Warid GPRS/Edge strange problem

So after working flawlessly for about 8 months, I've encountered my first big problem with Warid GPRS. For a week now, I haven't been able to browse properly on computer, and WAP on mobile isn't working at all. When browsing on computer, waridtel.com and a few more websites work most of the time, while all the other websites including hotmail.com give Network Timeout, Network Link Interrupted while data was being transferred, Connection Timeout errors and most of the time it just gets stuck on "waiting for......". The strange thing is though that torrents are working.

I've also noticed that the server IP has changed from "10.x.x.x" to 192.x.x.x", the last time the connection was working and I checked the server IP, it was in the "10.x.x.x" range.

I've called the help line many times, and the end result from their side is that everything is ok on my number. Now they asked to give some other contact number so they can arrange a call back, and try to solve the problem. I though of asking other members if any of them had the same problem, or if any Warid rep here can help me out on this one. If its not happening with anyone else, (and its not 'cause of the changed server IP), then it must be something wrong with my area's BTS IMO. (the weather nowadays is hot enough to mess any cooling system).

BTW I am in Islampura, Lahore. And I hope that I am not the only one having the problem, otherwise one man's cries are not gonna be enough to make them solve the problem. (I had to refresh like 30 times before I finally posted the message)

EDITED: 1. Posting a reply/topic is a nightmare (30+ retries) compared to just reading (5+ retries) the forums (I couldn't post at all, so trying from proxy now)

2. Even when dialing the GPRS connection, it gives a couple of errors a few times before getting connected, which never happened a week ago

Try to unistall from you computer everthing related to gprs/edge dialup and restart computer than reinstall all. If still problem than try your connection with another compauter so you may know your computer is problem or set. you may also try to change mobile set / connect card and check it mingh problem with your set.

I don't think it is anything relating to my computer, and WAP and MMS on mobile are not working at all. When trying to use WAP, I get "Request timed out" error, and MMS gives "Server not responding".

I was having a feeling that it might be just this BTS (as I've had similar experience with Mobilink a year ago), so I went to two different locations in lahore to check, and WAP/GPRS and MMS both worked on mobile flawlessly there, I couldn't check on computer anywhere else, but I am almost sure that it'll work there too. Anyone having any experience or knowledge about Core GPRS network have any comments as to what might be the reason for this?

Asad, wait for a few hours and see if the problem is fixed.

my Zong internet give me nightmares.

at times it gives me great download speeds and then some other times (most of the times that'd be) there's no internet for me at all!

the browsing etc issue might be with their servers so they might fix it in a while for you.

its just that corporate culture in pakistani companies has now become similar to the 'sarkaari daftar maahol' so the tech support/help line etc, all the ppl take their jobs very lightly. everything takes time here.

I bought a Zong prepaid connection to check their service and speed last night with the impression that history is indeed going to repeat itself (Somewhat similar experience I had with mobilink a year ago), and the Warid problem won't be solved. Surprisingly enough, Zong gave me "almost" same (A little bit worse actually) problems as Warid was giving for a few days: Timeout error on WAP, most websites not working on GPRS on PC, and torrents working. The biggest surprise however was that the server IP of zong (when connected to GPRS on pc) was exactly the same as the new one of Warid (192.200.1.21).

But when I again tried Warid just now, everything is back on track and smooth as it was before (Server IP is still the same though).

I just hope that its not a "temporary" fix, cause I really don't want to change the provider.

On a side note, can anyone who is using Warid EDGE please tell the server IP they get nowadays?.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The biggest surprise however was that the server IP of zong (when connected to GPRS on pc) was exactly the same as the new one of Warid (192.200.1.21)
[/quote]

Zong uses cybernet connection at the backend, and AFAIR, Warid also uses Cybernet.

P.S. Hey Asad, do you also connect your phone via a usb cable to ur pc? or using Bluetooth or some other way?

I used to connect my previous phone via USB cable and after hours of use, it’d get slightly heat up. Now my current phone gets pretty heated up after, say, 2 hours of use. May be its caz of EDGE settings … or i guess i need to turn off USB charging, caz the battery is charged throughout that time (EDGE sucks power, phone gets moore power from USB) and hence these extra cycles warm up da battery)

Warid indeed uses Cybernet connection as well as Wateen's at backend (some sites/connections get routed from Cybernet while others from Wateen), but that comes after their SGSN>GGSN and I think the server IP (as shown in windows' connection status) is of their GGSN server.

And the external IP, as shown by websites such as http://whatismyipaddress.com/ is the one that is of either Wateen or Cybernet. Do you also get different IPs from these websites? I am getting 202.163.71.225 (Cybernet) from http://www.ip-adress.com/ and 58.27.192.2 (Wateen) from http://whatismyipaddress.com/

I use through USB cable, as it keeps charging the mobile when connected to Internet, but it does get very very hot after an hour or two, or even less if the battery was too low when connected to USB. I sometimes have seen that when speed drops to ~15KBps, and if I disconnect the mobile and turn it off for 5 minutes to let it cool down and then reconnect, the speed gets back to ~25KBps. Though it might not be totally because of mobile phone, as many times the speed keeps at ~25Kbps even if the mobile is hot. I've now placed it on a cardboard stand type place (a cream package actually) to increase airflow as my hostel room is at least 8c hotter than outside.

You are using EDGE as your primary connections as well? How has been your experience.

Warid indeed uses Cybernet connection as well as Wateen’s at backend (some sites/connections get routed from Cybernet while others from Wateen), but that comes after their SGSN>GGSN and I think the server IP (as shown in windows’ connection status) is of their GGSN server.

And the external IP, as shown by websites such as http://whatismyipaddress.com/ is the one that is of either Wateen or Cybernet. Do you also get different IPs from these websites? I am getting 202.163.71.225 (Cybernet) from http://www.ip-adress.com/ and 58.27.192.2 (Wateen) from http://whatismyipaddress.com/

[/quote]

i think they are multi homed and the best route is chosen so dependin on that u get a route selected

You are using EDGE as your primary connections as well? How has been your experience.
[/quote]

Well i’m pretty much pissed off caz of how the zong gprs coverage has been actin lately.

At night (most of the time) i get pretty decent speed, around 20KB/s, but at day times its around (10-15K) …

what pisses me off is how the EDGE service disappears from the area at once … like you may be downloadin at 25KBs for hous and a few moments later the edge signals are gone and your mobile wont show any “E” or “G” sign … and then wait for like hours till signals ‘get back’ … when its connected, the speed is pretty much ok … but only when you get the chance to connect :P

i might give ufone a try next month if i can manage the 1500+rs needed for anew postpaid + umail charges

And when the signals are lost, does restarting the phone help?

And I'll suggest you to get a pre-paid Ufone connection first to try and see its speed in your area before buying the post-paid one. Have you tried any other Operators there? If you get good signal of warid, and edge coverage, then I will suggest to try that too.

yeah if u try warid it will give u decent speed. like Asad-Ahmed said first try with prepaid sim then go for postpaid.

@ Asad-Ahmad & ShuAK,

well guys i've already got a prepaid ufone connection.

the speed on it is ok, not that good though, but i guess an always-on connection would be better than the kabhi haan, kabhi naa Zong internet.

honestly, last night, i had to upload an important document to my group and the EDGE signals were nowhere to be found (not that i'm outta range, there BTS here is probably f**ked up, i've reported 3 times already though no response) ... so i had to pickup my mobile (which was connected was usb cable to my pc) and hold it in my hands for a coupla minutes hoping and praying that EDGE signal appear ..after a few mins i saw the 'E' sign and i was like, ah atlast, then uploaded my finally before anything went wrong again ... thats the kinda situation i'm facing these days ....

so yeah, next stop, ufone or may be warid. (i have used warid once, back then speed was pretty slow, i've heard good things about them lately though)

Asad, ufone and warid has perfect coverage here.

Hmm. Interesting. Have you tried manually attaching EDGE/GPRS? I don't know which mobile phone you've got, but in my samsung, their's a "secret" GPRS/EDGE menu, which allows me to manually attach GPRS and EDGE and even set the classes (Though setting a higher class doesn't effect anything for some reason). I can even attach to GPRS only in an EDGE area.

If Warid has good signals in your area, then I'll suggest to give it a try (pre-paid). Though I must tell that even its good old days of straight 25KBps are over. Nowadays I am getting average of around 15. But I'll tell if it gets better. I hate to ask ;) , but how is Mobilink there?

well the last time i tried mobilink, i was getting like 2-4K download on GPRS, so not worth trying. With Warid, i got fed up with higher call charges, ufone and zong are ok, they dont charge THAT much.

Well i'm using Sony Ericsson K790i, it doesn't have such option. but since the problem is with Zong and not my phone (caz i've tried their edge/grps on other phones (with other zong numbers) so when the signals 'are gone', there isn't much i can do.

also, after like 2AM zong gives like 20K speed, but before that, its a night mare, like right now, i'm getting 3K download from a premium RS account :-/

i am using mobilink indigo.

speed was preety good but now i am getting too bad speed even no conectivity.

so tell me rightly about zong.

can i rely 24 hor conectivity with zong?

i wish if u could use a Nokia 6630 or 6680 or atleast Nokia 6230(in this case flashing to a certain firmware is required) coz there is a software which can force the fone to attach to certain BTS in ur range so if u cannot get GPRS from one then u will definetly get from other. it is called Field Test/Netmonitor. it also shows that if EDGE is enabled on a certain BTS or not without connecting to GPRS.

i am using mobilink indigo.

speed was preety good but now i am getting too bad speed even no conectivity.

so tell me rightly about zong.

can i rely 24 hor conectivity with zong?

[/quote]

I think Abbas’s experience (and my own) is enough to suggest that you can’t even rely on Zong for 12 Hour connectivity. With the exception of the problem mentioned in the first post, Warid has proved to be very good in terms of consistency and reliability of service.

@Abbas

Good to hear mobilink is still maybelink :D

I realize the problem isn’t with your phone, but that setting basically forces attachment to EDGE services if the BTS dropped it.

Warid is expensive? Hmm… I might have missed something, cause as far as I remember, it had lowest call rates (I compared post-paid packages only) when I bought it. But considering the competition, this might not be true anymore. For reference though, A one minute call (with 30second billing), to a landline costs Rs 1.80 (Including 25% or so taxes) with Zahi 150.

So now Warid is giving 27.5KBps. Which makes me wonder if my Mobile is limiting its speed, as its only EDGE class 10 which supports maximum of 236Kbps (29KBps).Which will suck big time.

i wish if u could use a Nokia 6630 or 6680 or atleast Nokia 6230(in this case flashing to a certain firmware is required) coz there is a software which can force the fone to attach to certain BTS in ur range so if u cannot get GPRS from one then u will definetly get from other. it is called Field Test/Netmonitor. it also shows that if EDGE is enabled on a certain BTS or not without connecting to GPRS.
[/quote]

the ‘certain’ BTS part of ur msg is sooo true.

i know that now, caz at times when the signal disappears, i know my mobile switches to some non-edge-گاوٰں والا BTS … so then i manuall do a few hand gestures like covering the cell with my hands etc, till the Gawoon-wala BTS’ signals get weaker and my cell searches for the 2nd BTS (which is the good one in my case, caz it had EDGE connectivity)…

but there isn’t any application for forcefully switching to BTS’, although i’ll search for PATCHES for my phone’s firmware, there might be such an option supported by some russian patch :P … these russian guys have done alot of crazy stuff for sony ericsson fones …although i hate to browse through google-translator … caz 20% of the words are still in russian and its freakin hard to make somethin of sentence like ‘your stove is mobile, good then basement’ … (poor translation)

So now Warid is giving 27.5KBps. Which makes me wonder if my Mobile is limiting its speed, as its only EDGE class 10 which supports maximum of 236Kbps (29KBps).Which will suck big time.
[/quote]

Really 27.5KBps??? very strange you getting that good service. What is other’s experience?