Virtual University

Any body has experience studying in VU? if any one please let me know.

Do you get VTV1 and VTV2 @ home?

I am currently doing MIT from VU...I think VU is gr8...since i am also doing job, so it suits me the best...u dont need to goto the campus, simply get the lecture DVD's and take lectures at ur convenience...but one thing i must warn u pre-hand, if you can take out atleast 5 hours everyday becoz its 3 lectures everyday and 18 credit hours in one semester...so make up your mind...becoz its not at all easy degree...they really take the juice out of you...but if you really are serious about having quality education and economical too...then VU is the best...They have hired the best professors who have recorded all the lectures...and the lectures are so well planned and comprehensive, that u hardly have any questions...you only have to goto the campus for the exams...atleast thats wat i do...

if you need any further information....u r most welcome...

Regards..

Can I get lectures of VU without enrolling to any program?

^ Yes, from urdu bazar or you can get them at selected centres. Check out vu.edu.pk

Well I think no, you cannot get the video lectures without enrolling; however u can try your luck at

http://bookshop.vu.edu.pk/

make your account and try to place the order of which ever subject u want...u have to deposit the amount in Bank Alfalah and then wait for 1 week for the delivery...if the DVD is readily available...

I hope that helps..

Regards..

I already checked the site , most of the DVDs and study materials are out of stock :/

Surprising how I did not come across this channel before. Just saw it while scanning the VU ad in the paper.

http://www.youtube.com/vu

Close to 5000 vids and that too not short ones, but about hour long. Unfortunately, no playlists, so finding things may not be easy, but if you look up courses on vu site http://www.vu.edu.pk/ and then search on the channel by course number (such as mth101), the relevant vids show up.

Select the program of study from the vu site, courses are listed by semester for the degree, plug in the course number in the youtube channel, and you have the vids.

Anyways, surprised this did not receive much exposure. Very good initiative by the VU people.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Surprising how I did not come across this channel before. Just saw it while scanning the VU ad in the paper.

http://www.youtube.com/vu

Close to 5000 vids and that too not short ones, but about hour long. Unfortunately, no playlists, so finding things may not be easy, but if you look up courses on vu site http://www.vu.edu.pk/ and then search on the channel by course number (such as mth101), the relevant vids show up.

Select the program of study from the vu site, courses are listed by semester for the degree, plug in the course number in the youtube channel, and you have the vids.

Anyways, surprised this did not receive much exposure. Very good initiative by the VU people.

[/quote]

Thanx bro, i was looking for that myself. I watched a few lectures on TV and they were awesome. I will recommend even the students of other universities to watch these lectures.

http://vulms.vu.edu.pk/Links/Library.htm

Lecture handouts for some courses

Im gonna get admission in spring 2009 at VU

Is the degree acquired from VU has any value in Pakistan and abraod?

The degree from VU is HEC recognized. That makes it worldwide recognized as well.

I'm getting admission in BS in spring 2009 too :D

at home or virtual main campus?

The degree from VU is HEC recognized. That makes it worldwide recognized as well.
[/quote]

I would beg to differ. The question melleck asked was would such a degree have any value in Pakistan and abroad. And the very honest answer would be in Pakistan it would definitely have less value compared to established universities like LUMS, NED, UET etc, and abroad it will have even lesser value.

If you aim to be employed in a certain company/industry or intend on going abroad for higher studies or work, then I suggest you do some thorough research before going for such an online program. To obtain more information you can contact HR departments of different companies, or email universities abroad to see if they would recognize this degree.

You really just have to keep one thing in mind. There are a lot of people in the world and there is an insane level of competition. How would your decisions when it comes to academic qualifications or work experience help you compete with those people? So always try to keep these things in mind and try to aim for the very best possible in your individual situation. Especially when you’re trying to get a job in developed countries, you’ll be up against the best of the best from all over the world. Can you beat them?

I understand Virtual University aims to close the education gap for the people who can’t afford expensive universities or live in remote places, but a lot of people seem to get lazy and go for a VU degree as an easy alternative. If you have a better option then you shouldn’t hesitate to take it.

^ Well I agree with Sah. Definitely it has lesser value compared to degrees in LUMS, IBM and other well reputed Institutes, But I had a talk with one of the VU person before applying for the course. VU is a new institute and getting popular compared to already established institutes, but what VU is doing, providing you a world class education with lesser investment. Plus I Dint mean its value is equal to top class institutes but still VU hold the recognition of HEC which make its degree wprld wide recognized.

If we look at the VU about us page. Here what It clearly mentions.

The Virtual University, Pakistan’s first University based completely on modern Information and Communication Technologies, was established by the Government as a public sector, not-for-profit institution with a clear mission: to provide extremely affordable world class education to aspiring students all over the country.

[/quote]

Again about the recognition of the degree it says.

The Virtual University of Pakistan holds a Federal Charter, making its degrees recognized and accepted all over the country as well as overseas.

[/quote]

Here is a FAQ

Q. Will I be able to continue my education in any other university after obtaining a degree from VU?

Ans. Definitely. In fact, VU graduates are already pursuing their MS and higher studies at top universities both within Pakistan as well as abroad.

[/quote]

^ And all this information is obtained from VU website! Do you actually think they'll say 'No, we're not recognized by companies or foreign universities even though HEC officially recognizes us'? Ask companies or other universities, and then see how they view a degree from VU.

^ sorry sah i will contradict. All universities have a 16 years requirement plus GPA or percentage. A student from VU can take admin in any university of the world as it it HEC recognized. I have even seen graduates from preston university working in many companies, and people from reputed universities jobless. Its all about luck and hard work.

Well guys suddenly I (a quite reader of Wired Pakistan) have got up. Now I will also post regularly because today I thoroughly checked number of posts by other members. And amazingly everyone is participating at a bullet trains speed. Now coming to the topic.

As you can also see my name "Imran VU:, I am student of VU. I am doing my BSIT (Bachelor of Science in Information technology) and I am waiting for my 4th semester's result, and on 20th April our mid term exam of 5th semester is starting.

I will tell you my experience.

After FSC I tried to get admitted in Comsat ISB but unlucky, rather it would be quite rite to say...I did not performed well in the NTS test, so no way of getting there.

I had seen some guys who were learning through this VU system, I liked it and then I got admitted in VU because I being living in a rural place had not too many options for CS or IT related Degree. As VU was HEC recognized it was second good thing.

Now I come to the quality of VU. Well in the beginning two semesters it was not very hard but the VU authorities were continuously getting smart. Some how the cheating tactics were also available in the very beginning of the VU (flash, networking etc.) but in that oldy goldy era I was doing my FSC and was not yet admitted. When I got admitted in VU, the examiners starting coming from Lahore or out of city, so many people were annoyed due to such steps but it's the part of the game.

Now I tell you new reality, which is quite a bitter reality. Now VU has changed it's policies significantly. Now every paper is online, in the supervision of a superintendent and his assistance appointed by VU. You are given an option to select your own date sheet, where most students select their paper according to their own preparation and other stuff they have in their mind. But some people also try to make their date sheet with consultation of other students but I think all that is rubbish because BAKRAY KE MAA KUB TUK HAIR MANAYE GE.

But one dilemma that I have not yet explained is:

Every student has its own paper. If 4 people are sitting in a room, their subject is same, then be careful about 80% of your paper will be different. this makes hell out of you. OH MY GOD I AM SO ALONE IN THIS WORLD. Same is the case when people try to be clever by having dates other then their mates, as in that scenario paper will not gonna be same.

In other universities, you will not see such rules, there everyone's paper is not different. Now they are getting more smarter, they are also developing such capabilities through which they can find out about the cheating involved in assignments and papers. ssh don't tell anybody, I also got two shunnay 0 0 in two assignments in last semester due to my over cleverness as I sent my friends assignment.

Well the system is very good. It gives you opportunity. If you have creativity then you are the king, otherwise time passers may get admitted in LUMS, may also get in a good organization but at some day they will be kicked off because they need your skills not your degree.

I have a advice for SATAN, change your program to 2years BSC. After completing your 2years program, you have the option to continue. If you are extra ordinary, then you will also be able to get a job some where, and you may resume your studies with that job. At the end of the BS you will have almost 2 years experience which will be quite handy.

Everyone will be having a some sort of image in his mind, what is good merit institute but guys at the end of the day, people will only hire you for your skills, they want the way in which you could benefit their organization.

In last I would say, come in VU as Uncle Mush is gone, and his program of seven foreign universities campus in Pakistan also went with him. We should not hesitate, if merit is problem or if their is a financial problem, and just like me if you are living in a rural area, VU is a good option. Don't waste your time, just like a friend of mine who wants to get admitted only in UK but has wasted already his two years in VISA Chakar after his FSC. Learn here, if you get CGPA greater then 3, then you will have bright chances to apply for MS in a foreign country but all what is required is: skills, abilities and creativity. These things will only come in us, if we work hard and become a insane (JANOONI) in your field. Think like, now you have burn your boats and you have to reach the other bank of the river in any way. Always think like you are the DON of your field in the near future.

Edit Oct 15, 2009

ADDITION ADDITION ADDITION

One thing more. If you wanna know about this university and the video lectures, handouts and stuff like that then do visit:

http://www.vu.edu.pk/

OR

http://vulms.vu.edu.pk/

If you want to purchase these CD's/DVD's of video lectures then you can order them online from VU Bookshop:

http://bookshop.vu.edu.pk/

If you don't have money then you also have an option of getting all this stuff online from VU content Library(downloadable handouts/notes) and Youtube (for video lectures).

VU Content Library for handouts/notes with their codes.

http://vulms.vu.edu.pk/Library/library.aspx

Youtube for Video Lectures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vu

You will require VU course code for watching the lecture on youtube, e.g. for Data structure code is CS301. You can also see other subjects and their codes on VU content library's page which is given above.

When you will enter CS301_Lecture01 in the search you will easily find your lecture. Remember you need to write code in this way:

CS301_Lecture02

CS301_Lecture40

CS501_Lecture29

Change the code and lecture number and you will get your desired lecture.