Wateen Article

So i am making this thread specifically for discussion and contribution to the article on Wateen. For those who don't know, this is a unified effort from forum members who have suffered from Wateen's service and once the article is written, it will be sent to magazines like Spider, netmag, etc and posted by various individuals here on their blogs (those who have them and want to post the article on it).

This is being moved into this new thread so that the stickied Wateen thread doesn't gets detracted from the usual discussions there.

Without further ado, the preliminary article is given below:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
WiMax in Pakistan: A Step Forward Or Two Steps Backwards

when wateen telecom was launching alot was expected from them and they had major hype but when they finally launched their packages were not too exciting but still people bought connections from them due to the fact that it was wireless and that there was no dependency on ptcl.It was actually a premature launch. One that was initiated in fear of Mobilink's WiMax. A franchise manager admitted this to me himself. What were he numbers? I think Wateen registered 20000 customers in 1 week. That goes to show the "money-only" approach. Instead of ensuring a stable structure first they wanted to suck in as many customers as possible. But Wateen has mostly choosen to ignore its customers problems and keep promising more when they can never provide. The first major excuse that Wateen telecom continues to use is that of the customer being out of coverage even of the customer is in the coverage.Also there is the issue of their Customer Service staff being extremely unhelpful. Giving us redundant suggestions that have nothing to do with the internet. Not to mention their top management is literally hiding from the public. What does this all indicate? That they know of the problem but don't want to be held accountable. The saddest part is that this venture was brought by the same Group that has had success here in the form of Bank Alfalah, etc. Now it seems they've grown a bit cocky. Taking the Pakistani consumer for granted. But times are changing and we do not intend to sit back and let them launder money off us.

Wateen's network also is crippled in the fact that uses 4 or 5 NAT layers which is ourageuos this increases latency substantially. Customer support with them is almost non existent with them and when does complain most of the time he is told to do silly stuff like clearling ones cache and renewing our ips,which is just stupid. I myself when complaining to wateen was told i could not use wateens services because i was use linux as my operating system , which is just lame. The CPEs that we are provided by wateen telecom are underpowered for the price we have paid, in that they can not handle a simple bittorrent download and restart automatically and randomly. Billing for the most with wateen did not exist with wateen until now but most of thier bills are confusing in the bills received by customers line rent has been added when post-paid customers already paid for line rent in the hefty 19500 we paid

To save each and every penny Wateen uses every tactic possible they run under-powered servers to save maoney( this has been confirmed from a wateen engineer) and they also try to snatch each penny from customers to. When bills were delievered to customers they were charged with line rent which post paid customers had already paid.Then when that excuse did not stick they made a new excuse that wateen has not received the checks of post paid customers but the banks of these customers told a differnt story.

The indoor CPEs that customers have been given run under powered ARM mobile CPUs which is the reason that when they come under load they restart the CPE to reduce the load and wateen instead of fixing this problem blames the customers by saying that everything is fine from there side but it is the customers computers that are faulty.

Stupid excuses are given by Wateen Telecom to customers for their services not working properly one such excuse is that there are upgrades being performed at wateen's end but when i asked what these updates are. The representatives have no answer. All of this proves Wateen telecoms incompetance to handle their network which was set up by a company with a great reputation Motorolla. So think at least 20 times before buying any service by wateen telecom

edit: i will wait till 2 days if u guys wana add anythin after which i wil mail this to spider and u guys can publish it on ur blogs

[/quote]

A franchise manager admitted this to me himself. What were the numbers? I think Wateen registered 20000 customers in 1 week.
[/quote]

Very vague. Needs details/references to back this up.

That goes to show the “money-only” approach. Instead of ensuring a stable structure first they wanted to suck in as many customers as possible. But Wateen has mostly choosen to ignore its customers problems and keep promising more when they can never provide. The first major excuse that Wateen telecom continues to use is that of the customer being out of coverage even of the customer is in the coverage.Also there is the issue of their Customer Service staff being extremely unhelpful.
[/quote]

List the points and explain one by one.

Giving us redundant suggestions that have nothing to do with the internet.
[/quote]

Be objective, as if you are a third party watching both the company and the customers.

Not to mention their top management is literally hiding from the public. What does this all indicate? That they know of the problem but don’t want to be held accountable. The saddest part is that this venture was brought by the same Group that has had success here in the form of Bank Alfalah, etc. Now it seems they’ve grown a bit cocky. Taking the Pakistani consumer for granted. But times are changing and we do not intend to sit back and let them launder money off us.

Wateen’s network also is crippled in the fact that uses 4 or 5 NAT layers which is ourageuos this increases latency substantially. Customer support with them is almost non existent with them and when does complain most of the time he is told to do silly stuff like clearling ones cache and renewing our ips,which is just stupid. I myself when complaining to wateen was told i could not use wateens services because i was use linux as my operating system , which is just lame. The CPEs that we are provided by wateen telecom are underpowered for the price we have paid, in that they can not handle a simple bittorrent download and restart automatically and randomly. Billing for the most with wateen did not exist with wateen until now but most of thier bills are confusing in the bills received by customers line rent has been added when post-paid customers already paid for line rent in the hefty 19500 we paid

[/quote]

A bit of introduction about NAT will be beneficial before explaining the problem with it. Remember, not all readers are technically competent in networking. OS dependence and staff’s incompetence with linux is a major point. Highlight it. When a small portion of the world is moving to Linux ;p , they still don’t know how to provide technical support for it. Not being able to handle bit torrent is due to firmware issues. This is Motorola’s fault. Not Wateen’s. Billing is a crucial issue. Highlight it separately and in detail about each aspect, like excess usage, line rent, etc. Also highlight their lack of ability to monitor usage and sending bills based on an area’s bandwidth usage estimates and dividing it over the consumers in the area regardless of actual bandwidth consumed. There is specific mention of no line rent in the advertisement which is posted some pages back.

To save each and every penny Wateen uses every tactic possible they run under-powered servers to save maoney( this has been confirmed from a wateen engineer) and they also try to snatch each penny from customers to. When bills were delievered to customers they were charged with line rent which post paid customers had already paid.Then when that excuse did not stick they made a new excuse that wateen has not received the checks of post paid customers but the banks of these customers told a differnt story.
[/quote]

Repitition. Mention the issues with DNS resolution and problems with Wateen’s servers. Also mention the consequent security concerns in using external DNS resolution servers.

The indoor CPEs that customers have been given run under powered ARM mobile CPUs which is the reason that when they come under load they restart the CPE to reduce the load
[/quote]

Most liekly to clear the IP/Network tables.

and wateen instead of fixing this problem blames the customers by saying that everything is fine from there side but it is the customers computers that are faulty.

Stupid excuses are given by Wateen Telecom to customers for their services not working properly one such excuse is that there are upgrades being performed at wateen’s end but when i asked what these updates are. The representatives have no answer. All of this proves Wateen telecoms incompetance to handle their network which was set up by a company with a great reputation Motorolla. So think at least 20 times before buying any service by wateen telecom

[/quote]

Highlight incompetence and lack of training of technical staff.

edit: i will wait till 2 days if u guys wana add anythin after which i wil mail this to spider and u guys can publish it on ur blogs
[/quote]

Frankly speaking, this seems more like whining than an actual objective article. This still needs work - a lot of it to make it neutral and full of facts backed with proof/references. We aren’t dealing with technical readers, merely average readers who don’t know much about WiMax and networking. We can mention the two people who have raised doubts about WiMax’s capabilities and who are handling ISPs themselves. Their names were mentioned previously.

Oh, and there are spelling and grammatical mistakes but they should be fixed at the end.

Asad how about this i present u with the facts and u can write about them coz clearly readin ur blog u r a much writer than i am

Just make amendments and keep posting it here. We will have a finished article in the end. I too will keep contributing here.

i will ask my friend who writes for Spider that if Spider would have any issues with publishing this or not.

just an update i made all the modifications Asad told me i even added Tech Mans paragraphs

and then went to sleep

now i dont know what happened but the computer in which the article was saved its hard drive died now i will have to write it all over again

I believe the wateen encashing the cheques and denying it is a very serious matter and should be emphasized more.

and we should set a target date to complete and finalize this article

hey KO wud u be intersted in writin this article

coz ur posts on wiredpakistan.com are very good

One suggestion though, instead of posting it on multiple blogs, post it on only one and link to it on every possible blog/website

midhat is right. You wouldnt want the same person to read the same article on different blogs over and over again. Multiple articles from different writers in many blogs would have a much better impact.

I have been using wateen service since december last year and for the last 2 months the service is alot stable than it was. My package is 512Kbps internet only and using indoor unit.

I have been using wateen service since december last year and for the last 2 months the service is alot stable than it was. My package is 512Kbps internet only and using indoor unit.
[/quote]

man post in the dedicated wateen thread

this thread is only for the wateen article

As long as I remember an article on Wateen has already been published in Spider magazine when wateen started its service. In that article the writer told about the bad customer support and the delay in getting connection which was taking time after the payment has been made, the writer mostly emphasized that the service needs improvement in customer support department.

If we are going to publish an article in spider then the article should be covering all problematic areas of wateen, like bandwidth, connectivity, speed, usage statistics and problem in the device itself.

As long as I remember an article on Wateen has already been published in Spider magazine when wateen started its service. In that article the writer told about the bad customer support and the delay in getting connection which was taking time after the payment has been made, the writer mostly emphasized that the service needs improvement in customer support department.

If we are going to publish an article in spider then the article should be covering all problematic areas of wateen, like bandwidth, connectivity, speed, usage statistics and problem in the device itself.

[/quote]

if u read my article i have tried to cover many of these issues

yes, i agree. The article you have written is great.

yes, i agree. The article you have written is great.
[/quote]

it maybe be it still needs alot of work

Posting on multiple blogs would be better. We will release it under a CC license so everyone can publish it and list people who worked on it.

Posting on multiple blogs would be better. We will release it under a CC license so everyone can publish it and list people who worked on it.
[/quote]

a creative commons license will be a good idea in fact

[/quote]

And why would that be? I was thinking in terms of search engines when i proposed the link idea