USB HardDisk For LCD TV

Hi Guys,

My Cousin And My Self, both Got Samsung LCD TV Same Model which support USB. we are using usb stick to play movies and usb from 4gb to 16gb works fine.. my cousin got 500gb hard disk from his friend to test if its works or not. but the tv does not connected to usb hard disk. its says no external device found. but when plug which pc the hard disk working fine.. so can any one tell me what type of usb hard disk will works with LCD TV ? Or How can i make it to work? bcoz i read on net that may be using a hard disk is not supported or some other erros....

May be your HDD is using NTFS which might not be supported. Check the TV manual. My brother is using 500 GB HDD with his Samsung Plasma TV.

yes the HDD was in NTFS Format and some1 told me to try fat32 but i was unable to format it to fat32. i used the tool HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool But it was giving error that write protected .. so i did a normal format on that tool which took some time but format the HDD to fat32 but it was still not working... so can u tell me how to format the HDD so i can try again... my cousin GOt seagate Usb HDD .. and i have 16gb usb drive which is in NTFS format and thats working GooD... No Issue With Usb STick..

Then the issue might be with maximum size of supported HDD // Flash disk.

It's time to Read The Manual.

Does the power LED of HDD lights when you connect it to TV. Some external HDD's require more power (external power supply) to run.If it has external power adapter pin then connect it and see the result.If it came with double USB cable then connect power side of its USB to your computer/laptop USB port to feed more power and other side of USB to TV.Cab-USB-YBlack.jpg

^ This might also be the reason that external HDD is not being recognized. But again, it's time for RTM.

@AHS

+1 for nice explanation.

[quote=", post:6, topic:15674"]

^ This might also be the reason that external HDD is not being recognized. But again, it’s time for RTM.

@AHS

+1 for nice explanation.

[/quote]

Thanks

I'm having the same problem.i'm using USB Hard Disk enclosure to connect my old Sata 90GB laptop hard drive with samsung LCD tv.Tv is unable to even detect it.

if u read manual its clearly written that TV only recognize "Mass Storage Device" interface.So it'll only detect mass storage device complaint devices.My HDD inclosure when connected with PC is detected as "USB sata bridge" so its not compatible with TV.So 1st make sure that ur device is detected as USB mass storage device when connected to PC.

if anyone knows about any HDD enclosure which is mass storage device complaint please let me know....

as umans said that The tv only supports mass storage and yes its right i read the manual it clearly said about mass storage. so any one can tell if there is any usb that can be detected as Mass storage on TV ? Or make it works like mass storage?

[quote=“umans, post:8, topic:15674”]

I’m having the same problem.i’m using USB Hard Disk enclosure to connect my old Sata 90GB laptop hard drive with samsung LCD tv.Tv is unable to even detect it.

if u read manual its clearly written that TV only recognize “Mass Storage Device” interface.So it’ll only detect mass storage device complaint devices.My HDD inclosure when connected with PC is detected as “USB sata bridge” so its not compatible with TV.So 1st make sure that ur device is detected as USB mass storage device when connected to PC.

if anyone knows about any HDD enclosure which is mass storage device complaint please let me know…

[/quote]

My guess is that this setup will not work, since its not native USB. I have a Seagate 320GB hard drive and works well with my Sony LCD. I guess it has something to do with USB powered or self powered issue. If the HD is USB powered then it should work fine without a problem.

i am using 500gb USB 3.0 enabled HDD with my Samsung 43' plasma. work without any issue. check the HDD cable.

& yes there is no maximum/Minimum HDD capacity for TVs.

& i used both USB powered as well as external powered both worked fine.

I agree. For example, the manual with my DVD player (that also supports USB) states: USB devices having capacity more than 32 GB may not be recognized.

[quote=", post:4, topic:15674"]

Then the issue might be with maximum size of supported HDD // Flash disk.

It's time to Read The Manual.

[/quote]

There is also difference in FAT32 and NTFS formatted storage, I have 16 Gb Corsair Survivor and I was pretty good on my led and home theatre dvd player, but then I formatted it in NTFS and now it's not even recognized by led neither dvd player