Using EDGE with 3G Mobile phone

I want to use high-speed internet through mobile.

Can I use 3G phone like Sony Ericsson K530i for ZONG or Telenor EDGE service?

Sony Ericsson K530i has 3G connectivity but Not EDGE according to its specifications.

Thanks

^yes u can.

just subscribe the service(Zong or Telenor) they will send u the settings by sms and apply that settings.

No you can't, I'm afraid. There are many phones in the market that support 3G but not EDGE - you won't be able to use EDGE unless and until your phone explicitly states that it supports EDGE. Supporting 3G won't help.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^yes u can.

just subscribe the service(Zong or Telenor) they will send u the settings by sms and apply that settings.

[/quote]

I am little bit confused.

Do ZONG and Telenor provide 3G connectivity in addition to EDGE or every 3G is backword compatible to EDGE.

Actually specifications of phone say that it does not have EDGE.

K530i specifiactions are as under:

GPRS Yes

HSCSD Yes

EDGE No

3G Yes, 384 kbps

WLAN No

Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 with A2DP

Infrared port No

USB Yes, v2.0

Does it mean that it can work on EDGE network on better speed?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

No you can’t, I’m afraid. There are many phones in the market that support 3G but not EDGE - you won’t be able to use EDGE unless and until your phone explicitly states that it supports EDGE. Supporting 3G won’t help.
[/quote]

Hunh !! Thank God I have not yet purchased K530i.

No 3G provider in Pakistan yet.

anyway EDGE is not available in all over Pakistan just in big cities and some areas in other cities,for example in Gujranwala u can find EDGE only in few area only.

So u can use GPRS but depends where r u !

3G is not related to GPRS or EDGE. You can access EDGE on any supported phone. Also EDGE is not available everywhere, even in Karachi its available in a few areas.

you got a 3G phone. if doesn't have EDGE, it will only work at GPRS speeds (48kpbs, dependin on the version).

3G MIGHT be launched in Pakistan if our operators stop acting like a bunch of lazy bums.

3G licenses were _supposed_ to be auctioned in December... let's see.

And - 3G isn't "backward-compatible". EDGE - if you're on Telenor, it's available everywhere. On Zong - in many areas of the urban cities. Same's for Ufone and Warid, I believe (not too sure).

Hope this helps clear things up :)

Guys he said my phone does not support EDGE :P

Solution : Buy an EDGE enabled phone