Voltage Stabilizer on UPS

Is it safe to install a (Servomotor) Voltage Stabilizer on a UPS?

Will it increase the consumption of the UPS?

I just need DSL modem and a WiFi Router to work on UPS..

Good quality UPS already have AVR built-in. In rare cases, you need to install voltage regulator (AVR) at the input of the UPS. There is no sense in putting an AVR on the UPS output as the UPS inverter usually gives out stable output.

Why do you want / need to install an AVR with a UPS anyway?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Good quality UPS already have AVR built-in. In rare cases, you need to install voltage regulator (AVR) at the input of the UPS. There is no sense in putting an AVR on the UPS output as the UPS inverter usually gives out stable output.

Why do you want / need to install an AVR with a UPS anyway?

[/quote]

I think it would be for the protection of sensitive equipment in case the UPS messes up by sending an excess influx of voltage.

may be he is using a desi UPS like me, which (i.e. mine) gives an output of 240V while on battery

^ may be that's the case. I'll let the poster respond before making any more guesses.

@Asad_N. Even Desi UPS can never send input voltage directly to the output. There is an option of manual bypass in industrial class UPS (usually double conversion types) which I am sure he is not using. Typical home use UPS units (Desi or not, doesn't matter) convert 12/24V DC to 220-240V AC and while the output may become lower than 220V but it will never go higher.

Yes, it's a desi UPS.

Never actually measured the output level of the UPS, but the lights are dim on UPS. So i thought to get my Shiro DSL modem (famous for being very bad on high/low voltages) on UPS + AVR.

PS: The router restarts when UPS takes over from KESC , so you can judge the quality of desi UPS :) [Altough, it didnt happen a month ago, i think the batteries of UPS are low; but this was NOT the reason of me installing AVR].

If it's just the issue of router restarting due to switchover delay, put a capacitor between the router's adapter and the router. I myself am experimenting with using a 4700µF electrolytic capacitor on a circuit board to ensure that the router doesn't resets during switchover from Main supply to UPS.

Hmm, got it! Can you show the picture of the circuit?

PS: from the output of the adaptor, i install the positive lead of capacitor, how to connect the negative lead to the modem?

Hmm, got it! Can you show the picture of the circuit?

PS: from the output of the adaptor, i install the positive lead of capacitor, how to connect the negative lead to the modem?

[/quote]

routercircuitei3.jpg

+12V 0-----------------0--------------------0

|

12V from ___ +

Router adapter ___ Capacitor Male Pin to router

| -

GND 0-----------------0--------------------0

This is not the final circuit. I might add a couple resistors or diodes later to improve it.

If it’s just the issue of router restarting due to switchover delay, put a capacitor between the router’s adapter and the router. I myself am experimenting with using a 4700µF electrolytic capacitor on a circuit board to ensure that the router doesn’t resets during switchover from Main supply to UPS.
[/quote]

Ditto. I am using the same thing for my wireless router & DSL modem due to same problem! :D

Can anyone of you build it and send me?

Kuya, did you go to Cooperative for the Adaptor input and output ports?

Finding these ports in an issue...!

Capacitors; solder; board; i have!

^ Nope. Asad's contraption is more neat that my arrangement.

I simply hacked the wire midway and soldered the capacitor in between the two wires.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8999/routercircuitei3.jpg

+12V 0-----------------0--------------------0

|

12V from ___ +

Router adapter ___ Capacitor Male Pin to router

| -

GND 0-----------------0--------------------0

This is not the final circuit. I might add a couple resistors or diodes later to improve it.

[/quote]

I am using HUAWEI HG510 modem with the 12 volt power supply and i want to do that capacitor thing with it but when i checked the output with multimeter than i found that it is in fact a 12 volt AC supply.

Since it is an AC supply, so my question is that should i connect the cap in series? also u have mentioned that u are going to add some resistors and diodes also, would u tell me why do u want to add diodes and resistors?