Ubuntu on i686 kernel?

Well, im rite now using Fedora and by default its running on i686 linux kernel...and the compiz fusion effects are working very fine, without glitches, and the system isnt stucking, hanging.....

someone in some thread on WP said that Fedora is like Linux Kernel dressed in a dhoti.....on overall im liking fedora more than ubuntu but may be cuz i hvent experienced it much, thats why....

so now i want to switch back to Ubuntu, but i want it to be as stable as Fedora.....So can i run Ubuntu with i686 kernel some how ??

and what about SUSE ?? can it be run on i686 kernel and what about a PC with 1.7 ghz PROC and 256 RAM, wud i be able to run the linux dressed in a suit ??? i really want ta experience it but two SUSE users have told me that its heavier than ubuntu and fedora

Fedora is a bare bone kinda OS from what I remember. That is what makes it stable too.

If you really want to just have a distro for desktop use, SUSE is probably the best for users transitioning from a Windows based system to Linux. Nearly everything is GUI based in SUSE making it easier to navigate and understand the OS.

Now that im back on ubuntu from fedora, I find that ubuntu is running on the same kernel as used by fedora :/ i.e. the i686 Linux Kernel

:rolleyes:

The kernel may be the same but the configuration and packages vary.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Now that im back on ubuntu from fedora, I find that ubuntu is running on the same kernel as used by fedora :confused: i.e. the i686 Linux Kernel
[/quote]

Well omer try madriva one spring 2008! its great! and compiz is as smooth as anything!

Saad dude tell me how can i install mandanriva through USB flash drive, I (burned) the ISO on Flash Drive, and it boots successfully , the blue mandriva wallpaper comes with loading bar the bar gets stuck ed on like 1/3.....and I'm left with root terminal

now I can see that it successfully detects and loads USB drivers, but it tries to mount multiple things, and fails in all....

Saad dude tell me how can i install mandanriva through USB flash drive, I (burned) the ISO on Flash Drive, and it boots successfully , the blue mandriva wallpaper comes with loading bar the bar gets stuck ed on like 1/3…and I’m left with root terminal

now I can see that it successfully detects and loads USB drivers, but it tries to mount multiple things, and fails in all…

[/quote]

Never tried that

why dont you install it on flash drive instead of burning it

boot the live cd and install in flash drive

live cd kahan say laon ???

off the tawpic : ala img link in signature xD

umer u can get the cd from the mandriva website

^ i meant he cud download the cd from the mandriva website

live cd kahan say laon ???

off the tawpic : ala img link in signature xD

[/quote]

download from here:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

cant understand that last part (off topic)

Man i already told ya that i burned iso on USB....means i already had the iso, which i downloaded from mandriva's site

anyways now im gonna buy a 20rs CD-R :P, buhat khuwari hai installing through usb

that post count thing in siggy is ala xD

i meant to say burned that live cd and install the os on your USB if you want to run it from usb device but it seems like you wanted to save money and didnt wanted to buy a cd, well in that case i dont have any words to say.

btw why dont you buy cd-rw, i always keep one cd-rw and one dvd-rw for such stuff