Ufone Question Re: Email

Is it possible for someone with a Ufone number to

receive emails sent from (say Gmail) to his mobile

using this format:

3xxxxxxxxx@ufone.com

There are older posts on forums where users claim

that it is possible, once you register your mobile no.

at the ufone.com website and sign-up for their info-

services.

I did just that and a day has passed, but all the

emails are bouncing back to me. None is getting

through. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need

to do something extra, to get this thing working ?.

Do you have to do something special at the ufone

website, to set up an email account there ?.

Members with experience kindly shed some light on

this matter. Or is there another way that you can

send email to a ufone subscriber ?.

Many thanks in advance.

Sheikh 'Stuck' Chilli

Hi, Cant find anything about this may be you can call on 333 to get this kind of service, But I have used http://gsn.kipmi.com/ in past and I found this very helpfull. Here is summary what it does. You download it and configure it. Lets say you have configured it for Gmail. After that when ever you will recive email in your inbox it will automatically will send the email's first two lines, then you can decide wheter the email is that important to reply and then you can go to wap services, open the email and reply to it or just ignore it once you reach your PC :)

Hope this helps.

@sheikh_chilli

Yep! there was a service (don't know what it is called at ufone, as they didn't have any clue about this service's existence). and I used it most of the times.

but after seeing your post asking about it. I just re-checked it and it failed me. It's just bouncing my emails back now as well

I guess they shutdown the service fully. it was previously available on some but not all of the numbers though. I just emailed them to get some information on it.

Chilli, good to see you after a long time. Your identity, i.e, writing Sheikh "blah" Chilli is still hasn't changed... I like this part!! :P

To others, Ufone is fully aware of this service. It was available before, and still IS AVAILABLE. They have just changed the sending address.

You can send sms as an email using this format:

yournumber@ufonegsm.pk

E.g

03331337000@ufonegsm.pk

BTW, I've always had problems when sending it via GMail. The message takes a lot of time to get delivered, while using hotmail, it is sent almost instantly.

^Yep! I have got the email response from Ufone Customer Care informing about this new email address.

the number@ufone.com will no longer work. and I tried with the new email address it worked good with @ufonegsm.pk

And may be some of them are good with their knowledge of their services. but NOT GOOD at all.

I am still on my statement that at Ufone Helpline they are still not fully aware of this kind of service.

I just tried again to get it worked on another of my ufone number which just doesn't receive SMS alerts for emails sent on thatnumber@ufonegsm.pk

I called 333 again for this and I was surprised, even after explaining him in detail what I was willing to ask, he answered me that I have to activate this service (which I never subscribed to, with my other number that is able to receive SMS alerts on receiving emails). So I answered negatively.

after explaining again he requested me to hold on (he was going to confirm about it from his colleagues perhaps). He got back and told me to visit Customer Care Center with my phone..

PhhhhRrrrrrrrrr........

@sheikh_chilli

you should hit a try on your_number@ufonegsm.pk

It should work fine if it was working previously with " @ufone.com "

I tried all different permutations and used various email

clients (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail), with this new format:

number@ufonegsm.pk

And still the emails all bounce back to me, undelivered.

I wonder if you have to have GPRS enabled on your

SIM account and/or the ufone InfoServices activated,

for this to work.

Sheikh 'Nice To See You Too! ehti' Chilli

I don't think it has anything to do with GPRS. As far as infoservices are concerned, I haven't subscribed to any of them, however, I do have a web account on their website. But I sent a message to another number and it too was delivered... Don't know what the problem could be at your end.

EDIT: email sent to number@ufonegsm.pk shouldn't be bounced back :S Make sure you don't write the number in international format... just 0333xxxxxxx@ufonegsm.pk

Just found it

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
http://www.ufone.com/mobile_products.aspx

Create an account on our website and get access to a host of personalized online services like Address Book, Calendar & Planner, POP3 Alerts, Email Address as well as Infotainment Services that let you subscribe to daily horoscope, quotes, jokes, and much more!

[/quote]

I also think GPRS has no way to relate this service. even when I talked to Helpline, He was just talking about stupid services to subscribe with, to avail these Email Alerts via SMS.

"SMS to Email" is the service, he talked about. First, take in mind that I didn't even subscribe with it with the number already receiving SMS alerts on email (we are talking about here).

I again contacted Customer Care via email and told him, on his request, the date&time and the representative's name I talked to. just waiting for his response.

on the other side "Info Services" is the part of membership at Ufone Website as well. but they are not required to subscribe with, to avail the subject service. I don't have any one subscribed.

and after seeing the above quoted information, I just have registered at the site now as well with the other number(that was not receiving alerts for the emails @ufonegsm.pk), and watching out for the service if it works. also keeping in mind that email activation at hosts may take time to work.

But I am not sure about that as well because, sheikh_chilli; you already have done that perhaps.

but one thing to mention about this number, If I send any email to this number@ufonegsm.pk, It was never bounced back any way. however it's possible that the individual emails could be bounced back even if the host does exist (called Soft Bounce). but that's another part. The rules should work same for all customers. I think you should try again it shouldn't be bounced back atleast as with my other number.

at last I am waiting for the response from Customer Care. they really responded well last time.

Just found it

and after seeing the above quoted information, I just have registered at the site now as well with the other number(that was not receiving alerts for the emails @ufonegsm.pk), and watching out for the service if it works. also keeping in mind that email activation at hosts may take time to work.

But I am not sure about that as well because, sheikh_chilli; you already have done that perhaps.

[/quote]

It worked.

I just have started receiving alerts on the other number too which I registered yesterday

I Did: only registration and nothing else. No subscription to any of the InfoServices.

OK, using the number@ufonegsm.pk works for me, only

if I have the Info Services turned on. I didn't even have

to subscribe. As soon as I sent the email to my number,

ufone subscribed me to their Info-Services, automatically:

"Thank you for subscribing to Info-Services", SMS from 492.

So I discontinued the service through SMS and then tried

sending the email. The message was held-up by ufone.

Instead of the email, I got this: "Dear customer you are

not subscribed for Info-Services", from 4912034950.

So I re-subscribed to Info-Services through SMS and then

tried sending the email and it worked. Their website seems

disconnected with this whole process, since it continues

to show that I am not a subscriber to their Info-Services,

while my mobile balance indicates that I am being charged

daily for them.

Interesting, ain't it ?. :)

Sheikh 'Mysterious Ways' Chilli

i have been reading this thread from first day day of its opening ....

thanks Sheikh_Chilli for telling that Mysterious way. :)

I must thank ehti and KA for coming up with new

information and doing the hard work behind the

scenes. At least, we are now a bit better informed

about this particular service from ufone.

Sheikh 'I Can See Clearer Now' Chilli

I too get that mysterious "Thank you for using Ufone infoservices..." message almost daily! But I haven't subscribed to ANY of their services... Just registered on their website... But I never paid attention to my balance... If we aren't subscribed to any of the services, are we still charged 1rs per day?

Really strange, I am not running out of the balance because for this particular service or for InfoServices (to which my number is not actually subscribed).

however I don't use ufone on primary basis, so I keep it turned off. But yes! the very first time, when sheikh_chilli started this thread, I just turned on my ufone sim to check for this email alert service, and I got that same SMS thanking me for using Ufone InfoServices. But mind it that I had not been charged for that. And today, since then, My ufone balance just doesn't show any kind of deduction for any service. It's intact.

Also I didn't receive such an SMS on other number of my bro, which I newly registered above. I am sure at that time this number has already run out of balance but it had started receiving SMS alerts for emails sent to that number.

I hope the balance won't go negative on next recharge :P

Their website seems

disconnected with this whole process, since it continues

to show that I am not a subscriber to their Info-Services,

while my mobile balance indicates that I am being charged

daily for them.

[/quote]

Oh my goodness! Now you cannot get out of it. It’s the ufone trap :D . That’s the way it works with ufone. Once you’re subscribed, no matter how many times you unsubscribe or get it unsubscribed, the info service will never go away on that number. That has been the experience with my mom’s and my previous ufone number.

I ditched ufone for the very same reason as complains seem to do no good.

^ Threatening them with a lawsuit and speaking in English works wonders.

Does this thing still work? I have subscribed to both SMS to Email Service and Infoservices, but can't send email via hotmail and gmail (it's bounces back with a delivery failure email in hotmail; however, total silence on gmail).