Using a pure sinewave UPS?

Any imported brands you would recommend? Not interested in any UPS that include battery by default - so no APC.

I currently have a desi UPS that I have used for ~4+ years which is obviously square wave. I am not sure how much damage it has done to the electrical equipment but I have had few desktop components and ceiling fans failing here and there.

I haven't made up my mind on buying a pure sine wave UPS because of the speculative nature of my experience. It will be expensive and also I do understand repairing of a pure sine wave UPS will be a pain - whenever it decides to conk out.

Anyone with relevant experience, please chime in.

I also have the same equipment failure problem with square sine wave current. I made an entire post about this issue on my blog. Soon, I will post its link in this thread. (so, be patient. Working on my blog to shift it to new host and domain. So, these days, it is offline. B) )

You might like this Inverter (UPS): http://www.mustups.com/Products/Show.asp?id=145

Go to any nearest Metro store (or Hyper star in Lahore) and there you'll find a lot of Aurora pure sine wave UPS with external batteries from 500 watt to 5000 watt normally. And it can also be repaired from their authorized service centres in Pakistan. These UPS are bit expensive as you said earlier but these are totally safe for you devices, specially digital devices.

Aren't Aurora UPS step sine wave so essentially modified sine wave? At least their website lists the specs as such.

There are two different models, one is modified sine wave, other is pure sine wave. In pure sine wave they are offering two kinds of UPS, with built in battery (Backup UPS with 10-20 mints backup) and other is with external battery.

In my experience, shitstores like Makro, Metro etc dont have pure sine wave UPS. Take a meter to confirm the waveform yourself.

Do you mean APC is not pure sine wave? If APC is not pure sine wave then there is nothing sine wave in this world :D

[quote=“Asad_N, post:4, topic:16426”]

Aren’t Aurora UPS step sine wave so essentially modified sine wave? At least their website lists the specs as such.

[/quote]

Stepped Sine Wave, Square Sine Wave are different names for Modified Sine Wave current.

Pure Sine Wave UPS are sold for almost double the price of Modified Sine Wave UPS.

[quote=“nvd650, post:7, topic:16426”]

Do you mean APC is not pure sine wave? If APC is not pure sine wave then there is nothing sine wave in this world :D

[/quote]

APC UPS’ have differnt models. Some are designed for Modified Sine Wave current output and some for Pure Sine Wave current. Since, UPS’ with modified sine wave current are cheaper in price and are relatively more efficient than pure sine wave UPS so, companies also manufacture such UPS/inverters.

Few good inverters and UPS’ manufacturing companies also advise to use pure sine wave UPS to keep your electronic devices healthy.

Yes and I guess APC is best (according to what available at least in Pak market) and that easily available in Metro and may be hyper start too.. I was wondering that "hawker" is saying that #$%# stores like makro and metro don't have pure sine wave while I've saw myself and even purchased aurora entry model pure sine wave backup UPS of 500 watt in 7800 from Metro Faisal Abad, then how can he say that these stores don't have Pure sine wave. Even Leave Aurora, APC is also available :) and that is Pure sine wave model....

Hi. pure sine wave in APC's range costs 40k or so. And its just 1500VA.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500I

As far as i observed, the stores do not keep pure sine wave UPS units. Thats why i suggested using a meter instead of relying on what the lable says.

IMO only square wave UPS is hazardous for computers. Modified/approximate sine wave forms work fine.

Anyone has any eperience with Liebert/Emerson?

Given all the replies and my original suspicions to be correct and also time not allowing for a better research, I have decided to go for a modified sine wave UPS instead.

Any recommendations for any UPS you have used that does not restart a PC on a good enough load? I considered Mercury and Homage but both of these have the PC restarting issues.

http://www.cpsww.com.pk/products/accessories/eps/cps1000ei.htm

I have bought this inverter for Rs 8500 and it is very nice UPS. It does not restart my desktop computers.

New LCD versions has been introduced the last month and I am not sure about them. http://www.cpsww.com.pk/products/accessories/eps/cps2200eilcd.htm

[quote=“blogger, post:12, topic:16426”]

http://www.cpsww.com.pk/products/accessories/eps/cps1000ei.htm

I have bought this inverter for Rs 8500 and it is very nice UPS. It does not restart my desktop computers.

New LCD versions has been introduced the last month and I am not sure about them. http://www.cpsww.com.pk/products/accessories/eps/cps2200eilcd.htm

[/quote]

What’s the difference between an inverter and UPS?

I need UPS for 1PC with 17" Monitor (600VA UPS)…I was thinking Systek. But what’s this Cyberpower inverter?

[quote=“nab, post:13, topic:16426”]

What’s the difference between an inverter and UPS?

I need UPS for 1PC with 17" Monitor (600VA UPS)…I was thinking Systek. But what’s this Cyberpower inverter?

[/quote]

UPS holds built in battery inside its casing but an inverter requires an external battery according to your backup needs. These two categories have been introduced by UPS manufacturing companies. Inverter is also a UPS if it has auto switch over and auto restart features. Inverters can also be used with solar panels to invert the DC into alternating current.

Our product Luminous has both Pure Sinewave and Modified Inverters.

PURE SINEWAVE OF LUMINOUS

314315.jpg

Are these locally made by you or imported from India?

Luminous is an Indian product not local so it is mported from India

Hi,

My friend is (officialy) working on testing of "Wave forms" and efficiency of different kinds of UPSs and will present here with these information. According to his initial investigation, Systak UPSs are nice in performance as they are "near to sine wave". Systak has a home service facility and they have all spare parts available. Others are modified sine wave type with low efficiency. I have some pictures of sine waves of different UPSs which were tested by using an osiloscope but i am waiting for a final report from him in which he will inform to me the effieicncy of UPSs. He now is working for arrangement of a spacial equipment to test the energy-in and energy-out of UPS to measure the efficiency and soon it will be in my hand. The regular energy meters did not work as the output of UPSs are not sinusoidal.

So if you want to buy immediately then this is up to you to buy Systak and if you could wait for more information about different UPSs then please........

http://www.systek.com.pk/

Having mental indigestion after going through all these true sine waves and God knows whats of UPS, can anyone just suggest one Best Value and one Best Performance UPS that can run a Pentium Dual-core PC and a 24inch LED monitor for just over 1 hour. Also, one that isn't too heavy on the pocket. The PC consumes a maximum of 319w to 409w (with speakers).

In case anyone has the time and courtesy, here are the details of my PC:

(feel free to point out if the values are off)

Power supply-----Cooler Master Extreme Power-----------600w

Processor--------Pentium Dual-core 2.6Ghz E-5300----Max 65w

M/B--------------Asus 750i SLI--------------------------20w

RAM--------------Crucial Ballistix 2GB-------------------6w

Graphics---------ATI Radeon 4870 1GB---------------Max 160w

HDDs-------------1TB Western Digital Green--------------10w

-----------------500GB Seagate Barracuda----------------15w

Optical----------24x Sony DVDRW-------------------------20w

Monitor----------Viewsonic VX2450wm-LED-------------Avg 23w

Speakers---------Edifier R501 5.1-------------------Max 90w

Total--------------------------------------------------409w

Note: Speakers are optional as I can use headphones during the loadshedding hour

the end all UPS solutions is to simply get an APC ups with full sine wave. we have been using apc for over 4 years in home and office, and all working flawlessly.

donot get a new one with built in battery,.as they might be step sine waves as people currently are complaining a lot about them..plus they are fuukin` expensive for the 10 min backup they give.. get a used one from sellers or from people on forums without battery, who might be selling them.

Used APC will come without batteries and you can simply connect 2x 100 amps local batteries with them and run anything. but DONOT get the 1400VA model, get the 1500VA model only, it is much better looking, :P and has pure sine wave and better charger and better load management and better voltage stabilization as compared to 1400va . personal experience of running 2 side by side in office.

with 2x 100amp batteries, you can easily run your pc for around 2 hours. my PC is same setup as yours, except a C2D, 4 gb xms2 ram, a GTX 460 and 3 hdds. i also run a 400Watt amplifier with 12 in woofers speakers, and a separate 15inch Orion wofer with a separate car amplifier, all hooked to same batteries. :) the load never peaks over 40% at extreme consumption and works easily near 2 hours. :)

currently it is selling for around 15-16000rs without batteries the 1500VA model. as prices are hiking up in summer loadsheddings 1400va would be AROUND 1500-2000 rs cheaper, but not recommended.

if you need, a friend might be selling one of his 2 home use APC 1500VA UPS. he is shifting to a 3000VA one. if you anyone wants , i can ask him.

hope this helps anyone who wants to buy a sine wave UPS.