Ubuntu Filesystem

what file system is used by ubuntu by default, I wanted to make partitions for ubuntu before I install it, cuz ive got 256mb ram and ubuntu installation is very slow

and also recommend a software for partitioning, i also have to make a swap partition(virtual memory), and yeah what should be the size of swap partition ?

ext3 is latest! ext2 was older

512 mb would be sufficient for swap!

ubuntu uses EXT 3 by default swap usually shud be double size of ur RAM

use Gparted its a mini OS so no need to have an OS on ur computer

i was 90% sure dat it wud b u ppl who will reply...thanks alot

EDIT : Can we get gparted live cd for free like ubuntu's ??

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

EDIT : Can we get gparted live cd for free like ubuntu’s ??
[/quote]

nah!

i was 90% sure dat it wud b u ppl who will reply…thanks alot

EDIT : Can we get gparted live cd for free like ubuntu’s ??

[/quote]

if u mean free as in shiped to ur home then no

if u mean free literally then yes gparted is free 2 like ubuntu

gparted is really small like 54 mb i think so u can easily download it even on dial up

if u mean free as in shiped to ur home then no

if u mean free literally then yes gparted is free 2 like ubuntu

[/quote]

I win I was first! :P

he was talking about free delivery at your doorstep

yeah i was talking about free delivery at door step :P

gparted live is 90.16mb zip....not a problem for me

yeah i was talking about free delivery at door step :P

gparted live is 90.16mb zip…not a problem for me

[/quote]

mind you gparted is not an OS its a partitioning software based on linux core!

mind you gparted is not an OS its a partitioning software based on linux core!

[/quote]

thats why i called it a mini OS

it esentially is a linux OS with only one application installed which is Gparted

wuteva it is, they dint mention the windows xp parition tracking thingy b4 I started the partition

and in info deyve mentioned that windows fail to login but here in ma case a strange error is dere, after selecting windows xp professional in bootloader it gives error that windowsroot/system32/hal.dll is corrupted or deleted install a new copy of it

while using recovery console I can see that the file is present in system32 folder

plz help

wuteva it is, they dint mention the windows xp parition tracking thingy b4 I started the partition

and in info deyve mentioned that windows fail to login but here in ma case a strange error is dere, after selecting windows xp professional in bootloader it gives error that windowsroot/system32/hal.dll is corrupted or deleted install a new copy of it

while using recovery console I can see that the file is present in system32 folder

plz help

[/quote]

yes grub ussually fucks up the windows boot entry!

edit the entries and change the hdd (1,x) to hdd (0,x)

hmmm and I can't install ubuntu in prepring disk space the guided thing givz error though I hve a 4.8gb ubuntu partiton which its detecting and a 500mb swap

in manual it says no root file system is defined

wut to do

ok I've set the root file system, just temme a thing do I hve to mention that the mount point of my ntfs partiton on which windows is installed is /windows ??

ok I’ve set the root file system, just temme a thing do I hve to mention that the mount point of my ntfs partiton on which windows is installed is /windows ??
[/quote]

not in ubuntu itself but if when ubuntu is installed and u have problems runnin windows then u will have to specify it in grub

ohk....btw wut is mount point

meaning if I have a folder 'data' in my hda1 fat32 partiton and I mount it like \data

den when I open computer in ubuntu instead of hda1 I will c dat data folder

meaning if I have a folder ‘data’ in my hda1 fat32 partiton and I mount it like \data

den when I open computer in ubuntu instead of hda1 I will c dat data folder

[/quote]

ubuntu porbably wont boot coz the folder “data” wont have the data that ubuntu needs to boot

ohk I got it. thanks for your instant support