Visiting Pakistan. Where can I access broadband?

Assalamu-alaikum to everyone

I will be in Pakistan next month visiting Karachi, Lahore and Multan.

Can someone tell me of any places where I can access a broadband connection? Any internet cafe, hotels or even wireless access points in Karachi or Lahore then please let me know.

The dialup cards were too slow for me when I came last year. It is hard to go back to dialup when you are used to broadband!

For reference I am staying in Al-Faisal Town, Lahore and North Nazimabad, Karachi.

Thanks for the help my fellow Pakistanis

I think an Edge connection would work for you

that's all i think of right now

Thats right, go for edge/gprs connection

Broadband is available in Faisal Town, i don't know about Nazimabad.

Either one of the mobile connections or a satellite one...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Assalamu-alaikum to everyone

I will be in Pakistan next month visiting Karachi, Lahore and Multan.

Can someone tell me of any places where I can access a broadband connection? Any internet cafe, hotels or even wireless access points in Karachi or Lahore then please let me know.

The dialup cards were too slow for me when I came last year. It is hard to go back to dialup when you are used to broadband!

For reference I am staying in Al-Faisal Town, Lahore and North Nazimabad, Karachi.

Thanks for the help my fellow Pakistanis

[/quote]

Just get a connection of WORLD CALL , they have their cable modem service in faisal town lahore , just get a cheap connection , i will provide u their servers proxy , so u will get much faster speed. all u have to do is when u come to pk , contact me

Thanks for the replies anyone. As I will be moving around from week to week the best option for me is either some mobile option if it is reasonably priced but I would prefer just somewhere where I can go and use broadband for an hour everyday.

How much are the mobile options and what are the costs involved? I will be in Pakistan for a total of 4 weeks.

As someone who has only spent a total of 5 weeks in Pakistan I'm not clued up on how things work there!

well its obvious that you are not gonna download movies/games or any thing heavy (unless you are on a business trip), so why not use internet cafes. now days every big city internet cafe got broadband. Will work perfect for you.

well its obvious that you are not gonna download movies/games or any thing heavy (unless you are on a business trip), so why not use internet cafes. now days every big city internet cafe got broadband. Will work perfect for you.
[/quote]

I agree I’m happy to use internet cafes. However, I went last year but no one could tell me of an internet cafe that had broadband access! This is why I’m asking here.

However, please do explain to me the mobile options as if it sounds reasonable then I may opt for that as I would then have the internet on demand. I don’t plan on downloading movies or games but a accessing things like online video etc. is a bit rubbish on dialup. Minutes to download a youtube video is no fun!

Rooms in all 5 star hotels (karachi, lahore, isl)

now have broadband for their customers. And

that's what most foreigners do in hotels now-

adays, surf the net.

Just walk into a lobby of any 5 star hotel and

you'll usually see a dozen people just sitting

there, drinking coffee and surfing away.

Sheikh 'Mush! Mush!!' Chilli

Thanks for the replies anyone. As I will be moving around from week to week the best option for me is either some mobile option if it is reasonably priced but I would prefer just somewhere where I can go and use broadband for an hour everyday.

How much are the mobile options and what are the costs involved? I will be in Pakistan for a total of 4 weeks.

As someone who has only spent a total of 5 weeks in Pakistan I’m not clued up on how things work there!

[/quote]

Buy a new sim,Zong has unlimited package and hourly package for gprs/edge. Would work with your existing cell(most probably) if it uses GSM technology. Easiest way if you ask me. Use the hourly package.

Its not very good,but Okay for a month. Would’t cost you too much either. If you are willing to pay more,you can get Telenor Post paid with unlimited(2 GB) internet. That works better but would cost you more, around 4-5 thousand including security. I am not sure you have to check. +plus there is 1000 rs one time “activation fee”. Its not worth it.

But thats the only option(where it is available,mostly it is) for edge if you plan on travelling to small cities. For Lahore and Karachi,or Islamabad of Faisalabad Zong is cheap and practical.

You can try mobilink unlimited gprs,it is available on a post paid connection only. So is UFone and Warid. Mobilink edge coverage is second best to Telenor.

Mobilink conenction would cost you 2000rs(including 2000 security which they would take two months to return after you close the connection) and Rs.600 +taxes/Month. Line rent is charged daily. So they would charge for the period you use it.

Ufone and Warid( I think) cost the same.

Zong Sim was cost 150 rs(I think) with 75 Rs. credit. And you would have to activate hourly internet package by calling a number 900 something(free).

Then they would charge you something like 20 odd rupees per hour and would charge you per minute.

Its 500+ taxes for month’s unlimited access. I strongly recommend you test the connection FIRST before subcribing to any unlimited package.

And yeah Warid and Telenor “unlimited” download package have a 2gb cap.

Hope that helps you. Don’t use Wateen Wimax,they have very little coverage. Once you move,there is no guarentee you would get the coverage. And you would have to go to franchise and tell them you have moved,or by phone. I am pretty sure you have to go to franchise…

Dont use wateen thats the least I can warn you of

If you are on a quick visit like a week or two then I'll suggest you to not to waste time into getting something that has many red-ribbons.

Instead, get something that is easy to get and easy to use and satisfy general web surfing.

Get a cell phone SIM, you'll get it within half an hour (including filling the form). Get a cheap cell phone that has EDGE support. Connect your cell phone (using BlueTooth or USB) to your laptop and use internet in major parts of Pakistan.

No hassle, no wait.

P.S. If you want speed then go to any netcafe. Most of them has high speed broadband.