Want to buy a dish antenna - Help!

I live in Islamabad. I want to buy a dish antenna or something to watch Pakistani and a few English channels (Discovery, National Geoghraphic etc) for which I have to pay only once. Currently I have PTCL Smart TV which SUCKS!! I don't want to pay any kind of monthly to anyone for subscription etc. Is it possible? From where can I buy it in Islamabad? How reliable is it? Please help me out.

Thanks

AOA brother ...

em not an expert but have been using dish antenna for last 10 years ...

brother buying a dish antenna doesnt ensure that you have paid for everything ... and you can watch all the tv channels of your choice .. if it were nobody would be paying monthly charges to cable operators and other sources ..

there are two types of tv channel one is FTA ( free to Air) and other Pay-tv channels ...

for FTA channels you dont have to pay even a single penny . u just need to buy a dish antenna system to watch all such channel free of cost .. and you know nothing enticing or valueable thing in the world comes free :) .

but there are the channels which charge for their Transmission on monthly , half-yearly and yearly Basis. so just buying a dish antenna doesnt allow you to recive such channels ... you have to buy a decoder device with antena which costs more than dish antenna system , its specific for a particular channel package .. you cann't use it for any other package ... e.g u purchased a decoder device for Star-Package in 10000 , you cant use same device for zee-pakage if u r no more intrested in star-pakage , means for each particular package u will have to spend for decoder device , thats not the end you will have to buy package which shall expire half-yearly or yearly .... it might cost you 10000 to 20000 depending upon the package you chose ..

at the end I simplify that you cant receive the channels like " National Geo Graphics , Discovery , Geo-Supper , Animal Planet , starworld , Zee-Cinmea , Sony , Geo-Midaleast etc with just a dish antenna system. you will have to buy decoder device and annual or semi-annual tv pakage .

so brother dish antenna can never be a substitute for Cable Tv or PTCL Smart TV ... so dont buy it as susbstitute .... you will get disappointed ...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I live in Islamabad. I want to buy a dish antenna or something to watch Pakistani and a few English channels (Discovery, National Geoghraphic etc) for which I have to pay only once. Currently I have PTCL Smart TV which SUCKS!! I don’t want to pay any kind of monthly to anyone for subscription etc. Is it possible? From where can I buy it in Islamabad? How reliable is it? Please help me out.

Thanks

[/quote]

some of the points which will be enough for you to have an idea.

1-you will get free to air channels only

2-if you are thinking that you can avail channels like Nat Geo on dish antenna then forget about it.

3-you can not watch paid channels

4-you can not watch encrypted channels, you need decoders and subscription cards for them (or atleast cracked solutions but still you need decoders)

(you can not get even all free to air channels with a single antenna.)

so in short your PTCL smart tv or atleast the cable operators subscription charges are the most lowest than you would have in any other solution.

Thanks leo_hai and bellskar. I guess it was not a smart idea to start with. I think I'll look out for a local cable wala then because PTCL Smart TV has got some serious issues because of faulty PTCL lines.

Thanks again both of you for your valuable advice. :)

@Keanu

You may visit:

http://pakistani-forum.com/

Here enough discussion goes on your desired dish antenna. I think they have many packages with sharing and they provide you free and paid services also for opening paid channels.

I am also registered there.

Keanu, There is one more thing you can do...

If you have dsl (512kbps, 1mbps or Higher) in your home, you can then watch many tv channels on your pc for free.

set up dish antenna and set HOTBIRD and watch hot channels

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

set up dish antenna and set HOTBIRD and watch hot channels
[/quote]

I guess you have enjoyed much of them… ;)

Buddy nothing to worry about.. get a hold of dm500s from Lahore Hall road ,get 6feet solid dish antenna,when you have all this then I can further guide you how to grab all these expensive packages, like multichoice,Nova,Dialog etc etc.The thing which am talking about is cardsharing :P Its NOT easy to do it but its the only way to go or else legally subscribing to these packages is too expensive.Legally if you will get multichoice package then man you have to pay 16,000 for 2 months ..which is quite expensive.The cards are quite expensive.

FOr NATGEO and all you can get dishtv which isn't that much costly,its round about 6500-7000 and per month its like 600-700 Rs.Anyways good luck

^ I have 6 ft solid dish with Echolink 888 super plus. Help me what should I do. At this moment I am watching AsiaSat3s and NSS6.

friends dont complicate things for youself , just get a local cable connection to enjoy .... paying 150-300 per month is much better than this dish antenna setup .

Antenna Allignment is also a big issue and monsoon season is about to start .... do u want to keep yourself busy in aligning dish antena everyother day :) after wind storms.

One must be completely idle to engage in activities like cardsharing which requires lot of mental and pysical labour with alot of time and resources like DSL connection , knowledge abt making receiver's cables for sharing , process of receiver's software upgradation , D-line , P-line :)) bala bala ...

dont mess up your life friendsssssss ..... just get a cable connection to save your time , money , and above all contentment .... :)

n Friends dont think of me to be a Cable_Wala :)) .

^Mr. Cable Wala

In my area no cable, no IPTV exists. Then what could I do?

^ Let me repeat.

"If you have dsl (512kbps, 1mbps or Higher) in your home, you can then watch many tv channels on your pc for free."

OK guys can anyone help me find a cable operator in Islamabad? I have no idea where to start searching for one. I live in G-8. Now that I'm totally disappointed from dish antenna, I don't mind paying more than Rs. 400 per month for cable but quality has to be good.

^^DSL is also not available in my area. lol

Now come with some new idea.

well dere if u r mufta kind of person then go for a receiver and a dish tv , some receivers offers 40 channels all u have to do is to buy dish tv once , n u wil have 40 channels for free.. :)

wrong thread, plz ignore.

keanu if you still want to go for a free to air dish setup here is some information (you have to have some money to do this though)

first look at the channels in the local satellite magazine and see what satellite you want to watch then tell you cable wala

it is always better to go for local cable option though

anyways here is the info

1. to get a dish antenna setup you have to have at least a 8 feet dish (bigger would be better for foreign channels) cost: 4000-5000 approx (price may have gone up)

2. to watch free to air channels get a receiver like echolink whos code are available over the internet cost approx 2500 for echolink to 3000 rs for other decoders (the cable wala will know and he will set them for you)

3. get multiple lnbs (different bands) so you can pick up multiple satellites cost aprox 600 - 1500 rs (lnbs are those litttle things in the middle of the dish)

4. wire too and from your house will cost you as well

now to set it up get a cheap cable wala to do it for you,,,also they will come to your house every couple of weeks to reset it whenveer you want (for a price ofcourse)

Hello.

I am from Lahore and i want to set dish, plz advise what is the suitable site (Euro Bord, Hot Bird etc etc). Someone plz advise me complete so i will decide after that.

Whether i need 4FT or 6FT Dish.

Thanks and awaiting.

Hey Keanu, Get a worldcall cable connection in your area from a local cable operator and for more information see all posts on this topic : http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7238 and you will definitely get delighted and feel more relaxed.

let me know about your progress and if you need any help in this regard, I would be glad to do that and hey I have noticed that few cable operators are misleading customers so beware and be cautious.