UPS Inverter Efficency

Do you guys know how many amperes your UPS inverter uses when not running any more load. In other words, how much amps does the battery need to provide to just get the inverter running without any additional load?

I have a local made 750VA inverter which uses 9.5Amps just to run the inverter without anything else which is really inefficient.

[quote=“generaluser, post:, topic:”]

Do you guys know how many amperes your UPS inverter uses when not running any more load. In other words, how much amps does the battery need to provide to just get the inverter running without any additional load?

I have a local made 750VA inverter which uses 9.5Amps just to run the inverter without anything else which is really inefficient.

[/quote]

I have APC Smart UPS 1000XLi (800 watts). When batteries fully charged it shows 0.5 amperes or around that.

Thanks for replying.

You probably are referring to when the battery is not discharging. what i was asking about was the current coming out from the battery when it is discharging and running only the UPS without running any extra load.

[quote=“generaluser, post:, topic:”]

[/quote]

All inverters have losses but your’s seem to win the race :)

BTW: How accurate your measurement was. Are you sure your about your measuring device ?

@ijaz ahmad

Yeh it is winning by a BIG margin! :)

I used a clamp meter to check the amps battery was supplying with load on and then off.

By the way can i buy a good inverter and add that to my existing UPS to somehow increase the efficiency? I think my UPS currently uses same transformer for both upregulating and down-regulating.

[quote=“generaluser, post:5, topic:15664”]

By the way can i buy a good inverter and add that to my existing UPS to somehow increase the efficiency? I think my UPS currently uses same transformer for both upregulating and down-regulating.

[/quote]

Even if you change the inverter, you will need a charger to charge the battery + you will need to add some mechanism to sense Wapda mains and switch to inverter. Why not buy a new UPS? I am using Mercury Radiant 1000VA, bought it for only 8K new.

You are right, most of the local made UPS use the same transformer for inverter and charging.

What is the maximum charging current provided by mercury radiant? and can you please tell me how much is its inverter consumption?

Edit: I just read on the maximum-pc website that it has a maximum charging current of 10A. In our area sometimes there is loadshedding of 1hr after every 2 hrs so it wonldn't charge the battery in that case. Can we increase that by adding a new charger?

Anyone??

[quote=“generaluser, post:7, topic:15664”]

What is the maximum charging current provided by mercury radiant? and can you please tell me how much is its inverter consumption?

[/quote]

I will measure and let you know.

[quote=“generaluser, post:7, topic:15664”]

… it has a maximum charging current of 10A. In our area sometimes there is loadshedding of 1hr after every 2 hrs so it wonldn’t charge the battery in that case. Can we increase that by adding a new charger?

[/quote]

In such cases, the usual recommendation is to use a larger size (AH capacity battery). Usually 2 hours light + 1 hour load-shedding is not continuous for 24 hours, so during the periods in 24 hours where AC mains is available for longer than 2 hours, the larger battery gives you benefit to store the energy to compensate for frequent load-shedding hours.

You can add an external charger, but it should be a constant voltage charger with current limit.