USB Flash drive

Can anyone recommend any good usb device (4GB or 8GB) that can be used as bootable drive (Win XP) and supports Readyboost (When using Vista) ?

the more the better. I use Kingston. Its working fine since the last 2 years.

Does your motherboard support USB boot?

I use corsair. available on galaxy.pk

If your motherboard supports booting from USB drives then you can use any USB drive. Kingstan and Corsair both are good. Kingston gives 5 years warranty and Corsair gives 10 years warranty. Corsair is shock and water proof which is a plus point.

How to boot from USB?

Can we install XP on USB?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

How to boot from USB?

[/quote]

see if this helps

http://www.pctipsbox.com/installing-windows-xp-using-a-usb-flash-drive/

How to boot from USB?

[/quote]

why on the GOD’s green earth u want to install xp on flash usb,

it will take ageeeeeeeesssssssssss to boot up.

I think all of the above don't have much information regarding usb flash drives. Only two models of Kingston support ready boost:

1. DataTraveler 400

2. DataTraveler HyperX

Follow the link and see for yourself.

http://www.kingston.com/flash/DataTravelers_consumer.asp

Although Corsair is good but personally I don't like it becuase of its thickness, so while using it your other usb port is wasted!

On a recent visit to the computer market, I found 1GB USB drives vanished. I wonder if they are now obsolete. Moreover USB prices have dropped significantly. I bought a 4GB Kingston for Rs. 680.

A couple years ago when starting at uni, I got a 256MB flash for 2.5K. Now... 4 GB in 0.6K.... :o

Use nLite www.nlite.com to make your own customized windows. Also you can add many other apps like MS office that can make your work portable.

do try Windows XP live mini as its small and more efficient.

8GB is OK. It will be history after a year :P so buy the one thats faster than others.

Actually I meant Bartpe.

I have Intel d865, which has the option to boot from UFD and a Kingston data traveler 2 usb stick 2gb.

Now I'm interested in to make it a emergency backup tool.

So if you guys could guide me how to prepare my usb stick with Bartpe to boot.

Never done that that

but the first step would be to make your USB bootable. There was a HP tool for that. Than probably you will have to copy the BartPE 's windows to your windows

January 2009 Issue of Spider Magazine has all the details for downloading and configuring Windows XP from USB. Get it and try it.

Use nLite www.nlite.com to make your own customized windows. Also you can add many other apps like MS office that can make your work portable.

do try Windows XP live mini as its small and more efficient.

8GB is OK. It will be history after a year :P so buy the one thats faster than others.

[/quote]

if u r so much in to small then try to google xp tiny,

us flash is not faster enough to run gui based os,

if u r so much in to small then try to google xp tiny,

us flash is not faster enough to run gui based os,

[/quote]

Atleast its portable. People are shifting to USB OSes for worst case scenarios. Google it yourself. Still i would stick to my HDD :)

I use kingston 16gb usb, it works great.

I was wondering what is the boot time when one uses USB memory to boot the syatem?

Last Result:

Download Speed: 7081 kbps (885.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2624 kbps (328 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have used Bartpe bootable cd long ago, and it took nearly 3mins to boot in gui.

usb 2.0 UFD are faster then CD Drives I think.

I'm trying to make my stick bootable with Bartpe and will let you know about it.