VGA to HDMI Solution

I wanted to connect my laptop to my lcd tv. Although my lcd do have HDMI slot, but unfortunately laptop doesnt have one. So i was wondering if tbere is a solution for VGA to HDMI.

I know HDMI and DVI transmit digital signals while VGA transmit analog signals, thats what i gained from googling. My major beef with VGA to VGA connection is i have to connect external speakers rather than using the lcd speakers.

So any solution?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I wanted to connect my laptop to my lcd tv. Although my lcd do have HDMI slot, but unfortunately laptop doesnt have one. So i was wondering if tbere is a solution for VGA to HDMI.

I know HDMI and DVI transmit digital signals while VGA transmit analog signals, thats what i gained from googling. My major beef with VGA to VGA connection is i have to connect external speakers rather than using the lcd speakers.

So any solution?

[/quote]

Even if there’s VGA to HDMI solution available (which I highly doubt), That VGA to HDMI connection to your LCD won’t carry the sound cause VGA signal doesn’t carry sound signals, at least not in normal cases that we are used to of like watching movies which we dload from torrents etc . so If VGA to VGA solution is available, take it. Either connect your speakers to laptop for sound OR if your LCD has 3.5mm ‘in’ audio jack for sound in then use laptop’s 3.5mm out audio jack -to- LCD’s 3.5mm in audio jack to get synced audio sound out of your LCD.

I stand corrected.

Oh i see.

i guess i'll rather buy some better external speakers for the lcd..

Not really if your LCD speakers are good and have 3.5mm in audio jack or the normal component/composite audio jacks.

[quote=“Faisal, post:3, topic:15384”]

Even HDMI carries audio signals only if you use em with stand alone Bluray players or BD drives with actual bluray disc in them.

[/quote]

Na Faisal its not like that, HDMI was meant to carry voice signal while playing at any medium, Main difference in HDMI and VGA is of digital and analog signal, and DVI and HDMI both carries digital signals but DVI don’t carry audio signal. I’ve three devices with HDMI connector. My laptop, my pc with a gaming card with HDMI connector as well and my home theater and in any case I don’t need any 3.5 audio in or out cable. HDMI Does carry audio signal, if not doing so, check your cable or connector for any problem.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

So any solution?

[/quote]

Never ever spend money to get a VGA to HDMI or HDMI to VGA connector as the ultimate result will be analog signal and poor result as compared to HDMI or DVI.

[quote=“Faisal, post:3, topic:15384”]

Even HDMI carries audio signals only if you use em with stand alone Bluray players or BD drives with actual bluray disc in them.

[/quote]

I use HDMI cable with LCD TV and it always carries audio signals even if I play the downloaded movies on PC.

I stand corrected

[quote=“Faisal, post:9, topic:15384”]

I stand corrected

[/quote]

What does that mean? You were correct or now corrected? Yes there is an issue more that I forget to tell in earlier post. HDMI Connector in laptops does always carry audio signal but some time it’s only stereo or in new models it is 5.1 at least (In my case it happened). And yes when you insert a gaming card on your mother board via pci Express slot, it does not deliver audio because pci Express does not give you audio, for that you must use a connector that connects card with mother board. Ask your dealer he can provide you one.

[quote=“nvd650, post:10, topic:15384”]

What does that mean? You were correct or now corrected? Yes there is an issue more that I forget to tell in earlier post. HDMI Connector in laptops does always carry audio signal but some time it’s only stereo or in new models it is 5.1 at least (In my case it happened). And yes when you insert a gaming card on your mother board via pci Express slot, it does not deliver audio because pci Express does not give you audio, for that you must use a connector that connects card with mother board. Ask your dealer he can provide you one.

[/quote]

^ that was the main reason for me saying HDMI doesn’t carry sound signal. but doesn’t apply to the over all situation so I said I stand corrected which means which mean you are right. :)

But my first reply is still correct though… second one still holds some truth but not entirely. So I stand corrected.

[quote=“Faisal, post:11, topic:15384”]

^ that was the main reason for me saying HDMI doesn’t carry sound signal. but doesn’t apply to the over all situation so I said I stand corrected which means which mean you are right. :)

But my first reply is still correct though… second one still holds some truth but not entirely. So I stand corrected.

[/quote]

NO THANKS to me then ;)

[quote=“Faisal, post:2, topic:15384”]

Even if there’s VGA to HDMI solution available (which I highly doubt),

[/quote]

Well, these cables are available. I am not sure of the quality of output though.

A 1.5m such cable cost Rs.400/-