Ubuntu Problem

So i am trying to install ubuntu 8.04 on a old machine.Hard drive space is 250 gb..i have 1 ntfs drive space 40 gb and 240 gb free space but ubuntu is unable to make drive on 240gb free space and gives error during installation process.

Any solution?I have important data on ntfs drive so i dont want to format the whole hd..

Sure the image is not corrupted?

Yep because i've installed it on brand new system using the same disc.It is giving error (Unable to setup partion..something like this so it stucks at Partioning system.

Boot into Windows and run chkdsk or the GNOME partition utility from the live CD.

I dont have windows installed on pc.Basically i have some files, movies in D Drive which ntfs and other drive data is free.

Possibly u have 2 primary partitions already. a HD can only have 2 primary partitions. and linux needs a primary partition So make sure it isnt a primary partition problem. u can change primary to logical partitions using partition magic and maybe gparted too

I only have 1 partion and i have deleted the other partition but it still does not work.

So try using the GNOME partition utility to check the hard disk for errors. You can access it from the live/install CD.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Possibly u have 2 primary partitions already. a HD can only have 2 primary partitions. and linux needs a primary partition So make sure it isnt a primary partition problem. u can change primary to logical partitions using partition magic and maybe gparted too
[/quote]

An HDD can have:

- 4 primary partitions, or

- 3 primary partitions and 1 logical partition (containing multiple partitions)

- or a combination of lesser primary partitions(s) and logical partitions.

no error found Asad..:(

If the data is REALLYYYY important, you can just hook the harddrive up to another computer as a slave and retrieve it.

I only have laptop currently and i cant hook it up with laptop :(.So there is now way to install ubuntu without removing Partition D?

I only have laptop currently and i cant hook it up with laptop
[/quote]

Well two solutions. Either hook it up to a friends computer, or buy an external hard drive case (its pretty cheap), stick your hard drive in it and you can hook it up to your laptop via USB.

what kind of error do you get?

or if u need to back the data up and have a network

u can boot into the live ubuntu desktop

and transfer the files to the other computer over ur network

btw what error do u get? (oops saad already asked this must have missed his post bfore)

its a partitioning problem as we can see in the above post (just saw it now)

are you creating proper partitions? there must be a swap partition around 512 mb and one ext3 partition (you can determine the size according to your needs)

when i installed ubuntu 7.10 6-7 months ago i also got an error becuase iwasnt creating proper patitions

So i am trying to install ubuntu 8.04 on a old machine.Hard drive space is 250 gb…i have 1 ntfs drive space 40 gb and 240 gb free space but ubuntu is unable to make drive on 240gb free space and gives error during installation process.

Any solution?I have important data on ntfs drive so i dont want to format the whole hd…

[/quote]

– Put windows installation CD in the CD rom…

– boot in to xp installation

– select new xp installation

– accept TOS press F8

– now you will see ur NTFS partition and the rest of space.

– Convert the free space into NTFS by …selecting Create new partition option…Select all of 240Gb as new partition and do a quick NTFS format…

– now hit F3…exit and reboot …take ur xp CD out and boot into Ubuntu…

– see now if Ubuntu installs on ur newly created 240Gb NTFS partition … if i remember right it should work… i did this with FEDORA linux… i think Ubuntu will use that 240Gb partition now…

Post ur reply here…whatever is the outcome…