Upcoming 3G technology rocks or not!

What is 3G?

* 3G (third generation) is a collection of international standards and technologies.

* 3G increases efficiency by improving the performance of mobile wireless networks.

1G – 2G – 3G

* 1G – Analog networks

* 2G – Digital wireless phone on circuit switched networks

* 3G – Digital wireless phone on packet switched networks

The Speed

* Up to 144Kbps in a high-speed moving environment (Present)

* Up to 384Kbps in a low-speed moving environment (Present)

* Up to 2Mbps in a stationary environment (Future)

Note: The speed for 2G is 9.6 kbps – 14.4 kbps.

World’s First 3G Netowrk

On May 30, 2001, NTT DoCoMO launched the world first application of W-CDMA, one of the IMT – 2000 global mobile communications standards.

With a maximum downlink transmission speed of 384 kbps.

Personal Scene

* Take on-line shopping for example. You will be able to view and select still images of merchandise, then make payments from your electronic wallet (Digital Catalog Shopping).

* Video Mail

* Mobile Banking

* Digital Information Delivery (Audio and Video)

Home Scene

* Directly connect to a home automation system and be able to turn on/off home appliances such as lighting and air conditioners.

* You will have a greater control of your home security system by displaying security monitor images on your cellular phone terminal display.

Entertainment Scene

* You will be able to view plays, concerts, and sports events in real-time.

* You will be able to download your favorite music, movies, and games at your leisure.

* You will be able to use the electronic encyclopedia, even with photographs.

Business Scene

* Retrieve vital business information from anywhere around the world.

* Conduct video conferencing with branch offices and business partners.

* Send/receive customer and sales data.

Reasons

* Greater efficiency

* Lower development costs

* Backward compatibility with 2G standards

* Key benefits:

* Up to double voice capacity of the network.

* A 10-fold increase in data speeds, from 14.4 kbps to 144 kbps.

* An approximately 50 percent increase battery performance life in standby mode.

Hurdles

* Not all handsets are 3G ready

* Higher revenue consumption

* Network roll-out investment

Revenues From 3G

* Charging for network access and airtime.

* Charging for content and value-added services or transactions (NTT i-mode).

The Impact

* No one can really predict how much impact 3G will have on our lives, but the impact will certainly be great.

* There will be a lot of e-commerce opportunity once the 3G is wildly used; however, finding the one golden opportunity is going to be challenging.

Source: http://www.propakistani.com/2009/07/08/what-is-3g-and-where-is-3g/

we want 3G but I think its not coming soon

i guess it will come soon in Pakistan cuz there is lot of competition here and we really need such things ........

Telenor will be launching 3G on 14August and become 1st network in Pakistan by providing 3G.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Telenor will be launching 3G on 14August and become 1st network in Pakistan by providing 3G.
[/quote]

totally wrong… no lincense is being issued. and teelnor is being bought by China mobile look here http://www.propakistani.com/2009/07/21/china-mobile-telenor-holding-talks-for-merger/

heard that Licensed approval file is on Zardari table. & Telenor agreed on 90Zr- 10T sharing formula.

Wow.

@^^

Poor pakistani people, extra 10T will be taken from the people of pakistan. .. i don't know why PTA stopped it? whats their problem?

Man my cousin works in Telenor and he told me that they already got the 3G licesnse from PTA and they'll be launching 3G on 14August.

He also told me that they'll provides max speed of 3.6mbps also know HSDPA.

max speed of 3.1mbps also know HSPDA.
[/quote]

Its 3.6 mbps not 3.1 & its called HSDPA not HSPDA.

Its 3.6 mbps not 3.1 & its called HSDPA not HSPDA.

[/quote]

x2. EVDO Rev. A is 3.1 Mbps, not HSDPA. HSDPA can go upto 14.4 Mbps wheras HSPA+ can go upto 42 Mbps.

I am seeing some false information in the opening post as well.

please try to confirm the content from an authentic publisher before copying and pasting from another blog/website.

I didn't read the full post above. just got this error and thought to stop and verify the following

* Up to 144Kbps in a high-speed moving environment (Present)

* Up to 384Kbps in a low-speed moving environment (Present)

* Up to 2Mbps in a stationary environment

[/quote]

on wikipedia it says in 3G description

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.4 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+
[/quote]

on ITU it says in explaining the 3G

http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/imt-2000/technology.html#Cellular%20Standards%20for%20the%20Third%20Generation

a minimum speed of 2Mbit/s for stationary or walking users, and 348 kbit/s in a moving vehicle. Second-generation systems only provide speeds ranging from 9.6 kbit/s to 28.8 kbit/s.
[/quote]

while the opening post is saying that it is the Maximum of 2Mbps. that is actually the minimum in 3G and maximum is 14.4 Mbit/s

Mr. ProPakistan is the first & biggest technical blog of pakistan.

Who said Wikpedia is authenticate resource. In LUMS it is strictly prohibited to take data from wikipedia as it is provided by anyone who want.

Yes ITU is authentic source.

I dont know whether propakistani data is wrong or right. Just taking views from u guys.

ProPakistan first & biggest technical blog of pakistan.
[/quote]

I dont know is it first or not. but the BIGGEST…? :confused: what do u mean by that.

and technical… I dont think so… I dont want to comment on that. but only one thing most of the content on that blog is also only a collection from multiple sites AFAIK.

collecting some thing and publishing in some different way is good but without verification I really dont prefer reading it.

In LUMS it is strictly prohibited to take data from wikipedia
[/quote]

who told you that???

it’s not what you think. instead they might prohibit students from copying-only content from the internet (not only wikipedia).

again they appreciate research work but not only collection of work from different boards.

wikipedia as it is provided by anyone who want
[/quote]

try to publish an article(on tech) on wikipedia before saying that.

Thanks for correcting my mistaks as i'm not as good as u but regarding 3G its coming in August.

I dont think so that 3g by telenor is comming on 14 aug as i read in jang news few days before not sure about the date that they said with ref to pta that pakistani infrastructure is not capable so it will take some time to implement and the most near date to lauch 3 g will in in 2011 what i read rest i dont know as it is Pakistan.

@asdaqamin Are you really comparing a stupid pakistani blog website's content with an international encylopedia website's content, if so, [light-offence]then you my friend are somewhat stupid[/light-offence].

@asdaqamin Are you really comparing a stupid pakistani blog website’s content with an international encylopedia website’s content, if so, [light-offence]then you my friend are somewhat stupid[/light-offence].
[/quote]

x2, Most tech articles (which also quote sources) are reliable. BTW anyone can get up and start a blog, other people can’t even correct if he writes something wrong. Usually Political, Religious and less frequently visited pages on Wikipedia have mistakes in them and are sometimes vandalized as well.

well its rocks it feels me like i am using broadband on my phone

^3G is broadband

* 2G – Digital wireless phone on circuit switched networks

* 3G – Digital wireless phone on packet switched networks

[/quote]

what are these and what is the difference?