Ubuntu ... is it worth trying

well yesterday some gud friend of mine gave showed me screen shots of linux Ubuntu n i was amazed so cool 3d effects way better than vista ... glossy n eye catching ... though the outer shell is impressive all i wana know is the interior also tat gud :) is linux worth trying ... i have placed an order with ubuntu for free cd shipment to me ... all i wana ask any one having any personel experience ... plz dnt negate just for the sake of writing some thing .. share ur advice if u have some experience otherwise dnt thankx ...

at the moment im running vista ultimate ...

If you have been using Windows for your entire life, no.

If you have double the time for each task (i.e. time for finding out how to do it in linux and then actually doing it) go for it.

Its not better than Vista.

Yes, it is. Asad, with Ubuntu, the learning curve isn't that steep - after a initial learning period you should be as fast (if not faster) using it than Windows.

Ubuntu also has another feature where u can use Ubuntu without actually installing it on ur system

so u can try it without installing so if u like it u can install it if u dont than u can leave

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Yes, it is. Asad, with Ubuntu, the learning curve isn’t that steep - after a initial learning period you should be as fast (if not faster) using it than Windows.
[/quote]

Simple tasks are simple enough via the GUI. It’s when you get under the hood, so to speak, that things become exceedingly frustrating.

Here in Pakistan it costs us the same for vista, xp or unbuntu so it's a no brainer. Vista or if you have an older computer xp. If you live abroad and or want a legal free OS then unbuntu is the way to go. It's pretty decent but like everyone said above, you need to learn your way around.

@ babarasghar

If your whole computing experience is just surfing web, email, playing MP3, playing movie, sometime office documents (letters, spreadsheets etc.), then Ubuntu will work for you with little learning. You can ask your friend for few tips and you'll be good to go within few hours or days.

If you do anything else, and you can't find appropriate software in default installation then you can find, download and install packages. This is also an easy job, not to scare of. After few practices, you'll be able to add commonly available packages (softwares).

However, if you are trying to find a software and that is not available in packages, then be prepare for some work, you'll need to compile the source code for yourself. It's easy job for software programmers, in-fact daily job, but for non-programmers it usually means nightmares.

If things work good and you don't get any any trouble (error) then any good operating system will work. However, that is not the case in real world. If you have been using Windows for your life then you'll know with experience that in case of error, you can call anyone and ask help. Tech people guide you and you just have to click here and there in GUI (Graphical User Interface) to solve that problem. Most of time in Windows, you don't have to go to command prompt to solve a problem.

But that is not the case in GNU/Linux (including Ubuntu). Programmers who create GNU/Linux love to work in Command Line Interface (command prompt). Therefore, in case of problem, your GUI help will exhaust within minutes and most of time you have to jump to command prompt to write commands and solve issue. That is nothing less than a most scaring nightmare after a most scary movie with a hang-over in morning (without any alcohol consumption). Meaning, trouble all the way for non-programmers :)

But don't get discourage. Install it and try it. Maybe it work for you. It all depend on the person's adaptability, learning curiosity and trying to continue whatever happens.

Good luck! Do tell us with your Ubuntu experience.

Fe-Aman Allah.

wht about system driver ??? are they easily available

wht about system driver ??? are they easily available
[/quote]

Most of the drivers are easy to find excluding modem drivers :) i tried ubuntu last year but it sucked as i had to keep switching between ubuntu and xp if i needed to use internet.

yes dial up doesnt work very well with Ubuntu but Vptcl works perfectly

well thankx guys for such a quick feed back .. esp wampyr thankx for such a detailed review ... in ist few rplies i was scared tat i have done a mistake to even CHECK ubuntu out .. but one should push the envelope :) lets see when i get this baby n how long it takes me to learn it :)

@babarasghar: I'm running Ubuntu on my 2.5 yr old Celeron, with all the eye candy. The question is why do you want to use it. You can perform day to day tasks equally well in both Windows and Ubuntu, and like someone above mentioned the piracy issue in Pakistan nullifies cost as a factor in your choice. If on the other (like me), you want to try out something new, and are not afraid to spend a little time surfing the web to find solutions when you run into snags then go for it. The thing about Linux is its infinitely customizable. You can essentially get it to do anything. Windows is like a sealed box without a few buttons on the outside. You said you liked the cool visual effects. You probably won't be able to get those in Windows, but if you poke around a bit you'll manage to get them up and running on Ubuntu.

So overall, I think you should give it a try since its very low risk. If you don't like it you can always get rid of it. People tend to have their own (usually very strong) opinions, and especially when it comes to Linux you'd find people are normally highly biased on the positive or negative side. You'll only know if you like it or not if you try it yourself. Install Ubuntu as a dual boot running it in parallel with Windows. Its a no-brainer since the Ubuntu installation recognizes your Windows and handles the dual partition more or less automatically. Play around with it and don't give up if you run into a particularly sticky problem. You'd normally find a solution if you search, and you can always post your queries here since we have a handful of Linux users present who could provide support. Go for it! :)

hey ppl who love to be UNBUNTOOOOOED ... check this vdo link :)

hey ppl who love to be UNBUNTOOOOOED … check this vdo link :)

[/quote]

Yes I've seen it and many others like it before. Personally I think Ubuntu offers more eye candy than Vista, while taking up far less resources.

Is the installation process of Ubuntu similar to that of Windows?

Is the installation process of Ubuntu similar to that of Windows?
[/quote]

Pretty much.

I suggest checking out this site about linux advantages over windows:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

The main advantages are virus free, very few restarts and greater stability.

Linux also tends to be better at multi tasking. With windows I am always vary of keeping too many applications running because they slow down the computer but I remember with linux I could keep a lot of programs running without problems. Infact linux is so good at multitasking that one desktop is not enough. Most linux desktop managers, including gnome and kde, come with virtual desktops that you can use to organize running programs.

The downside is that its harder to install software on Linux. This is especially true in Pakistan because we only have older distributions available in the market. Because its opensource software development is constantly ongoing and the developers have no tolerance for older versions or "cruft" as they call it. That means that often when you install new software you have to download a hell of a lot of dependencies. Given the state of internet connections in Pakistan thats just not practical. I have been patiently downloading centos 5.1 for a week now :) All 6 cds have to be perfect copies. The cd packs in the local market always have one or two defective ones.

Yes I’ve seen it and many others like it before. Personally I think Ubuntu offers more eye candy than Vista, while taking up far less resources.
[/quote]

Compwiz/Beryl?

You can install software on Vista too to make it look more appealing. However, any such eye candy is unnecessary load on the PC. The old WIN2K look is the best and very light on resources.

The main advantages are virus free, very few restarts and greater stability.
[/quote]

The first and the last ones aren’t true. Linux does has viruses (and hence the anti-viruses available for it) and stability is directly related to user. I remember crashing Ubuntu and even SUSE a couple times. :) I still don’t have any idea what caused it.