Using 24 volt batteries on a UPS that says 12 Volts?

I was just wondering, is it possible to use a 24 volt battery on a UPS that says 12 volts on it? if so then how? If not, then I gotta exchange this UPS that I received.

No, the batteries would not be charged and the higher voltage would most likely blow electronic components.

^ Definitely the case. I accidentally put 4x12V batteries in serial instead of 4x6V and blew up my UPS beyond repair, and now I cannot find a decent replacement for it within my means.

no.

but just case you have 2 x 12v batteries then you can put them in parallel, ll work fine.

if you're looking to use two batteries simultaneously then yes you can use a parallel connection.

battery1 positive >>>> battery2 positive

battery1 negative >>>> battery2 negative

Thanks for all your replies, the battery that I thought was 24v was in fact 12v so it wont be a problem after all. Before finding that out, I called the UPS guy and he said that he can easily modify the UPS and change a few components so I can attach a 24b battery but that wont be necessary now.

Can someone tell me how much the Specific Gravity of the acid in the batteries should be?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Can someone tell me how much the Specific Gravity of the acid in the batteries should be?
[/quote]

The specific gravity of the electrolyte should be 1265 when battery is fully charged. It will be indicated by the hydrometer when the lower end of green indication will be be just equal to the electrolyte level in the meter tube. As the battery drains, the green portion will start submerging and when the battery is fully discharged, the indication will be at the red zone. If the battery is overcharged, the hydrometer indication will be showing the level at the yellow zone. To ensure optimum charge and long life of the battery, the adjustment of UPS battery charging variable should be proper. The hydrometer should not be at yellow zone when battery is charged and not red zone when battery is fully discharged.

The specific gravity of the electrolyte should be 1265 when battery is fully charged. It will be indicated by the hydrometer when the lower end of green indication will be be just equal to the electrolyte level in the meter tube. As the battery drains, the green portion will start submerging and when the battery is fully discharged, the indication will be at the red zone. If the battery is overcharged, the hydrometer indication will be showing the level at the yellow zone. To ensure optimum charge and long life of the battery, the adjustment of UPS battery charging variable should be proper. The hydrometer should not be at yellow zone when battery is charged and not red zone when battery is fully discharged.

[/quote]

Nice explanation, please correct it the specific gravity is 1.265 not 1265.

Regards

Thanks for correction.

[/quote]

thanks for that extremely informative post.

Thanks for the explanation for that.

I have one last question regarding the UPS, I have been told that I need to get an electrician to rewire some stuff in my room, I am not doing that until I build a rack for the thing, so what I need to know is that can I just plug the UPS into the mains and plug an extension cord with multiple sockets on it to power my appliances?

If you have not to use the UPS output for ceiling fan or room lights or the wall socket, then u can just add an extension to the ups and plug in your appliances to it. Change in wiring will only be needed, when u want to use the gadgets from the wall socket. If u use the extension directly from the UPS outlet, then there is no need to disturb the main wiring.