Website Speed Optimization Help/Advice

Something weird just happened!

We've just done a major overhaul of our corporate website and I was thinking of finally going ahead and apply Google, Yahoo, Pingdom and GTMetrix recommended changes to improve speed.

Before the overhaul, our page loading times clocked in at an average of 11 seconds. (I know, I know...but it was a really old design and the previous developer had done wonky things to our site anyway.) After we were through with updating it+using a clean Wordpress install? 2.85 seconds.

Feeling somewhat greedy, I decided to see if I could get our PageSpeed and YSlow grades up (currently C, D) and reduce page load times EVEN MORE. So I went ahead and made two quick changes that had been recommended to us over and over again, following instructions as provided by the respective authorities: enabled compression, leveraged browser caching.

And voila!

...Page load times skyrocketed to 25.56 seconds! That's right: nearly half a minute.

GTMetrix, PageSpeed, YSlow quickly gave our website revised grades of B and C before dying (in case of the PageSpeed analysis) or informing me my website is slower than 94% sites on the Internet (duh!)

So I rushed back, reverted the changes I had made, and viola. We're back to serving up pages in under 3 seconds. Even though Google et al are now angry at me and have bumped our site back a grade.

My question: What.the.frack?

How exactly did you implement those two steps? i.e compression and cache?

I modified the .htacess file by adding the code snippets provided by those resources I mentioned.

Try this WordPress Plugin to compress JS and CSS files.

Thanks but it's outdated. I would really prefer a plugin-free option because plugins themselves slow down sites too.

Step 1:

- Profile your application, put timers in all places, figure out bottle neck.

- DB calls are mostly the cause, make sure you are calling X number of queries in a loop, batch them.

- Get the *real" page execution time of script (don't look at firefox/browsers time). Look at apache's custom log it has a variable you can use to monitor.

Step1 (if you like it easy)

- Or simply install xdebug and look at the dump, it will give you idea about which piece of code is taking longer.

Did you check exactly what caused the slowness? Was it compression or browser cache?

Try to enable only one of them and then see results.

I may be able to help you in fixing this. Could you provide the urls of both the designs so I can have a look.

Sometimes there is just a single 3rd party plugin/connection which causes all the slowness NOT the complete design. But again I will need to get at-least url of the slow loading page to further investigate.

The google ranking issue may just be temporary and is most likely caused by the complete design overhaul.

[quote=“Effeay, post:, topic:”]

Something weird just happened!

We've just done a major overhaul of our corporate website and I was thinking of finally going ahead and apply Google, Yahoo, Pingdom and GTMetrix recommended changes to improve speed.

Before the overhaul, our page loading times clocked in at an average of 11 seconds. (I know, I know...but it was a really old design and the previous developer had done wonky things to our site anyway.) After we were through with updating it+using a clean Wordpress install? 2.85 seconds.

Feeling somewhat greedy, I decided to see if I could get our PageSpeed and YSlow grades up (currently C, D) and reduce page load times EVEN MORE. So I went ahead and made two quick changes that had been recommended to us over and over again, following instructions as provided by the respective authorities: enabled compression, leveraged browser caching.

And voila!

...Page load times skyrocketed to 25.56 seconds! That's right: nearly half a minute.

GTMetrix, PageSpeed, YSlow quickly gave our website revised grades of B and C before dying (in case of the PageSpeed analysis) or informing me my website is slower than 94% sites on the Internet (duh!)

So I rushed back, reverted the changes I had made, and viola. We're back to serving up pages in under 3 seconds. Even though Google et al are now angry at me and have bumped our site back a grade.

My question: What.the.frack?

[/quote]

try to makes these changes.....

1: MiniFy CSS

2: MiniFy HTML

3: MiniFy Images

after these you will get better time optimization.....

Thanks cheers!