UPS Overcharging & load

Hello,

I have a 2kVa Chinese manufactured UPS installed at home. I wanted to ask about the overcharging, does UPS normally come with overcharging protection? Can I keep the UPS turned on 24/7 or only turn it on when it's required? Also, I'm putting 20% load on the UPS during power outages but when electricity comes (on charging mode) the Load indicator still remains on 20%? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

As we have no other option- nothing to worry about. Everything you are telling is normal. And keep UPS 24 hours ON, no matter load shedding is there or not.

I think your UPS is an on-line UPS that's why it shows the same 20% load even when WAPDA supply is ON.

A line-interactive UPS shows 0% load when on WAPDA supply.

Here is what my 2-kVA UPS shows:

When WAPDA supply is ON

20120330225705.jpg

And when WAPDA supply is OFF

20120330230030.jpg

What do you mean by 'on-line'?

[quote=“nictor, post:4, topic:16856”]

What do you mean by ‘on-line’?

[/quote]

The general categories of modern UPS systems are on-line, line-interactive or standby.[3] An on-line UPS uses a “double conversion” method of accepting AC input, rectifying to DC for passing through the rechargeable battery (or battery strings), then inverting back to 120 V/230 V AC for powering the protected equipment. A line-interactive UPS maintains the inverter in line and redirects the battery’s DC current path from the normal charging mode to supplying current when power is lost. In a standby (“off-line”) system the load is powered directly by the input power and the backup power circuitry is only invoked when the utility power fails. Most UPS below 1 kVA are of the line-interactive or standby variety which are usually less expensive.

for details

http://en.wikipedia…le_power_supply

[quote=“ZXCVB, post:3, topic:16856”]

I think your UPS is an on-line UPS that’s why it shows the same 20% load even when WAPDA supply is ON.

A line-interactive UPS shows 0% load when on WAPDA supply.

Here is what my 2-kVA UPS shows:

When WAPDA supply is ON

[image}]

And when WAPDA supply is OFF

[image]

[/quote]

What UPS do you have?

UPS overcharging is something I've recently experienced. Don't know much technical details but theres a component in UPS which is responsible for cutting off a/c line when battery is fully charged. Absence or malfunctioning of this component causes battery overcharging. Symptoms of overcharging:

1. Overheating of UPS.

2. Battery requiring water too frequently.

3. Significant increase in electricity bills. :angry:

^ Good obversation there.

1. UPS is not over-heating.

2. I have dry batteries..

3. Not sure about this one -.-

[quote=“blogger, post:6, topic:16856”]

What UPS do you have?

[/quote]

It’s a local made UPS, got from Habib & Co, College Road, Rawalpindi

20120401221147.jpg

[quote=“ZXCVB, post:9, topic:16856”]

It’s a local made UPS, got from Habib & Co, College Road, Rawalpindi

[/quote]Can you post few more pictures of your UPS from side and back?

I don’t think it’s a local product rather a renamed Chinese thing.

[quote=", post:10, topic:16856"]

Can you post few more pictures of your UPS from side and back?

[/quote]

that too made me go WOW!!..such a clean and well built local UPS? anyways is that Chinese transformer-less UPS?

[quote=“Mazahyr, post:11, topic:16856”]

that too made me go WOW!!..such a clean and well built local UPS? anyways is that Chinese transformer-less UPS?
[/quote]

Looks like the same transformer-less thing (though these have ferrite core transformers inside), I have seen many companies buying these in bulk and just renaming. Such UPS cost typically around $35-40 from China.

[quote=", post:12, topic:16856"]

Looks like the same transformer-less thing (though these have ferrite core transformers inside), I have seen many companies buying these in bulk and just renaming. Such UPS cost typically around $35-40 from China.

[/quote]

hmmm…could you give review and differentiate between the 2…for most people transformer-less is more of a disposable UPS…wats the engineering behind never checked it out…wats ur say about it?

I will be somewhat free in next week, will make some diagram and write up on this topic.

It's a local made UPS, got from Habib & Co, College Road, Rawalpindi

Can i get such kind of good UPS in Lahore?

From Where?

Approx Price?

If someone is using such UPS in Lahore, please share his experience.

[quote=", post:10, topic:16856"]

Can you post few more pictures of your UPS from side and back?

[/quote]

Some pics of the box

20120402224553.th.jpg

20120402225100.th.jpg

20120402224842.th.jpg

Thanks for sharing the picture.

This is a Chinese product, if you can place order for 1000-5000 units, Chinese will happily do it for you.

How much did you buy it for ?

[quote=“ZXCVB, post:16, topic:16856”]

Some pics of the box

20120402224553.th.jpg

20120402225100.th.jpg

20120402224842.th.jpg

[/quote]

Sorry to say but it is the counterfeit of product made by Shenzhen SORO Electronics Company Ltd. Shenzhen SORO is the actual manufacturer of this inverter.

Soro Tec LCD Inverter IG3110C

LCD Inverter UPS Ig3110c 500-2000V

[quote=“signode, post:15, topic:16856”]

Can i get such kind of good UPS in Lahore?

From Where?

Approx Price?

If someone is using such UPS in Lahore, please share his experience.

[/quote]

Can any one please answer my above questions?

[quote=", post:17, topic:16856"]

Thanks for sharing the picture.

This is a Chinese product, if you can place order for 1000-5000 units, Chinese will happily do it for you.

How much did you buy it for ?

[/quote]

Rs. 11,800