Twitter: how to receive message in Pakistan

I know Twitter stopped their +44 number for deliveries sometime back, and well - I do sorta miss it now. What do you do (or what would you do) to go about receiving the messages?

There are a few programs on the net, but they either require data usage or payment of SMS credit in pounds or dollars... which goes without saying, it's not possible.

Got any ideas? I'm using Telenor and they have this service that sms's you all incoming email for Rs. 30 per month. What I really use Twitter for is news updates - which I can do over email too, but Twitter is just easier and more convenient.

Anyone?

@Shaheerk: Can you kindly check if email forwarding works on your Telenor email address? You can do so by putting the Telenor address in your Gmail forwarding setting and then send an email to that Gmail account. If you receive the email on your Telenor, that will mean email forwarding works on Telenor.

If you say a yes, tomorrow I am buying a Telenor connection as on Ufone this email-to-sms service does not support email forwarding and I am dying to have it.

I wish, but it doesn't work. I've tried it sooooooooooo many times it's soo irritating now.

I can send an MMS to my Gmail and it shows up fine (with the address 923xxxxxxxxx@mmstelenor.com.pk, but I can't reply - not even a single text message.

What Telenor does is that they charge Rs. 30 per month for 1500 SMSs (which isn't that bad a deal, actually) and you can send/receive/reply/compose email all through SMS. And you can use 5 accounts (that's what their site says). This should help you out for the email-to-sms forwarding thingi.

I think I'll end up doing this - primarily for news alerts etc. 1500 texts for me in a month are MORE than enough (though I'll have to check if they're updated/lowered the limit).

Thanks for the info budd. Hope you solve out the Twitter thingy too.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@Shaheerk: Can you kindly check if email forwarding works on your Telenor email address? You can do so by putting the Telenor address in your Gmail forwarding setting and then send an email to that Gmail account. If you receive the email on your Telenor, that will mean email forwarding works on Telenor.

If you say a yes, tomorrow I am buying a Telenor connection as on Ufone this email-to-sms service does not support email forwarding and I am dying to have it.

[/quote]

It works on my brother’s Mobilink postpaid - or used to anyway, and that’s the only connection I’ve been able to get it working on.

Google calendar lists Telenor as a supported carrier in Pakistan for sending SMS notifications. All they need is the mobile number.

I am not familiar about workings of Twitter but if it can send SMS directly to a GSM number, then it may work for it like it does for Google Calendar

Well, for me it works good, on the warid

^ Are you subscribing to warid unlimited internet/email package?

no, the I am telling that it twitter is always with me on my warid mobile connection and I get update messages always on my mobile.