Upgrades

I'm looking to get some upgrades to my system, so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions/recommendations/advice etc.

Current config:

- Motherboard: Intel DG965RY

- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (1.8GHz)

- RAM: 1GB

- Hard disk: WD 160GB (Caviar SE, I think its called)

I'm looking to go to Vista this time, but I don't think I need a motherboard/processor upgrade - what do you think? I might go to a Core 2 Quad, but then I'll have to get a new motherboard too, as it doesn't support them. Maybe a faster Core 2 Duo?

Possible upgrades:

- Hard disk: WD 500GB (SATA); can SATA and IDE run together, if I keep the old HD too?

- RAM: 4GB

- Graphics card: 8500GT or 8600GT (DDRII?)

- Speakers: Creative M-2600

- Printer+Scanner+Copier: Canon PIXMA MP145; one thing that concerns me is cartridge price. Does anybody have a recommendation instead of the Canon?

- Power supply? I think I'll be needing a better power supply - what kind of Wattage should I look for?

Would love to hear from you guys about this. Thanks!

No need for a Core Quad for most uses, you'll be better off getting a Core 2 clocked at higher speeds - the Quads are generally have slower clock speeds.

2 GB ram is the sweet spot for Vista, after that you won't notice much performance increase, unless you're editing video or something like that.

If you don't have a graphics card, than get one! Especially if u use apps like Google Earth.

Speakers - get the Altec Lansing 5021 speakers, those are better than many stereo systems, priced much higher.

If you are into gaming go for 9600gso(8400 Pkr) and don't go for the 8500 or 8600gt they wouldn't be able to handle new games,and if you have more money go for his hd 4850 (about 16000pkr)

As KO said 4gb ram wouldn't make much difference but if you want to be future proof go for 4 gb.

If you want to overclock throw that that intel board and buy some other.

As far as the power supply is concerned go for something more then 450 watts and buy a BRANDED! one.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely look at those options.

Does anyone have an idea of the price difference between Galaxy's rates and Uni Center rates? I'm trying to work out if its worth it going to Uni for all this vs. going to one shop that does it all (Jogi's?)

Any suggestions for a good place that doesn't rip people off?

the diff wont be more than 50 rupees but its always good to check rates

avoid Jogi's

So I got the upgrades done today! :D

- Processor: Core2 Duo 2.53GHz

- Graphics: 9600GSO

- TV tuner (finally): Pixelview PlayTV MPEG 800GT

- Power: Cooler Master 460W

- 4GB RAM

- 500GB WD SATA HD

... feels so good! :P

Congrats! Nice Rig Waleed!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

So I got the upgrades done today! :D

- Processor: Core2 Duo 2.53GHz

- Graphics: 9600GSO

- TV tuner (finally): Pixelview PlayTV MPEG 800GT

- Power: Cooler Master 460W

- 4GB RAM

- 500GB WD SATA HD

… feels so good! :P

[/quote]

nice rig, my friend :D

I just bought out the bag full of games that I've had for ages but never been able to play on the integrated graphics that came with the motherboard :P I'm so pathetic right now...

Also, I'm impressed with the TV card - pretty straightforward setup, though the remote doesn't work for some reason (will have it checked tomorrow) and the darned program is always on the top! Not that I needed to waste any more time in front of the computer, I can watch the idiot box here too! Yaay!

I remember when we got a huge hard disk of 4GB... boy, now were those the days!

I'm installing Vista on the new HD, but I'm a bit confused.

One of the partitions on the new HD has XP on it, which I plan to clean and replace with Vista. The old HD has XP on it, which I want to keep (dual-boot). Should I just boot in to the Vista installation disk and install in the right partition?

Some help on how to proceed would be appreciated! Also, I've got to figure out the right time to do this so the power doesn't go out in the middle of things - how much time does a Vista installation approx take?

u dont have ups? wtf?

only primary hard disk can be used for windows. put 20 windows in your secondary harddsik but if in boot page you have selected the first hardsik to load first then vista will load. and dual boot is #$%# trust me. keep one only. and if your pc is fast then it will take hour or less. if not then prepare for 2 hours.

u dont have ups? wtf?

only primary hard disk can be used for windows. put 20 windows in your secondary harddsik but if in boot page you have selected the first hardsik to load first then vista will load. and dual boot is #$%# trust me. keep one only. and if your pc is fast then it will take hour or less. if not then prepare for 2 hours.

[/quote]

I decided against the UPS in favor of the graphics card and power supply :)

I went ahead and installed Vista on a partition in the new hard drive. All works well, got a Windows Experience Rating of 5.4. Dual boot Vista and XP working fine.

that's cool i had performance rating of 2.0 :D

btw you wont need XP

that’s cool i had performance rating of 2.0 :D

btw you wont need XP

[/quote]

XP is for my brothers, who are–let’s say–scared of Vista. I’m trying to gradually bring them over :P

:D vista is faster and feels better but only if your system is top notch