WAMP,XAMPP or anyother?

I'm thinking of learning of php these days, So when i had a look over requirements i found that I must have sql database, php and apache server. I downloaded them separately and gave them a try but to no avail, I couldn't integrate them successfully. Then I searched further and found out that these software are available in the form of bundle so WAMP and XAMPP came out to be the best according to users online.

Even these softwares require settings.

Is there any software that i can just "next" "next" and "finish" and start learning php?

Are these software altogether needed?

Please help me in this regard.

I am very new so please help me out.

my advice to u is to use XAMPP as it comes with mySQL as well as Apache which u will require for learning php

and plus the setup of XAMPP is super easy and all the things you require are integrated with it

^^

So these things are must, without having them I can't learn php.

:/

^ i m not sure as i m not an expert with php

but i think the bare essentials are Apache and mysql

the php experts here like isharis and Asad_N can shed some more light on this

^^^

Thanks Ruhaan, would wait for the experts to comment.

One more thing through some googling i have come to know that the best resource to learn php is their official guide or documentation, whatever u say. Is it true and if not can anyone of the experts help me choosing a good book or online resource.

Get an ebook to learn PHP. Try "Build your own database driven website using PHP & MySQL 3rd Edition", by Kevin Yank. And keep their official documentation handy to lookup functions.

XAMPP should work fine.

Thanks Asad bhai. I will give it a try.

XAMPP/wamp (i recommend xampp) aren't software to make you learn php they are just to try the scripts you make

^^^

Rightly said but trying the scripts is also part of learning i guess. ;)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I’m thinking of learning of php these days, So when i had a look over requirements i found that I must have sql database, php and apache server. I downloaded them separately and gave them a try but to no avail, I couldn’t integrate them successfully. Then I searched further and found out that these software are available in the form of bundle so WAMP and XAMPP came out to be the best according to users online.

Is there any software that i can just “next” “next” and “finish” and start learning php?

[/quote]

WAMP XAMP are server packages… they are the LAMP (linux , apache, Mysql , PHP) distributions…install and click the package.

How to code and learn in php is taught by books and tutorials online .To try things out in real world u need WAMP XAMP LAMP software. If you do not use LAMP software then all you can do is read the book and imagine it happening :)

^ LAMP is only for the linux side

while XAMPP n WAMP are for windows

so to learn php LAMP is not required at all

If you do not use LAMP software then all you can do is read the book and imagine it happening :)
[/quote]

LOLs at

"Imagine it happening"

Thats what happening mostly in our educational institutes including universities.

^ LAMP is only for the linux side

while XAMPP n WAMP are for windows

so to learn php LAMP is not required at all

[/quote]

ruhaan XAMPP WAMP are all LAMPs (that is a bundle of apache mysql php etc)

^ LAMP stands for Linux Apache MySQl n Apache

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

obviously pointin to the fact that lamp is linux specific

^^

So these things are must, without having them I can’t learn php.

:confused:

[/quote]

Lol. Your post is very funny. You want to learn PHP right? What are you going to do once you learn PHP? Make a desktop word processor? PHP is a web development language. If you want to learn PHP you will also have to learn basics of HTTP technology, XHTML, web server software like Apache or IIS and a SQL DBMS like MySQL. You will have to learn all of that. So don’t look upon it as a waste of time. Its part and parcel of learning PHP.

Personally I suggest you first master XHTML. When it comes right down to it PHP is used to generate XHTML pages and so you should know XHTML.

Now you said that you had problems integrating apache, mysql and php? Then ask specific questions about your problems and maybe we can help you. For starters is the apache service running on your computer. If you visit http://localhost/manual/ can you see the apache documentation?

^ LAMP stands for Linux Apache MySQl n Apache

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

obviously pointin to the fact that lamp is linux specific

[/quote]

LAMP stands for Linux Apache MySQl n PHP/PERL/PYTHON

U forgot to read P properly…

u can install LAMP on Windows OS…too

Lol. Your post is very funny. You want to learn PHP right? What are you going to do once you learn PHP? Make a desktop word processor? PHP is a web development language. If you want to learn PHP you will also have to learn basics of HTTP technology, XHTML, web server software like Apache or IIS and a SQL DBMS like MySQL. You will have to learn all of that. So don’t look upon it as a waste of time. Its part and parcel of learning PHP.

Personally I suggest you first master XHTML. When it comes right down to it PHP is used to generate XHTML pages and so you should know XHTML.

Now you said that you had problems integrating apache, mysql and php? Then ask specific questions about your problems and maybe we can help you. For starters is the apache service running on your computer. If you visit http://localhost/manual/ can you see the apache documentation?

[/quote]

I have the basic knowledge of HTML. After learning it I thought I should go into some more advanced scripting language. You are finding the post funny coz I asked them in a really childish way to understand the things better.

I will definitely ask specific questions and would love to have your thoughts on them.

I’m thinking of learning of php these days, So when i had a look over requirements i found that I must have sql database, php and apache server. I downloaded them separately and gave them a try but to no avail, I couldn’t integrate them successfully. Then I searched further and found out that these software are available in the form of bundle so WAMP and XAMPP came out to be the best according to users online.

Is there any software that i can just “next” “next” and “finish” and start learning php?

[/quote]

wamp and xampp are pretty much the same. wamp needs some configuration to access it from LAN, So i stick with xampp always. its a zero config affair (unless u already have services running on default ports. you will have to stop them)