UPS & Battery selection, usage and safety instructions

Found good notes on "UPS & Battery selection, usage and safety instructions"

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION ALLAH AAP KO ISKI JAZA AATA FARMAYE.

can someone tell me how to spot difference between those 7 cell batteries and 12 cell batteries? what is the benefit and how much is the difference in backup?

Thanks

How I am going to "quality" of UPS? When I go to market there hundreds of UPS and if I ask the shopkeeper he will say all are "good quality" and if I insist then he'll point to the most expensive one and will tell me this is the good quality. You have to name the company and their models which are good "quality" in your tests. Don't just blindly say these are good and bad.

And WTF, in the end, it was a mullah's message. "Good leaders", you mean more mullahs and taliban? :( Stop spreading terrorism. Or I'll join the next meeting in madrassah and bomb you. Just kidding :P

wampyr, your stereotyping will never know any bounds. Everyone who uses the name Allah, is not a mulla or taliban.

Frankly, you are talking about terrorism which was coined by United !@#$% of America.

Werent taliban !@#$%^&* of US and Pak army? Wasnt Pak Army concubine of US army just 2 decades ago?

[quote=“hawker, post:5, topic:16839”]

wampyr, your stereotyping will never know any bounds. Everyone who uses the name Allah, is not a mulla or taliban.

Frankly, you are talking about terrorism which was coined by United !@#$% of America.

Werent taliban !@#$%^&* of US and Pak army? Wasnt Pak Army concubine of US army just 2 decades ago?

[/quote]

LOL. I am not against Islam, as I am Muslim too. I am against mullahs and of course taliban and their party. And as for USA and the-name-you-said-and-I-won’t-say, I don’t care about them either. :)

As for the my objection, my objection is on the last paragraph, this is the common tactic used in Pakistan and in other countries. This is the first step used by mullahs to put all the burden on the common people “because common people do not pray 5 times a day and because they have sinned, that’s why we have earthquakes, USA, drones, load-shedding, corrupt leaders, etc. etc.”. It’s all due to because “common people” are not on the “right path”. And the solution is “when everybody will be in ‘our sect’s approved mosque’” then something magically will happen and the “earthquakes, USA, drones, load-shedding, corrupt leaders, etc. etc.” will disappear from the face of the earth. And yes, this type of thinking does make me laugh and I criticize this type of thinking. Stop blaming common people’s “sins” for all the problems. There are many reasons, including mullahs who are the main cause of problems, but common people are not cause of the problem.

And for the “concubine”, those “taliban” (when residing in urban cities then they become “fashionable” mullahs) are not the production of Pakistani Army or USA. They were present before that time. They were present when they said Quaid-e-Azam is not a Muslim and Pakistan is against Islam (blah blah blah). They just got AK-47 and some basic training during USSR-Afghanistan war and they started to terrorize more and more. When tanks were rolled in Lahore, these mullahs were the main cause, oh yeah, this did happened in Pakistan’s history and it was before the time of Afghanistan war and AK-47 culture. Who you are going to blame for the cause of tanks in Lahore? Pakistan Army or mullahs?

They always lurk here and there, wearing normal cloths, sometime even pants and shirt with MBA degrees but they have their own agenda. It’s simple agenda, every other human being is “not a Muslim” except them. And they have all the privileges to spread their sect because Allah told them to do so, and their first step start by…(you know where I am going).

[/End of Rant]

Please keep the forum rules in mind with regards to political and religious discussions.

At point No. 11, I disagree. Do not use boiled water. Why because boiled water still carries all elements and salts which it had before boiling. These elements badly affect the battery and decreases its capacity in short period of time. Although distilled water is available in market but those num nut manufacturers of distilled water add minor amount of sulphuric acid in it. Well, it is much better than tap water. In my opinion, ''Pyro'' makes good distilled water and it can be used. But if your battery drinks too much water and you are not able to afford distilled water, in that case, you can use boiled water but make sure it is clean.

Pyro has gone out of business. I confirmed from their office.

www.pyro.com.pk

Be ware of conterfeits.

I guess we have access to very good distilled in our very own backyard.

Collect water from refrigerator or air conditioner outlet. or collect rain water (but it might be acidic). Filter that and use in battery. Filter papers are very cheap.

I guess distilled water should also be available at medical stores.

Distilled water for battery cells is good recommendation but do you know which water was used to dilute the Sulfuric Acid which was used to prepare your battery for the first time ?

The problem actually starts there...

I agree with the writer to use boiled water.

As we know that in Pakistan there is no command and control and so, distilled water available in local market are not relaiable. May be someone fill the tap water in a botel, label it out and.......... Yehan anthair negri hay koi poochnay wala nehen.

Here: http://www.pakwheels.com/blog/tips/maintaining-upscar-batteries and the related topic: http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/electrical-wiring-battery-lights/153379-maintaining-ups-car-batteries

Ijaz is spot on when he said you are not sure about the mixture that was the used the first time.

[quote=“signode, post:11, topic:16839”]

As we know that in Pakistan there is no command and control and so, distilled water available in local market are not relaiable. May be someone fill the tap water in a botel, label it out and… Yehan anthair negri hay koi poochnay wala nehen.

[/quote]

I have seen people filling tap water into mineral water bottles so getting distilled water for battery is out of question.

brothers i am using exide battery ns120 on ups with a load of tubelight and a small fan 2+years using still now backup maximum it gave was almost 3 hrs. it ran empty too for about 1.5 week long sometime ago(i sometimes forget to put battery water in it and sometimes i put normal clean water in it) and now it gives maximum 45 mins. what to do to increase the battery time?

[quote=“hawker, post:9, topic:16839”]

Pyro has gone out of business. I confirmed from their office.

www.pyro.com.pk

Be ware of conterfeits.

I guess we have access to very good distilled in our very own backyard.

Collect water from refrigerator or air conditioner outlet. or collect rain water (but it might be acidic). Filter that and use in battery. Filter papers are very cheap.

I guess distilled water should also be available at medical stores.

[/quote]

Oh that’s bad. One trustworthy company and now it is gone.

As far as rain water is concerned, I used it and it destroyed my battery because it had carbon, sulphur, and other mixed gases in it. Now, i would never do this mistake again. Air conditioner’s water is a good choice but again it has mixed carbon in it, but ignorable amount of it.

[quote=“signode, post:11, topic:16839”]

As we know that in Pakistan there is no command and control and so, distilled water available in local market are not relaiable. May be someone fill the tap water in a botel, label it out and… Yehan anthair negri hay koi poochnay wala nehen.

[/quote]

True.

[quote=", post:13, topic:16839"]

I have seen people filling tap water into mineral water bottles so getting distilled water for battery is out of question.

[/quote]

Yeah. me too.

[quote=“mib348, post:14, topic:16839”]

brothers i am using exide battery ns120 on ups with a load of tubelight and a small fan 2+years using still now backup maximum it gave was almost 3 hrs. it ran empty too for about 1.5 week long sometime ago(i sometimes forget to put battery water in it and sometimes i put normal clean water in it) and now it gives maximum 45 mins. what to do to increase the battery time?

[/quote]

Your battery is dying now. May be you should buy a new Exide battery in N series (make sure it is 2012 model) as it is ‘‘dry charged’’ and assists in charging. Old battery wastes too much electricity.

i heard exide batteries arent reliable and die very soon, i heard osaka batteries are the best

does dry batteries last longer in life than acid batteries? how much do they cost?

Dry battery is more expensive than a standard lead acid battery and is more sensitive to over charging. Also they take more time to recharge. The only advantage is that you don't need ventilated space to install them and they don't need water.

wow he has done PHD in UPSs

[quote=“mib348, post:16, topic:16839”]

i heard exide batteries arent reliable and die very soon, i heard osaka batteries are the best

does dry batteries last longer in life than acid batteries? how much do they cost?

[/quote]

I don’t know how much truth there is in it but I preferably bought three Exide Dry Charge batteries. Do not confuse these with dry batteries. These are ‘dry charged’ not dry. Latest 2012 model of N series is good. 2011 model of this series was real crap.

Dry batteries which are manufactured in Pakistan are of extremely poor quality. These usually last as long as wet battery lasts or lesser. Imported good quality dry batteries are very expensive but last for as long as 5 years totally depending upon quality and use.

That Osaka thingy which people say has no truth in it. I use Exide so I say Exide is better and Osaka is crap. Someone else might also say that AGS is better but Exide and Osaka both are crap. But what is true, take care of your battery, use good inverter, get electrolyte prepared with pure distilled water, do not let your batteries go dry, add pure distilled water, check specific gravity of battery, and its average life shall increase. The worst mistake which people do is not regularly checking the water level in battery and if it goes dry, then there is no reverse for this and there is no place to claim that it is the fault of manufacturer, no it is your fault. In my opinion, companies like AGS, Exide and Osaka are making same quality batteries because they price almost same. Rest is buyers choice which brand he prefers.

[quote=“blogger, post:19, topic:16839”]

I don’t know how much truth there is in it but I preferably bought three Exide Dry Charge batteries. Do not confuse these with dry batteries. These are ‘dry charged’ not dry. Latest 2012 model of N series is good. 2011 model of this series was real crap.

Dry batteries which are manufactured in Pakistan are of extremely poor quality. These usually last as long as wet battery lasts or lesser. Imported good quality dry batteries are very expensive but last for as long as 5 years totally depending upon quality and use.

That Osaka thingy which people say has no truth in it. I use Exide so I say Exide is better and Osaka is crap. Someone else might also say that AGS is better but Exide and Osaka both are crap. But what is true, take care of your battery, use good inverter, get electrolyte prepared with pure distilled water, do not let your batteries go dry, add pure distilled water, check specific gravity of battery, and its average life shall increase. The worst mistake which people do is not regularly checking the water level in battery and if it goes dry, then there is no reverse for this and there is no place to claim that it is the fault of manufacturer, no it is your fault. In my opinion, companies like AGS, Exide and Osaka are making same quality batteries because they price almost same. Rest is buyers choice which brand he prefers.

[/quote]

Blogger…can u solve my problem plz…i bought a new AGS battery GX 200F…when dealer was pouring electrolyte he checked specific gravity and it was 1.22, i asked this needs to be 1.25 he said yes once u charge it fully it will be 1.25 or 1.28…i brought battery home and also bought a hydrometer…now it like been three weeks…when i check specific gravity when battery is fully charged shown by homage inverter the specific gravity of 5 cells is 1.20 and one cell below 1.20…whats the problem battery seems to work…and it gave me 4 hours backup on core i3 desktop with graphics card so watts of deskitop is more than 200 watts.it gave 4 hour backup and was still going??? so what the problem one cell which shows specific gravity very low also seem to have a little oil on the surface) like when u pour two or 3 oil drops on water)…what ur experience say about this?