UPS battery Problem

AOA<

I have 200ah AGS battery, bought on 31-3-14. I used to check battery once a week and found no loss of water in it. yesterday I checked battery and there was no water in any cell. plates were slightly wet. I pour AC water in it, Now backup reduced. Now plz let me know what to do, is there anyway I can revive it.

Thank s

Never use AC water in a lead acid battery.

Use only Distilled water / deionized water in Lead acid battery.

Never Let your Lead acid battery run out of water. Check regularly on every 15 days. damage due to this is irrecoverable. battery capacity reduce on permanent basis since plates exposed to air gets corroded. and unable to perform. Better option is to buy Dry battery which dont require water which is costly but peace of mind.

[quote=“khuram89, post:, topic:”]

AOA<

I have 200ah AGS battery, bought on 31-3-14. I used to check battery once a week and found no loss of water in it. yesterday I checked battery and there was no water in any cell. plates were slightly wet. I pour AC water in it, Now backup reduced. Now plz let me know what to do, is there anyway I can revive it.

Thank s

[/quote]

problem is with your desi 12V ups charging system..200AH battery canot be easily damaged even with high currents, since it has a lot of power drawing capacity... your ups is probably having issue boiling water.

[quote=“khuram89, post:, topic:”]

AOA<

Thank s

[/quote]

Do read this thread too

The lesson, with a APC you need a extra charger.

Thanks everybody for valueable info and suggestions.

Yesterday I bought a DC/AC volt and ampere clamp meter (Uni-T203). and hydrometer to check the gravity. my ups has 5 step of charging, it charges fully discharged battery at 15A, then 12A then 9A then 6A and last stage is 3A when battery is 90% full…

first here are results:

specific gravity of each cell : 1.26 or above
cut off volt : 14.4v
open cell volt : 13.6v ( tested after 10 hours of rest)
Discharge cut off volt : 8.5v
volt on load when fully charged : 12.06 (it drops to 11.99 after 10 minutes of load “450watts” AC:2A or DC:39A). Only this thing is showing some problem, why volts drop so quickly

So heres the result of all tests. after loss of water. what do you think guys.

Thanks and regards.

An update

On the load of 450watts, the battery (200ah) lasts for 2.25 hours. Is it a good backup time

Which UPS do you have?

Its desi made ups

BUMP

Theoretically a 450W load translates to 38A of current at 12V, assuming there are no losses. Now if you are having 2.25 Hrs backup, this means your battery is still 2.25 x 38 = 85AH. But there are many factors which you must consider before expecting longer backup times.

1) Local made UPS efficiency is low, around 60-70% max.

2) A battery claimed 200AH by model number (e.g. NS-200) is not actually 200AH, it is at least 20-30% less.

3) Even the actual AH of the battery is only available under certain conditions, which are hard to meet while using the battery in a UPS.

4) AC loads should always be calculated in VA, not Watts. The term VA takes into account the power factor as well, and VA rating is always greater than Watts in most of the domestic loads. This means if your load is 450W, it looks to UPS as 600-700VA, which further explains a shorter backup time.

5) Your battery is already about 5 months old, the AH capacity reduces quickly when UPS battery encounters many charge and discharge cycles.

6) The battery already suffered an irreversible damage due to dryness of cells. You don't know how long it has been dry.

[quote=“khuram89, post:10, topic:21479”]

Its desi made ups

[/quote]

[quote="yousaf465, post:6, topic:21479"]

The lesson, with a APC you need a extra charger.

[/quote]

Holy crap of irrelevance..Sad indeed..

@topic

as ijaz has already pointed out almost EVERYthing that has/could have happened to your system, it is advisable to get your ups battery charging circuit checked and preferably either get the kit repaired or replaced with a better one ASAP, or buy a better 24V ups with better electrical management and load tolerance.

as for the future of this setup, your battery has suffered irreversible damage already.. let it pass its life cycle even with less backup time as selling it wont get you more than 4000rs by weight (estimate) and new is a lot above 16k...so pass this winter season, and next year in march april, buy // replace your current ups, and get 24V ups with smaller batteries instead of one huge sized one. its always better and lasts longer than single battery.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:13, topic:21479”]

Holy crap of irrelevance..Sad indeed..

@topic

as ijaz has already pointed out almost EVERYthing that has/could have happened to your system, it is advisable to get your ups battery charging circuit checked and preferably either get the kit repaired or replaced with a better one ASAP, or buy a better 24V ups with better electrical management and load tolerance.

as for the future of this setup, your battery has suffered irreversible damage already.. let it pass its life cycle even with less backup time as selling it wont get you more than 4000rs by weight (estimate) and new is a lot above 16k...so pass this winter season, and next year in march april, buy // replace your current ups, and get 24V ups with smaller batteries instead of one huge sized one. its always better and lasts longer than single battery.

[/quote]

understand the context in which was written. ^_^

@khuram89

Visit your local UPS repairmen and ask him to adjust your UPS for your battery.

24V UPS either APC or Desi will be better option compared to 12V aka single battery UPS.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:13, topic:21479”]

it is advisable to get your ups battery charging circuit checked and preferably either get the kit repaired or replaced with a better one ASAP, or buy a better 24V ups with better electrical management and load tolerance.
[/quote]

x2

There is a good chance that your UPS is not FULLY charging the battery.

Assalamolaikum.

Guys this is my very post on wired pakistan. I was going through differents threads and ended up coming acorss this one.

It might sound a bit hanky panky to you but we have developed a chemical process that can revive an weak battery and after doing that chemical process on a battery; the battery can last for atleast an year. I have personally revived my neighbours volta battery which was not giving an adequate backup. After doing now it's working fine.

Thanks.

Post details and pictures so others can benefit from your process,

My battery is not getting fully charged I have checked the gravity of each cell which is not more than 1.175 while the ups cut off voltage is 14.5v and charging current 10 amp

My battery is not getting fully charged I have checked the gravity of each cell which is not more than 1.175 while the ups cut off voltage is 14.5v and charging current 10 amp