1) Using VOIP/Video (webcam) features of MSN/Yahoo/Skype - computer to computer

2) Using VOIP with Yahoo/Skype - computer to phone

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

What’s the legal status on

1) Using VOIP/Video (webcam) features of MSN/Yahoo/Skype - computer to computer

2) Using VOIP with Yahoo/Skype - computer to phone

[/quote]

legal status in which country?

if u are talking about pakistan… # 1 is legal …#2 is illegal…rights for option 2 are held by PTCL in Pk…

ok let me ask you a question you say #2 is illegal and rights are held by PTCL, if PTCL is not offering it to people like me whose business can save huge amount of money using voip then whats its good for me, its simply ghunda gardi that you hold the rights but don’t offer it to public when public uses some other voip then you hit them back with rights bull #$%#.

its the same example that there is a river which PTCL hold all the rights of water and there are bunch of people who are thirsty and they are willing to pay decent amount to PTCL for water from the river but PTCL don’t give them a drop of water, when there is some other company comes along and say that we can buy water from them, then PTCL jumps in hey thats illegal we are the only company who can sell water here and no one else can’t… this is total crap PTCL can go to hell.

I use american company vonage voip and it works fantastic in pakistan and its damn cheap 25 bucks a month unlimited calling to NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE plus local USA number with free voip adapter (no computer required). crystal clear voice omn my 256kbs connection.

[/quote]

the monoply of voip was sold to ptcl for money by gov. of Pakistan… when ptcl say “f*** PTCL” why people forget they paid for that PTCL company too…

their actions are bad in peoples eyes but they are running biznis too… and biznis needs monoply as long as competition comes and law n order prevails

welcome to the corporate world…

>the monoply of voip was sold to ptcl for money by gov. of Pakistan.. when ptcl say "f*** PTCL" why people forget they paid for that PTCL company too..

This raises two questions:

1) was it wise to give a monopoly on VoIP to ONE COMPANY (true it may have been a monopoly semi-govt. company earlier - it would have been a problem even then as it would damage innovation - but it is even worse now that PTCL is a private organization)

2) what did PTCL pay for this privilege ? (or did the govt. wink to PTCL buyers that they WOULD have some type of monopoly

Can PTCL actually monitor violations ? PIE maybe able to do so - but is PIE in the business of monitoring for interests of monopolies ?

The reality is lots of people maybe using other providers - and some COULD probably use non-PTCL providers with the rationale that they are doing so for FAULT-TOLERANT backup.

If on occasion PTCL is not able to provider fault-tolerant service - they maybe some clauses in the law which ALLOW the customer to have secondary backups. Of course once they have secondary backups they could use them all the time.

Guys Option #2 is legal too. Who tells u this misinfo? if you don't believe me just goto this www.braintel.com this is BrainTel operating in Lahore purely on VoIP.

The only illegal thing in VoIP is if you start terminating Foreign calls into Local Circuit this is called "illegal Exchange". This is not allowed at all, and why its illegal because Telecom Operators are granted license to Terminate Intl. Voice calls into local circuits. Telecom operators charge fees from the Caller Telephone company.

If you start accepting Calls from Internet and terminate it into local circuit you are bypassing PTCL or anyother licensed telecom company which charge for it.

Guys Option #2 is legal too. Who tells u this misinfo? if you don’t believe me just goto this www.braintel.com this is BrainTel operating in Lahore purely on VoIP.

The only illegal thing in VoIP is if you start terminating Foreign calls into Local Circuit this is called “illegal Exchange”. This is not allowed at all, and why its illegal because Telecom Operators are granted license to Terminate Intl. Voice calls into local circuits. Telecom operators charge fees from the Caller Telephone company.

If you start accepting Calls from Internet and terminate it into local circuit you are bypassing PTCL or anyother licensed telecom company which charge for it.

[/quote]

Ok, this seems right. It is the terminating of calls INTO pakistani local numbers that would be a problem.

However, how do cell phone providers do that ? Is the restriction only into pakistani landline (i.e. PTCL) calls ?

What if someone is running a cable network or GOCDMA or cell phone network and they terminate calls from outside Pakistan to those phone numbers ?

Are those covered by PTCL also ? Why ? Does PTCL have monopoly over incoming calls to any “phone number” ?

Does it give sufficient royalty for that ?

if a cell phone provider is doing it, then it must be having a Termination License other wise the provider will be screwed.

By the way i have noticed so many foreign calls on my PTCL with a local number in CLI this is what happened when an Illegal Exchange comes into play.

Don't know the rules about Pakistan but in India TRAI (their telecom regulators) asks ppl to report calls which shows a local number but are coming from outside India.

Establishing an Illegal Exchange is pretty easy, Install Asterisk Server (Free software) and you are done after some configuration and couple of phone lines.

International call termination can be studied here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_telecommunications_routes