War preparation

Salaam everyone! There's too much war talk these days. I was wondering what we in Pakistan should do to prepare for it. Any thoughts? Also, can untrained civilians sign up as reserve soldiers in the Army?

@Also, can untrained civilians sign up as reserve soldiers in the Army?

I really dont know about it.

but I know if you are asking for the sake of you, about to join in Army. then I would say... this is the spirit we have.

Thanks bellskar. Just to clarify, my first qs is regarding preapring for our families safety and food, water, energy supplies etc. The next qs is, as you say, on the personal side - want to do my bit for Pakistan :)

yes exactly I answered your 2nd question only as posted along.

and ofcours yar. every one wants and wishes to prepare himself for his own safety. not only for war. but on any stage of your life when you get in trouble. this is fact.

as a first step

KICK OUT zardari and KICK in his *** gillani

second step

reconsider first step

(sorry for being political)

For a long term worthwhile thing to do, learn as much as you can about trauma care in something like a CFR [Community First Responder] course. That would include how to look after a person requiring hospital care and what to do in basic medical situations. e.g.: http://dpartpk.moonfruit.com/

in war time, be prepared to spend many hours without electricity, as they bomb our power plants and destroy our infrastructure....oh no wait, we are already well trained in this regard :D

Something I recommend:

Encourage your acquaintances to boycott Indian goods / movies / media.

We see our markets filled with Indian imports. To name a few are scissors, blades, bicycle tubes, ghutkas, sipaaris and similar stuff. If we convince people in our mohallah / galli to stop using these things we can do our little bit to not allow India for the small earns that she is getting from these goods.

A detailed discussion about the consequences of banning Indian channels / movies and media are discussed here.

These are small steps that anybody can take. They might produce small results but:

قطرہ قطرہ ہی دریا بناتا ہے

^ I always prefer Pakistani or Chinese items over Indian.

My uncle was saying that during 1971 PTV used to run short training sessions for general public for their guidance. I think this is a very good idea and our media should pick it up from PTV.

there aint gonna be a war...both countries are in economic turmoil and both cant afford it!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

in war time, be prepared to spend many hours without electricity, as they bomb our power plants and destroy our infrastructure…oh no wait, we are already well trained in this regard :D
[/quote]

hhhaa thanks to our gr8 government…v r already trained

there aint gonna be a war…both countries are in economic turmoil and both cant afford it!
[/quote]

the last big, prolonged economic recession culminated in world war 2…in fact world war 2 is credited by some with helping pull the US out of recession…

but I do agree with you there is not that much of a chance of war…but you never know what new twists and turns tomorrow brings…

there aint gonna be a war…both countries are in economic turmoil and both cant afford it!
[/quote]

but we are in struggling more than them

^ I suspect that, because after every large recession there was a war to get out of that large deep recession. WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, first Iraqi War, second Iraqi War and so on.

^ I suspect that, because after every large recession there was a war to get out of that large deep recession. WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, first Iraqi War, second Iraqi War and so on.
[/quote]

i think u r right untill first iraq war,

but this recession brought by second iraq war, and second iraq war wasnt about freedom from Saddam it was about oil and we all know… (correct me if i m wrong)

@Asad thanks thats a good point you make about learning first aid. Useful any time, war or peace.

@firestorm :D yup we're prepared for electricity failures! But not for long ones i think. I mean alternates are UPS - which will run out eventually. Generator requires fuel which would be difficult to get hold of in a war. Gas generator again is dependent on gas supply; they're already doing 'load sharing'. I don't know if solar/wind is a viable source yet? Anybody have experience using these?

well the fact is to feed an army or replenish ones ammo u need money and oil and other stuff...these both countries don't have much to gain from a war India specifically because of massive foreign investment dependence which will pull out and run to china the moment something happens....so do u think India will dare risking a war?

their software industry, call centres etc its all a thriving industry which will be directly affected!

in the case of previous wars those thriving economies or not so thriving economies were not dependent on foreign investment now were they? russsia? germany? uk? usa? japan? no!

India has a problem its internal consumption is vastly determined from the money that flows in from outside and investments which help its economy give out exports in the form of services...we on the other hand don't have that problem we have nothing to loose remember?

they have on the other hand everything to loose....

India has been greatly affected by the financial crisis, a recession in USA can easily bring in a recession in India...why? because India is just too damned connected with them in terms of outsourcing and the services sector and we all know the ripple effect!

India's boom was brought in by the obvious software sector and foriegn investments that found cheap labor in India, that in turn caused a increase in internal consumption. What do you think happens when their infrastructure and their people are threatened by the likes of a war? trade and work will suffer so ask yourself can they afford to do that?

NO :)

Iv tried to preach the whole concept in as much layman terminology as possible so that you people can gauge the situation.

Furthermore my dad's cousin works in a Qatar doing hedge funds in its second largest bank, he claims India's bse and other stocks are vastly #$%^&# he quoted that actually they are down to 15% of what they were actually and they are trying hard to portray that they are safe even though in financial circles its known India is badly #$%^&#!

yes you are correct that India won't risk war, but when jingoism takes over a nations psyche all that doesn't matter...

have you ever looked at the wars in Africa? hundreds of thousands of people starving to death yet they were still fighting wars all the while...

even one more attack like Mumbai and it could turn to war...

Iv tried to preach the whole concept in as much layman terminology as possible so that you people can gauge the situation.
[/quote]

why, how humble and kind of you sir, thank you so very much :P