Upgrade to 4Mbps?

Hi Folks

I was told that DSL connections were being upgraded. I have a 2Mbps connection - how do I know if it's now upped to 4 ? The browsing isn't any better to be very honest so not sure if it is. Logging into the modem I get Downstream/Upstream listed as 4096/896. Appreciate any help.

Well for starters you could run a couple speed tests and see what you get:

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

what man u use a 2mbps conection for only browsing....

i guess if u use dsl only for browsing then 1mbps is enuff...

if u r a downloader then u ll notice some speed difference..

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hi Folks

I was told that DSL connections were being upgraded. I have a 2Mbps connection - how do I know if it’s now upped to 4 ? The browsing isn’t any better to be very honest so not sure if it is. Logging into the modem I get Downstream/Upstream listed as 4096/896. Appreciate any help.

[/quote]

you have been upgraded to 4MB.

If I've been upgraded to 4MB then here's the problem:

1. When I browse, the speed is CLEARLY slower than when I'm browsing overseas, even at airports where connections are traditionally not great. I know this because there are only certain sites I look up (eg CNN with videos) so I have a pretty good idea of when it's slow and when it's not

2. When I run the speedtest (using the link posted above)

For an Islamabad server

DL SPeed 1.72 Mbps

UL Speed 0.7 Mbps

Ping 176 ms

But .... for a non-PTCL server like NY

DL Speed 0.86 Mbps

UL Speed 0.59 Mbps

Ping 300 ms

So the question to you guys is - am I getting the 4Mbps "speed" that I should be getting and if not, what should I do?

Thanks and appreciate the feedback

To add insult to injury, when I test the same server on a 512Kbps Wateen connection (yes I have both, don't ask!) I get

DL Speed 0.53 Mbps

Upload Speed 0.22 Mbps

Ping 401ms

Appreciate the input

just download a file and see the transfer rate. if it is 400 KB than ur upgraded

I did - went to microsoft.com and downloaded Service Pack2 (or was it 3) - a miserable 60 Kbps. Then (on someone's advice) tried something called "Limewire" to download a song - with 12 connections it still peaked at 186 Kbps not 400.

Any suggestions? Again, appreciate the help

Any suggestions? Called PTCL and logged a "complaint" but we all know how well that's going to go.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Any suggestions? Called PTCL and logged a “complaint” but we all know how well that’s going to go.
[/quote]

Follow it up,PTCL is not the same now. They are quite efficiency these days.