Upgrading of OS of Samsung Galaxy S2

Dears

I have Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android OS 4.0.3. i want to upgrade its OS with latest official version. If anyone upgraded the OS of S2, please share.

My S2 GT-I9100 has Android 4.1.2 with I9100XXMS2 baseband.

You can try these options

1) Install Samsung Kies on any Windows PC and connect your phone to check if an official update is available.

2) While being on WiFi on your phone, go to Settings - - About Device - - Software Update - - Update

3) Manually update by downloading the firmware from sammobile.com and flash via Odin software.

I used to have a Samsung S2 earlier but lost it while on a holiday trip with friends and while I had it the updates used to happen automatically. I had the wifi only option unchecked so didint have to be connected to wifi and would use the 3G connection. It does take a while and the phone restarts afterwards on its own without having to do anything. I now use a Samsung note and its the same with this one too.

As mentioned in the above post the option 2 is what you should be using and is the quickest and easiest of them all. If you havent rooted the phone.

Dear Ijaz;

Though I have checked the "Auto update" in Settings but still when i turn on the wi-fi, system doesnt download any update. I still have Android Version 4.0.3.

If I connect the device with PC, what Kies shows is as below;

Firmware Information:

Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.

Your current firmware version PDA:LPQ / PHONE / LPQ CSC:LPQ (XXX)

I am the new user of Samsung and is needed some guideline. I want to install latest OS suitable for S2.

Dear Shamsheer e Kashmir

What does it mean "If you havent rooted the phone"?

[quote=“signode, post:4, topic:20450”]

Dear Ijaz;

Though I have checked the "Auto update" in Settings but still when i turn on the wi-fi, system doesnt download any update. I still have Android Version 4.0.3.

Firmware Information:

Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.

I am the new user of Samsung and is needed some guideline. I want to install latest OS suitable for S2.

Dear Shamsheer e Kashmir

[/quote]

Rooting means to hack the phone to get access to all the features, like its Jail Break on Apple...

Obviously you haven't rooted the phone,

I would suggest that you go over to the XDA developers forum , they have very user friendly guides there and Tons of stuff to help you to get your S2 rocking like it deserves...

If you wanna stay official they also have official ROMs there , so no worries about that.

[quote=“ShoukaT, post:5, topic:20450”]

Dear Ijaz;

Though I have checked the “Auto update” in Settings but still when i turn on the wi-fi, system doesnt download any update. I still have Android Version 4.0.3.

Firmware Information:
Your device’s current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.

Dear Shamsheer e Kashmir

What does it mean “If you havent rooted the phone”?

Rooting means to hack the phone to get access to all the features, like its Jail Break on Apple…

Obviously you haven’t rooted the phone,

I would suggest that you go over to the XDA developers forum , they have very user friendly guides there and Tons of stuff to help you to get your S2 rocking like it deserves…

If you wanna stay official they also have official ROMs there , so no worries about that.

[/quote]

thank god finally someone said that native forum for mobile phones is XDA @sognode you are knocking wrong door

[quote=“signode, post:4, topic:20450”]

Dear Ijaz;

Firmware Information:

Dear Shamsheer e Kashmir

[/quote]

If you have a custom ROM installed, or your phone it Rooted then you will not be able to get official update. May be previous owner had done something like that.

Do you see an icon "Super User" or "SU" in the app drawer ? If yes, your phone is rooted.

Rooting itself does not give you any new or improved features, it just allows you to access the system folders (the root of the internal drive).

My sincere advise to you would be to only use updates provided by samsung and just in case that is not working due to you or if there was a previous owner who has fiddled around with the phone then I would advise you go down to some samsung authorised service centre and get your phone flashed again so that in future you would keep getting Samsung provided android updates.

There is no use messing around with a branded phones software as there are little or no benefits.

^ Actually there are tons of advantages of messing around with branded phones.. infact branded phones are the only ones to be messed with and reap a lot of benefits.. non branded phones don get their updates on time or ever, and they have little or none community support.

flashing a galaxy S2 is one of the greatest joys and one of the proudest moments of owning a smart phone.. even though i dont use custom roms a lot.. only try a few, flashing the original software with just the Siyah kernel is the best thing that has ever happened to the audio of my phone, which comes with the most pathetic sound chip in the world in any gadget.. now i can enjoy loud clear music in my hours of travelling daily

All thanks to

->

->

"Messing around " with my branded phone

:P

[quote=", post:8, topic:20450"]

My sincere advise to you would be to only use updates provided by samsung and just in case that is not working due to you or if there was a previous owner who has fiddled around with the phone then I would advise you go down to some samsung authorised service centre and get your phone flashed again so that in future you would keep getting Samsung provided android updates.

There is no use messing around with a branded phones software as there are little or no benefits.

[/quote]

Own an Android phone and live like Apple ?

Although there is always a (very less probable) risk in flashing, but if you chose right firmware and observe other precautions, then it is no problem.

Samsung service center will also use the Odin, believe me..

^ Exactly..

Odin is the easiest tool i have ever used for flashing Rom, including the oldest RUU for old HTC Diamond, and the Sony Flash utiility is just incomplete..... Odin is purely automated 2 click flash...

@ijaz..

have you found any AOSP rom, i mean the original samsung rom with everything crap removed from it making it light fast and battery friendly? like weather widgets, minidiary, talk, talk back all hubs etc removed from it?

i have to manualy freeze them on each flash as they suck, but eventually they start creating hangups even frozen or uninstalled as their service is often required by other apps, which i also dont use :@

i need a samsung rom JB, 4.1+ , with no crap, light weight and just the Touchwiz NatureUX on it... there are a couple on xda but they are full roms at 800MB with pre-rooting or some extra features, not skinned samsung originals..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:11, topic:20450”]

@ijaz..

have you found any AOSP rom, i mean the original samsung rom with everything crap removed from it making it light fast and battery friendly? like weather widgets, minidiary, talk, talk back all hubs etc removed from it?

i have to manualy freeze them on each flash as they suck, but eventually they start creating hangups even frozen or uninstalled as their service is often required by other apps, which i also dont use :@

i need a samsung rom JB, 4.1+ , with no crap, light weight and just the Touchwiz NatureUX on it... there are a couple on xda but they are full roms at 800MB with pre-rooting or some extra features, not skinned samsung originals..

[/quote]

Which particular Samsung model ROM you are looking for ? I mean for which device ?

I have been using Samsung from Galaxy S, then S2 and now S4. I agree that there is a lot of un-wanted stuff in Sammy ROMs which is pretty useless and even if you want to use it, it says "Service is not available in your country".

But that stuff does not bother me - it stays there in App Drawer and keeps updating itself. So I never thought to find any AOSP ROM, but I have seen one such ROM working on a Galaxy S. It was something from Cyanogenmod.

I have the galaxy S2.

the JB Stock rom is bloat ware.. 4.1.2 Uk LSW..

i tried once the pacman and Paranoidandroid roms, but those donot work with kies, donot make backups, and donot update well, and require CWM for flashing which is always risky.. besides i always need the Stweaks of Siyah kernel for audio enhancement, so stock Samsung is a must..

there fore i need a slimmed down Stock rom wich would work with kies and update with official google play without installing Gapps...but not with sammy bloatware..

Anyone, Any advice?

I have discussed with a person about upgradation of operating system from 4.0.3 to other but he given me advice dont do that. He told that your phone is Korean and normally IMEI # of Korean phone doesnt disply by dialing *#06# but in your phone IMEI is being deiplay. Its mean someone has already rouched its OS. So if you upgrade the OS, may some problem appears in any function after that.

Now confused what should I do. Should I meet with Samsung official customer care person?

I was thinking it is GT-I9100 (International version) because you told us that you have Galaxy S2.

What is the exact model number of the phone ? I will check if there is an update available ?

Build Number IML74K.XXLPQ

take off the battery cover and take out battery from behind and confirm the model which is written under it

if it is infact i9100 then you are good to do anything with your device from XDA forums...

Latest offical 4.1.2 (released or leaked) is I9100XWLSZ (for Ireland) or I9100XWLSS (UK and Ireland) from sammobile.com

In your case, it is no issue to update manually via Odin.

@signnode

only update if your GS2 is able to detect an update in Kies.. korean sets have lots of problem with english firmwares as their language in Messages and keyboard becomes korean.. so be careful.. a safe method is updating via kies only.. otherwise be careful.

Thanks my friends for suggestions. Image after battery pull out is as under.

Farhan

Please see the below picture that what message Kies displays about firmware.

I am the user of BlackBerry and dont know about Samsung. Still wandering what should I do.