UPS for 3 hours

I am going to opt for 2kva honda generator.

It'll run:

3 tubelights

PC

3 fans

TV

:D

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am going to opt for 2kva honda generator.

It’ll run:

3 tubelights

PC

3 fans

TV

:D

[/quote]

how much would that cost?

how much would that cost?

[/quote]

Honda EP2500CX from Abn Amro will cost 31k.

Honda EP2500CX from Abn Amro will cost 31k.

[/quote]

you got price list for other models too? if yes then kindly upload it

you got price list for other models too? if yes then kindly upload it

[/quote]

Salman, call them and ask for prices.

[/quote]

I did that exercise a week ago. Turned out the price has substantially increased, i.e., different dealers quoted from 36,000 to 40,000 + 1000 for gas kit. However, when you go out to buy one with hard cash in your pocket, you might end up paying lesser than that.

I’m also thinking of buying 2kVA but Honda is very costly. Has anyone tried other brands, i.e., Chinese one? Any pitfalls?

Also, can a 2kVA gen run a 1-ton split, if I shut everything else?

I did that exercise a week ago. Turned out the price has substantially increased, i.e., different dealers quoted from 36,000 to 40,000 + 1000 for gas kit. However, when you go out to buy one with hard cash in your pocket, you might end up paying lesser than that.

I’m also thinking of buying 2kVA but Honda is very costly. Has anyone tried other brands, i.e., Chinese one? Any pitfalls?

Also, can a 2kVA gen run a 1-ton split, if I shut everything else?

[/quote]

Honda generators lifespan is almost 10 years. China ones… um… 3 months?

Unikorn, the running load of your air conditioner may be less than 2000 amps, but the determining factor would be the "starting" or "cold" load which is usually 1.5> the running load. Check the sticker or the manual of your split.

Generally speaking, you should always hae 1-2 KVa spare on your genset in case you accidentally switch on something etc..

I have a Chinese (KAMA) 25KVa, 3000RPM set. I wouldn't recommend it; it is loud and maintenance issues are just a headache. When it runs, it runs fine; I think because its a highspeed generator it makes "smooth" electricity such that nothing flickers at all. That being said: I didn't purchase it, so I have to live and deal with it unfortunately =)

To put in perspective, the 25KVa unit easily supports 5/6 split air conditioners running in our house simultaneously + lights + 3 fridges + 2 freezers + microwaves / appliances / tv's etc...

That being said: I didn’t purchase it, so I have to live and deal with it unfortunately =)
[/quote]

You didn’t purchase it? Was it a gift? or may be you got it as dowry… hmmmm :P

i went to systek today and would u believe it..they are OUT of UPS's...yes true the demand has risen so high that there has been a shortage of UPS's. Also the prices have sky rocketed...a 1/2 KV UPS is at a cost of Rs. 12000

i went to systek today and would u believe it…they are OUT of UPS’s…yes true the demand has risen so high that there has been a shortage of UPS’s. Also the prices have sky rocketed…a 1/2 KV UPS is at a cost of Rs. 12000
[/quote]

That’s not much, considering the fact that I paid 11,400/- for 500VA UPS with 140A battery last year.

Are you saying that this price is without battery???!!!???

Unikorn, the running load of your air conditioner may be less than 2000 amps, but the determining factor would be the “starting” or “cold” load which is usually 1.5> the running load. Check the sticker or the manual of your split.

Generally speaking, you should always hae 1-2 KVa spare on your genset in case you accidentally switch on something etc…

I have a Chinese (KAMA) 25KVa, 3000RPM set. I wouldn’t recommend it; it is loud and maintenance issues are just a headache. When it runs, it runs fine; I think because its a highspeed generator it makes “smooth” electricity such that nothing flickers at all. That being said: I didn’t purchase it, so I have to live and deal with it unfortunately =)

To put in perspective, the 25KVa unit easily supports 5/6 split air conditioners running in our house simultaneously + lights + 3 fridges + 2 freezers + microwaves / appliances / tv’s etc…

[/quote]

I believe the efficiency of the generator would be 10%? In easy words, how much petrol does it converts per hour?

[/quote]

i think i found the abn honda brochure which soul uploaded it on wired some time back

http://www.2shared.com/file/2985190/4cd6154b/Honda-leaflet.html

@unikorn

Father bought the gen set, not me.

Also, I got a 1.5 Kva UPS w/o battery for 13K; might be a touch on the expensive side but the product is rock solid. Batteries you can pick up everywhere.

@isharis

Just took a look at your blog, give me a shout over msn raza|dot|matin|at|gmail.com, I would like to discuss the possibility of working in the future with you.

Cheers,

I also have a separate 500VA branded UPS with 4x12V/10A dry batteries, that makes a total of 40A. Which gives me a backup of about 15-20 mins. I was thinking of buying more dry batteries and connecting them to main UPS. But the problem is, they won't get charged enough to last for another blackout after they get exhausted. So I might be looking for a charger too.

Would it be a good idea to connect a wet battery along with dry batteries, or am I completely nuts? :P

So a 2kVA gen isn't enough to run even a 1-ton AC. Then it's useless I guess. I almost bought it today but fortunately, my ABN Amro card was blocked, so couldn't complete the transaction. I'd be looking for other alternatives now.

But it's a bargain. Every dealer is selling the same model EP2500CX for minimum 32K. I wonder how ABN is selling it for 31K, without ripping the clients...

A word of caution though. If you get a gas kit installed in your honda generator, the warranty will be void.

Also, I confirmed from SSGC, you don't need a permission to use a gas generator below 15kVA for domestic use.

i think i found the abn honda brochure which soul uploaded it on wired some time back

http://www.2shared.com/file/2985190/4cd6154b/Honda-leaflet.html

[/quote]

The installments plans are so easy going that I have started to think about 2.8 kVA generator. I am concerned about the petrol consumption. Am I correct that If I consume half of the generator power, the petrol consumption will be less?

@isharis

Only if the generator has a speed attenuator (control), most small generators do not (i.e. they run at the same pace all the time). Larger generators with attenuators, are able to vary their speed such that they can product 75%, 50% and some times 25% of their capacity at reduced consumption rates.

As far as the rate of consumption, you would have to check the product specifications of each model. Generally as a rule of thumb, whatever the sales person says, double it =)

edit: this should help, it says exactly what the rate of consumption per hour is: http://www.hondapower.net.pk/product_generators.htm

edit2: for a 2.8 KVa genset, its 1.92 liters an hour ~Rs.120 per hour, so if you average 7 hours load shedding a day that equals nearly 25K a month, pretty steep.

@isharis

Only if the generator has a speed attenuator (control), most small generators do not (i.e. they run at the same pace all the time). Larger generators with attenuators, are able to vary their speed such that they can product 75%, 50% and some times 25% of their capacity at reduced consumption rates.

As far as the rate of consumption, you would have to check the product specifications of each model. Generally as a rule of thumb, whatever the sales person says, double it =)

edit: this should help, it says exactly what the rate of consumption per hour is: http://www.hondapower.net.pk/product_generators.htm

edit2: for a 2.8 KVa genset, its 1.92 liters an hour ~Rs.120 per hour, so if you average 7 hours load shedding a day that equals nearly 25K a month, pretty steep.

[/quote]

Do you think Honda 2kVA generator are considered large enough to have a speed attenuator?

@ishari

Yes, if you check on Honda Power's non-Pakistani website, it says it does vary consumption as required. 2 hours at full load, to up to 4 hours at half load per full tank.

Harness the power of Google already!

@ishari

Yes, if you check on Honda Power’s non-Pakistani website, it says it does vary consumption as required. 2 hours at full load, to up to 4 hours at half load per full tank.

Harness the power of Google already!

[/quote]

Thanks, Raza. :)