Use of 'report' button

It is encouraging to see a lot of members using the 'Report' button. We urge everyone else to use it as well as sometimes moderators may not read each and every post and may miss something. Also please note that the 'Report' button is ONLY to be used when someones post is insulting, abusive, or breaks the forum rules in any way. I've been seeing some bizarre reports where people are even reporting their own posts in a misguided attempt to seek advice etc or because someone doesn't agree with another post. Please don't do that.

If you disagree with the information posted please post a reply in that thread saying so. In a nutshell, use the report feature, but use it wisely.

I think the instance of 'bizarre reports' is more because people are mistakenly clicking Report instead of Quote. :)

Haha.. yeah I've myself mistakenly clicked the report button twice when I wanted to quote.

At a quick glance the "report" appears to be "reply", that's why many members are clicking the wrong link.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Haha… yeah I’ve myself mistakenly clicked the report button twice when I wanted to quote.

At a quick glance the “report” appears to be “reply”, that’s why many members are clicking the wrong link.

[/quote]

It will useless to give reference here as most of you already know the study by Harvard university that human brain don’t read words by reading completely all of its letters. Human brain pick starting and ending letters to interpret words in sentences.

Huh, and who said we are supreme-being (ashruf-ul-mukhlukat) and we are intelligent enough to rule other animals? :lol:

Fe-Aman Allah.

It's not as much our brain's fault as it is of the designer of PunBB. You see, on all other boards, the reply and quote buttons sit side by side at the bottom right of every post, so being used to seeing this pattern repeated, we don't think it'll be different this time and end up making a mistake.

I'll call it a usability issue of PunBB.

And no sir, it's how our brain has conditioned itself to make quick decisions based on the available data, and it saves us a lot of hassle and time with this kind of pattern recognition. It helps us complete the routine tasks very quickly. For example, when you eat, you don't necessarily think what you are doing. You take the food, put it in your mouth, chew it, and swallow it, all the while not even thinking about it. Imagine if you had to consciously monitor every bite till it was swallowed, wouldn't it make life a lot more miserable?

We ARE intelligent, but sometimes we are fooled by our own intelligence. :)

I agree about the confusion between "Report" and "Quote". Maybe a small template change to switch their places with each other and make "report" a lighter color.

Here are some mock ups for a solution. That being said, ideally there should be a javascript alert which asks you to confirm whether you really want to report a post. Would require a bit of mucking with the php files though =)

To check the issue where REPort gets mistaken for REPly, perhaps you want to change the label to "Flag This Post"

Here is the original:

original.jpg

Here is the what I think is ideal, but would probably involve messing with CSS for a bit:

p1.jpg

This is the easiest solution, a simple change in color (suggested by wzub), should be a 2 minute CSS tweak, max:

p2.jpg

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I think the instance of ‘bizarre reports’ is more because people are mistakenly clicking Report instead of Quote. :)
[/quote]

I did that once, but quickly realized it’s not where I’m supposed to write a reply. :lol:

I agree with nauman in respect of the suggested change.