What is 3G?
* 3G (third generation) is a collection of international standards and technologies.
* 3G increases efficiency by improving the performance of mobile wireless networks.
1G – 2G – 3G
* 1G – Analog networks
* 2G – Digital wireless phone on circuit switched networks
* 3G – Digital wireless phone on packet switched networks
* Up to 144Kbps in a high-speed moving environment (Present)
* Up to 384Kbps in a low-speed moving environment (Present)
* Up to 2Mbps in a stationary environment (Future)
Note: The speed for 2G is 9.6 kbps – 14.4 kbps.
World’s First 3G Netowrk
On May 30, 2001, NTT DoCoMO launched the world first application of W-CDMA, one of the IMT – 2000 global mobile communications standards.
With a maximum downlink transmission speed of 384 kbps.
* Take on-line shopping for example. You will be able to view and select still images of merchandise, then make payments from your electronic wallet (Digital Catalog Shopping).
* Video Mail
* Mobile Banking
* Digital Information Delivery (Audio and Video)
* Directly connect to a home automation system and be able to turn on/off home appliances such as lighting and air conditioners.
* You will have a greater control of your home security system by displaying security monitor images on your cellular phone terminal display.
* You will be able to view plays, concerts, and sports events in real-time.
* You will be able to download your favorite music, movies, and games at your leisure.
* You will be able to use the electronic encyclopedia, even with photographs.
* Retrieve vital business information from anywhere around the world.
* Conduct video conferencing with branch offices and business partners.
* Send/receive customer and sales data.
* Greater efficiency
* Lower development costs
* Backward compatibility with 2G standards
* Key benefits:
* Up to double voice capacity of the network.
* A 10-fold increase in data speeds, from 14.4 kbps to 144 kbps.
* An approximately 50 percent increase battery performance life in standby mode.
* Not all handsets are 3G ready
* Higher revenue consumption
* Network roll-out investment
Revenues From 3G
* Charging for network access and airtime.
* Charging for content and value-added services or transactions (NTT i-mode).
* No one can really predict how much impact 3G will have on our lives, but the impact will certainly be great.
* There will be a lot of e-commerce opportunity once the 3G is wildly used; however, finding the one golden opportunity is going to be challenging.