Upgrade question

i want to upgrade from pentium 4 to dual core. ive got dell inspiron 4600. now what i want to know is that can i upgrade in phases like get a new motherboard which supports the new and old processors without having to format my hd and lose data and time. ive got original windows xp installed if it helps. plz suggest from experts. the same goes for the hard disk any backup sugestions.

Yes, I think you can upgrade in phases. As long as all your hardware is compatible with your new motherboard.

@ xoid

When you change your motherboard. Its more likely that North Bridge chipset is different, IDE/SATA controller is different, or maybe some other chipset is different than your old motherboard. Thus, your Windows XP (or any other Windows NT based Operating System) may not boot with previous motherboard drivers.

With new motherboard (that has different chipsets), either you can use generic drivers (but it will greatly decrease your overall system speed) or reinstall Windows.

I'll highly recommend you to reinstall Windows with latest Service Pack so that you can get benefits with new technologies in your motherboard, processor and RAM.

By the way, If you decide to have 4GB or more RAM, then go for Windows Vista 64-bit (or at least Windows XP 64-bit). Otherwise your RAM will not be fully utilize.

so no easy way to change the motherboard. what about the hd. i guess its impossible to upgrade from old to new disk without formating and losing time and data. i remeber something about Ghost software or something like that. is there any software outthere that would make upgradaing easy.

there is no way you can upgrade your system while keeping ur old processor but you can keep your hdd only if the motherboard you replace has at least one or better two IDE ports. Most motherboards nowadays contain at least one so it won't be an issue.

If you have a P4 purchased after November 2004 then there is a greater chance that you will have a SATA drive which will easily get accommodated on the new mobo. It has a slimmer cable usually of red color.

DDR RAM of the P4 lineup is not supported by the Core micro-architecture based platforms including Pentium Dual Core, Core2 Duo/Quad/Extreme and Corei7. Therefore you'll have to buy DDR2 (very cheap 1000 - 1200 for 1 GB) or DDR3 (very expensive 7000+ for any size) RAMs.

Your optical drive and power supply (if 400W) will be able to support any dual core processor.

thanks for the detialed responses everyone will look into it

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

so no easy way to change the motherboard. what about the hd. i guess its impossible to upgrade from old to new disk without formating and losing time and data. i remeber something about Ghost software or something like that. is there any software outthere that would make upgradaing easy.
[/quote]

You can use Acronis TrueImage if you want to install new hdd without formatting and losing time and data. This is the best product for cloning or backup of hdd.