

I took off the PCB (HDD is out of warranty) and found a partially burnt but still functional resistor (330R) and a shorted TVS diode (on the +5VDC rail) which was also physically cracked horizontally and vertically. I looked at the label on the diode under a 10X microscope and it is STMicroelectronics GP 7S1 - no information or part match on any site. The WAPDA/IESCO voltage spikes :mad: have worked their magic and destroyed a perfectly good HDD. I wish a class action lawsuit could be brought against them but they are protected by law against such a lawsuit. :mad:

I have de-soldered the TVS diode and will be testing today if the HDD works without it or not. Ordering a replacement diode may take weeks from Farnell. Before I give it power, I want to ask if anyone has been successful with this method (apparently, lots of WD HDDS have suffered from this issue due to cheap lower quality manufacturing).

Few years back, I had a 5.25" HDD which got something similar situation. The board (PCB) on HDD got burnt due to spikes in electricity. At that time, I tried to find replacement board to get the data out of it. All I was able to do was to buy an exact similar HDD, temporarily replace working PCB with bad one and extract all data from it. But have to sacrifice one of the harddisk (the old one) because I can't find spare PCB.

I hope that platters (disks) in your HDD or other sensitive components are not damage.

Oh this is not good. I have the same model of HDD, and I thought of replacing it as I got a few problems with it in the beginning, and WD support said to replace it as well, but eventually I fixed it as I didn't have that much spare space to backup my precious data.

I just hope that you get it to work somehow, though I would not recommend using it without a diode. Even if it works, there is a high chance of you corrupting your data. Instead try to replace the diode with some similar one, if you can't find the exact one.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I just hope that you get it to work somehow, though I would not recommend using it without a diode. Even if it works, there is a high chance of you corrupting your data. Instead try to replace the diode with some similar one, if you can’t find the exact one.

[/quote]

The diode not being there means that in case of a short, the PSU will have to reset itself. Thank God I now have good PSUs (Corsair 620HX and CM 550 Watts PSU) in the PCs at home. Technically, a diode not being there means that the two contacts are open. I haven’t shorted/closed them.

I hope that platters (disks) in your HDD or other sensitive components are not damage.

[/quote]

The platters seem fine as this problem is rather prevalent with WD HDDs. I will test it within the next hour and verify if he fix got it working or not.

Just plugged it in a minute ago. Not working. :(

I reckon getting the replacement component will be necessary now. :/

Or I will try getting a similar non-functional HDD from a "kabaria" though there isn't much chance of it being available.

Or I will try getting a similar non-functional HDD from a “kabaria” though there isn’t much chance of it being available.
[/quote]

I tried that too but in the end I had to buy a working HDD to extract data.

I won’t recommend the risk to run HDD without proper board. Missing/short/burnt diode or resistor can give out high voltage to ruin remaining parts.

What is your target? To extract data or try to “repair” the HDD back to working condition?

If you are trying to repair the HDD back to working condition then your chances are very low. Instead of risking it for brick (with total loss of data), it will be wise to replace it with new HDD.

Target is to extract and repair.

^ For repair; your best bet would be to replace PCB with good one. Good luck for hunting it down from second-hand-market or kabaria.

First I will try to replace the suspect SMD TVS diode and the resistor. I don't have any other similar HDD to compare it against. Worst comes to worst, I will replace that diode with a common 1N400X series diode. I will first try finding similar diodes on Farnell, Digikey, RSS and Newark websites.

How long after did it cause problems. I bought mine 7-8 months back, and its still working fine. Is the problem associated to only Light fluctuation or are there other factors?

This is seriously freaking me out.

My System Specs:

Mobo: Asus P5b VM

CPU: 1.86 GHz Core2 E6300

RAM: DDR2 2.5 GB-667

GFX: His HD3850 256MB 256Bit

HDD : 160GB seagate sata + 120GB Seagate IDE + Western Digital WD5000AAKS

Supply: Cooler Master 650W

UPS: Yes + Generator

What precautions should I take?

^ A month after warranty expired.

Using a good power supply should help avoid this issue to some extent.

I hope Inshallah its avoided completely. I have all my games (and game ISOs, Roms) in that HDD.

Thanks bro