Urgent help needed regarding WIRELESS ROUTER!

hi guys, i am using ptcl broadband and today i bought TP-LINK wireless router for my laptop , i have set up all the required options and i am using net on my laptop . THe only difficulty i am facing is i cannot secure my WLAN , as it is open , every one in its range is able to use it . I want to restrict it for password but i dnt know how to do it. Please any guyz help me out doing so . I am using Vista Ultimate.

Please help me out how to protect my WLAN with password

Any one help me yar , All the Mohalla is using my Broadband !!!!

Enable encryption. Use some security scheme like WPA2+AES.

from where and how to ? can u guide me please step by step for windows vista . i shall be very thankful to u

I am in deep trouble , i have tried for WPA2 ENTERPRISE and now it doesnt connects to the wireless router , it needs additional information like username , password and login domain , and i dnt know what to do . please help me out guys

any luck trying to use the manual that came with the router? :)

This router must have a managment IP. If your connection to the router is established by LAN go to its properties. then support check what is default Gateway. It may like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc. use this IP in your explorer it will be connected to your router. username and password will be asked. Most probably it will be like admin and password will be admin like other routers. Go to Security. Select WPA PSK option(most common), put string of 8 characters, apply it. Restart the router. Its Wi Fi will ask for akey before connecting it.

I hope it will help

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

from where and how to ? can u guide me please step by step for windows vista . i shall be very thankful to u
[/quote]

The method to configure the router is through a web interface and is usually OS independent.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am in deep trouble , i have tried for WPA2 ENTERPRISE and now it doesnt connects to the wireless router , it needs additional information like username , password and login domain , and i dnt know what to do . please help me out guys
[/quote]

You need an external server for WPA2 Enterprise. Try the WPA2 Personal mode.

For connecting to the router, try using a wired terminal (as in computer/PC) since you won’t be able to access it wirelessly with incomplete/incorrect WPA2 Enterprise mode configuration.

If nothing works, just reset the router to go back to default settings.

The simplest way to secure your connection is to use your computer's MAC address. Go to your Router and find MAC FILTER settings and click on it. Turn off every other security if you have to. Anyway, simply type your MAC address and save it and be sure to check an option that allows only the MAC address listed in the filter to access the internet.

this all i can do when i can connect to my router now , through 192.168.1.1 , but it is not even connecting to the router , when i try to connect it asks for me the login password and logon domain , which i dnt know , i have tried many login passwords but all in vain. i have also tried to reset the router but there is no solution coming out. Is there any other solution left ? Or it is useless now ?

There is always a solution brother. As far as I know, you have to set your password and login so if you have forgotten about that, please refer to the manual that came with it. Second, if you think you are stuck and can't move forward, acquire professional help or contact your vendor via their website.

Getting in touch with your vendor would probably be the best thing for you to do as they are the ones who created the model and should be able to help you easily. Call them if you have to :)

The other option is getting professional help. Where are you from? Are you from Karachi? If so, you can visit Computer Center at Bahadarabad and I am sure they will be able to help you in this regard.

Once your router becomes accessible, you should call your DSL support line and ask them to hook it up for you.

Thanks for every one , i have got to reset it . Thanks god , its working now , now please tell me how to set password for my WIFI so that not every one can use it for free , as most of the neighbors are sucking my broadband speed .

Thanks in advance ,please tell me in steps as i have never done it before

I have secured my WIFI from my broadband suckers . . . . lol

Thanks a lot bros !!!