Undegraduate Courses

I wanted to ask a question about undergraduate courses.. There are universities offering BS in telecom like Fast and other universities and there are a few universities which are offering BE in telecom. What exactly is the difference in them? I mean i know BS means Bachelors of Science and BE is Bachelors of Engineering but on fast's website it says BS in telecom Engineering. So is that equal to BE in Telecom Engineering or what?

Whats the difference between BE and BS?

imo.........there are the education system widely followed in pakistan

i-e American system of education and British system

BS is used in American system

and

BE in used in British system

You can take a look at the list of different courses offered by universities. I think they are more or less the same.

i am probably wrong but could it be that some universities who cannot give engineering degrees but only science degrees. So they change the name to get away with that?

What exactly is the difference in terms of Jobs ? I mean how does it effect me if i do BS or BE? Ive noticed there are more BS degrees then there are BE. I dont really get the difference between them. If there is no significant difference between them then i should do either of them and it wont really matter right?

^ the main thing to bother about is not BE or BS but the degree should be recognized by PEC that is the big deal

check for the institute and major on the PEC website

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ the main thing to bother about is not BE or BS but the degree should be recognized by PEC that is the big deal

check for the institute and major on the PEC website

[/quote]

Ahan, so its really not much of a difference BS or BE ?

If a university within Pakistan isn't recognized by the Pakistan Engineering Council, its engineering degree would be known as a BS.. for example Fast is offering BS, whereas Sir Syed is BE..

No difference in the course

^yo........thats what i said earlier

Ahan. I see.

Can anyone of you tell me if Sir Syed requires Chemistry for BE Telecom? I think they do have Telecom in Sir Syed?

Plus so what i understand is that as BE is recognized by PEC that makes it better then BS right ?

^ not sir syed but all universities require chemistry b/c when u study advance electronics and communication courses then u need chemistry concepts ................................chemistry is must for COMMUNICATION engineering

and don't bother about BE or BS ...just check status on PEC and HEC website

^ not sir syed but all universities require chemistry b/c when u study advance electronics and communication courses then u need chemistry concepts …chemistry is must for COMMUNICATION engineering

and don’t bother about BE or BS …just check status on PEC and HEC website

[/quote]

Why do you need chemistry for electronics and communication?! I’m in electrical engineering and we only do ONE chemistry course which covers the very basics, thats it.

Actually NUST dont require you to study chemistry on A level/Inter level because if you havent then they teach you Chemistry in the first semester and you have to score above a certain percentage if you have to continue your studies. So for that reason i might apply to Nust but as you all know its not really easy to get in NUST plus NUST isnt in karachi, The karachi campus hasnt got the courses i need anyway also i havent heard good things about the karachi campus.

So, Which universities dont require chemistry for Telecom or Communication engineering in Karachi? Because i havent studied chemistry in A levels.

PNEC in Karachi is a constituent college of NUST.

Why do you need chemistry for electronics and communication?! I’m in electrical engineering and we only do ONE chemistry course which covers the very basics, thats it.

[/quote]

yeah u right … basically u study general chemistry in 1st or 2nd semester but having F.Sc with Chemistry is PEC requirement for engineering in pakistan

^ there may be some other way .........but as far as i know u cannot do EE without chemistry whether its NUST PNEC SSUET MAJU NED or whatever

^ there may be some other way …but as far as i know u cannot do EE without chemistry whether its NUST PNEC SSUET MAJU NED or whatever
[/quote]

Well NUST’s prospectus states the following:

FSc (Pre-Engineering) from any Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education or an equivalent qualification {Overseas High School Certificate/ British General Certificate of Education (Advanced level)/ International Baccalaureate Advance Placement} with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. In addition FSc/ equivalent with a combination of Physics, Mathematics and Computer Studies or Computer Science for admission in Computer Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Avionics Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering and Information & Communication System Engineering programmes only.

As per Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) Regulations, intake criteria for BE Computer Software Engineering, BE Computer Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Avionics Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering and Information & Communication System Engineering also includes the Combination of Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science/Computer Studies at intermediate level. For these applicants NUST will conduct English, Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science test. Both the streams i.e (pre-engineering) and FSc (CS) will be eligible for above mentioned disciplines (also see Note at the end of this Chapter). The NUST entrance test result of both these streams will be considered at par with one another.

The selected candidates for Computer Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Avionics Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering and Information & Communication Engineering with FSc/equivalent in Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science/Computer Studies subjects will have to take additional Chemistry course of 2-3 credit hours during evening of 1st semester for which they will have to pay as per the policy on taking additional credits.

Students will be required to pass this additional course (minimum 60% marks) in order to continue further studies. Students unable to secure 60% marks will be dropped from the course.

so thats better for u dear ............it means u can apply for above mentioned programs on equivalent certificate basis

Can someone tell me when is the test going to be held for 2008 undergraduate courses? The nust website is still showing dates of the last year.

i read about test dates for graduate courses this sunday but not sure about undergrad