UPS Battery drinking water

guys - my battery is using water like its drinking - in 10-12 days the water level goes down to half and i have to refill it again. I asked some of my friends and they dont have any issue like this. What can be the issue and possible solution ?

thanks

Acid not water right?

It must be overcharging the battery.....

yup acid - but i'm adding water available in the market for cars.

Ali - what can be the possible solution ? should i call the tech to chcek on it ?

how long are you using your battery? if the battery is a little older then you should get it to some proper car electrician and ask him to put acid in it. i think your water level is more than acid level in the battery and thats why it drying up so soon.

its pretty new - like may be 4 months old i guess, but i'll check with some electrician as well.

During charging, water converts into hydrogen and oxygen and escapes from battery. If electrolyte level reduces too early it means your charger is charging very heavily (it is confirmed if water seems bubbling and boiling in battery and battery feels hotter)

It is also possible that charger does not switch-off charging when battery has fully charged.

i definately see bubbles poping out - is it the location, its placed inside the kitchen shelves which generally is not hot but at time can be ? Xplorer , what would be the solution ?

Also check if there is a bulge on the sides of battery.

sidon say phooli hoe ho ge thori see

It's a sign of worn out plates.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

how long are you using your battery? if the battery is a little older then you should get it to some proper car electrician and ask him to put acid in it. i think your water level is more than acid level in the battery and thats why it drying up so soon.
[/quote]

What should be the ratio between acid and water level 50-50 ?

Where to get the acid from ? petrol pump ? any good brand ?

^well the ratio should be 2:1 to acid:water. so basically it should be 66% acid and 33% water BUT an electrician told me once that the acid they use is not pure so they use around 75% acid and 25% water, so its like 3 parts acid and 1 part water. you can go to any car electrician, they can do all sort of stuff usually you will see tons of battery lying around in their shop.

Your UPS is overcharging the battery OR the battery has become weak and not reaching the required voltage levels (typically 14.2-14.5Volts) on which UPS charging cuts off.

Didn't your battery had a warranty card? It should have, otherwise you cannot even avail the measly six months warranty.

If you have the card, you can take the battery to that shop for free checkup/top-up of acid. Otherwise, you may have to pay a little (not sure how much).

kuya is right.

@BandwidthHungry,kratos24

Never add acid to the battery to raise the electrolyte level.

Always add clean and pure water (boiled or distilled).

Acid is just added once, when battery is dry and electrolyte is to be added first time.

Our technicians add acid to battery which temporarily energizes battery, but it is very harmful for battery life.

I am facing somewhat of the same problem.... the 'charging' light on my UPS is on constantly. Also the water level goes down quite fast too. My battery is about 3 years old. i guess it needs changing.... :(.

3 years! woah

you are lucky it served you for so much time

so i took down my UPS two days ago :P so far no loadshedding, planning to drag some time out and get the battery checked now. I hope LESCO doesn't get short of load this time.

^^ An SLA battery like those from CSB will give you 5 guaranteed years with warranty coverage if you are willing to pay double the cost of a Wet Battery.

i am sure he has a wet battery and these wet batteries don't go more than 2 years with UPS

Yeap. 2 years is the *max* you can get out of a wet battery. Get it changed before it blasts/leaks the acid all over the place.

I'm also kinda having the same problem, I usually check my battery water one everyt 2-3 weeks and it needs aonly a lil topping up, only this week when i just incidentally check the battery both of em were below their half mark level whivh gave me a shock my batteries are only 4 months old and my UPS is a chineese one with all the overcharge protection near sine wave output non-sense. Didnt happen before though, so I suspect any problem or should wait for the next top up.