Understanding the EVDO Wireless technology

I have a couple of questions for the guys who have wireless know-how:

(1) My PTCL EVO gets only 1 or no signal bars when it is set on 1X setting while it shows 2 or 3 signal bars when it is on EVDO mode. Whats the reason for that?

(2) I made a shift-make antenna (as there are couple of posts on this forum telling how to do it) and I was able to get full 5 bars in EVDO mode and those bars were stable but even then my throughput was very bad and delay varying from 100ms to > 2000 ms !!! I tried it at different times (off peak, peak etc.) with the same result. If I go outside on the roof, it works just fine and throughput and delay becomes predictable. So I am trying to understand this phenomenon that why I get terrible throughput even when I have 5 signal bars indoor with my home-made antenna? (Probably something is wrong with my antenna?)

Thanks,

Or maybe some sort of electro-magnetic interference indoors

as far as my concern i think all the wifi technology give high signal on "demand"

when we try to call from our mobile it need high connectivity just like evdo need but 1X and mobiles having no calls are not required high connectivity as its dangerous to health so it remains normal but when we try to call or try to connect to dsl through ptcl evo due to its need we get maximum signal availability from the server

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have a couple of questions for the guys who have wireless know-how:

(1) My PTCL EVO gets only 1 or no signal bars when it is set on 1X setting while it shows 2 or 3 signal bars when it is on EVDO mode. Whats the reason for that

[/quote]

That is something unexpected. EVDO is a protocol based on 1xRTT. That means that every tower/cell/BTS that offers EVDO service must have 1xRTT service as well. Maybe you should restart your computer after setting to CDMA only mode to see if you get your signals back.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
(2) I made a shift-make antenna (as there are couple of posts on this forum telling how to do it) and I was able to get full 5 bars in EVDO mode and those bars were stable but even then my throughput was very bad and delay varying from 100ms to > 2000 ms !!! I tried it at different times (off peak, peak etc.) with the same result. If I go outside on the roof, it works just fine and throughput and delay becomes predictable. So I am trying to understand this phenomenon that why I get terrible throughput even when I have 5 signal bars indoor with my home-made antenna? (Probably something is wrong with my antenna?)
[/quote]

My guess is that you when you are in your home, you are connected to 2 Active PNs (Cell site) at the same time, which in some cases does reduce the performance. In my case I always have a Cell that gets almost the same signal power as my Active PN and is in the Candidates PN list (This is the list of cell towers your device will switch to if the Active PNs signal power becomes low than Candidates, but if they fluctuate at about the same, then it will stay connected to both). When you go to the roof, you get a clear, and probably a LoS signal to one of the cell site, and only connect to that.