TV purchase from abroad

I will be purchasing a 40 inch tv from UAE can someone tell me which one is a better model to purchase supposedly i am getting them at almost equal price

1. Samsung 40 H6300 2014 model

or

2. Sony 40 W600 2014 model

both are smart tvs with almost identical specs i wonder which one is more better and have better support service in pakistan for parts and repair ? ALthough SOny is made in malaysia and samsung is i guess made in egypt if it matters ?

The only difference i have found is samsung is 120hz panel mentioned on its website where as sony is a 60hz panel.

I can find reviews on the internet about samsung h6350 which I guess is a north american model but dont know it is equivalent to samsung h6300 which i guess may be asian model with same specs ?

ALso if some one can tell me about 40 inch better tv of any other brand with best picture quality they are also welcome I donot care much about the smart tv feature so if a better dumb tv with best picture quality is there then do let me know about it but it should have proper after sales service support in pakistan .

ANd finally can some one tell me how much duty or customs i might have to pay on a 40inch tv or will it be free from customs for just one tv which is bubble wrapped showing it as a used tv ?

[quote=“faisalhaider, post:, topic:”]

but it should have proper after sales service support in pakistan

[/quote]

For that, buy local models with official warranty coverage.

^ I second that. There's absolutely no reason to import a TV from foreign countries, you can literally find any specific type of TV you want. There's lots of online retailers you can find, or you can just visit a shopping giant and select your preferred TV after checking it out beforehand.

price difference is too much just for 1 year local warranty and 1 year warranty is almost useless as normally tv`s dont develop fault in the 1st year ocassionaly except if u are a very unlucky person. i just need a tv which can be easily repaired if required in the longer run with good support and availability of parts in pakistan . SO what do u guys say ?

[quote=“Asad, post:2, topic:21912”]

For that, buy local models with official warranty coverage.

[/quote]

[quote="Upsilon, post:3, topic:21912"]

^ I second that. There's absolutely no reason to import a TV from foreign countries, you can literally find any specific type of TV you want. There's lots of online retailers you can find, or you can just visit a shopping giant and select your preferred TV after checking it out beforehand.

[/quote]

price difference is too much just for 1 year local warranty and 1 year warranty is almost useless as normally tv`s dont develop fault in the 1st year ocassionaly! except if u are a very unlucky person. i just need a tv which can be easily repaired if required in the longer run with good support and availability of parts in pakistan . SO what do u guys say ?

there are exact same imported models in market without warranty for 1/3 lower price...price low due to smuggling and no warranty.

buy local tv if you not wanted to fight with customs at airport

[quote=“faisalhaider, post:4, topic:21912”]

price difference is too much just for 1 year local warranty and 1 year warranty is almost useless as normally tv`s dont develop fault in the 1st year ocassionaly except if u are a very unlucky person. i just need a tv which can be easily repaired if required in the longer run with good support and availability of parts in pakistan . SO what do u guys say ?

[/quote]

What local and UAE price are you getting for the two models you listed in OP?

Having browsed electronic items at Dubai Duty Free multiple times, at no time did I find the price significantly low enough to warrant immediate purchase and subsequent fighting and haggling with Customs leeches at our airports.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:6, topic:21912”]

there are exact same imported models in market without warranty for 1/3 lower price...price low due to smuggling and no warranty.

[/quote]

[quote="Asad, post:8, topic:21912"]

What local and UAE price are you getting for the two models you listed in OP?

Having browsed electronic items at Dubai Duty Free multiple times, at no time did I find the price significantly low enough to warrant immediate purchase and subsequent fighting and haggling with Customs leeches at our airports.

[/quote]

for sony tv with warranty in pakistan the price difference is 20k and for samsung with warranty the price difference is 23k as i am taking the homeshopping.pk price of 70k and 73k for it as reference.

for samsung smuggled tv without warranty the price difference is 10k as i am taking the 60k price for the same model at homeshopping.pk

Also i am a bit skeptic in buying the smuggled tv in pakistan as i am concerned about its originality and quality as well! in UAE i will be purchasing it from the authorized reseller or atleast a large shop for the peace of mind for the product to be original.

So what do u guys say ?

PCT 8528.7212 of Customs tariff states 30% duty, 17% GST, 8% miscellaneous taxes. You will end up paying anywhere from 50-65% of the value of the TV as ascertained by the customs officer. For such common items, they already have listing of actual cost. Have you factored this into your costing?

[quote=“Asad, post:10, topic:21912”]

PCT 8528.7212 of Customs tariff states 30% duty, 17% GST, 8% miscellaneous taxes. You will end up paying anywhere from 50-65% of the value of the TV as ascertained by the customs officer. For such common items, they already have listing of actual cost. Have you factored this into your costin

[/quote]

This is something that I have been considering is there any way to get away with it like the item would be for my personal use can i show it as an use item and not pay a penny as tax on it do they charge customs on use items for personal use ?

according to my experience at small airports you can avoid customs tax by paying some 3 to 4k to customs officer but at big airports it can't be avoided unless you pack your TV inside your other luggage but its risky if your tv screen gets damaged during cargo loading unloading then you can not claim the damage to airline and nothing will be paid to you...

so bring in Original box pay heavy tax at airport or pack LCD in your suit case to avoid tax

[quote=“faisalhaider, post:11, topic:21912”]

This is something that I have been considering is there any way to get away with it like the item would be for my personal use can i show it as an use item and not pay a penny as tax on it do they charge customs on use items for personal use ?

[/quote]

then simply buy the smuggled tvs.

if you know about the tvs, you would easily be ab;e to spot the real model from fake one..just like spotting between the iphone 5s original and china copy;

reliable sellers sell original lcds. abid market/ temple road... fake lcds are in hall road.. price diference is around 50-90 k between fake and original. so you can spot it easy.

customs will end up costing you 50% on original price. so no use, and international dubai lcds dont arry local warranty.

you can also try buying used lcds from buyers on forums and other places.. some people have really good leds in large sizes for sale who got them from dubai or egypt as gifts.. selling at less than market prices.. a friend of mine has 2 large samsungs, in 55in and 46inch size just like that for sale. ...

egypt and malaysia mde led have much higher quailty and less issues than china made samsung and sony,, even our local in warranty official models are mostly china made.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:13, topic:21912”]

you can also try buying used lcds from buyers on forums and other places.. some people have really good leds in large sizes for sale who got them from dubai or egypt as gifts.. selling at less than market prices.. a friend of mine has 2 large samsungs, in 55in and 46inch size just like that for sale. ...

egypt and malaysia mde led have much higher quailty and less issues than china made samsung and sony,, even our local in warranty official models are mostly china made.

[/quote]

Seriously egypt made led have higher quality? as egypt is the kachra country (rubbish country) in the whole middle east with almost every one a big thug its not any different than the pakistan :) i was skeptic in buying samsung over sony because of made in egypt and sony being made in malaysia so i was more inclined towards sony ......

Alot of people here in UAE are telling me that u can avoid huge taxes in pakistan by declaring it use item for personal use and wrap it in the bubble wrap taping done at the airport these people themselves have brought led to their respective cities in pakistan like that and avoid taxes so i am confused and seeking advice from a larger crowd ..........

it is not egypt people and egypt congress making the lcd.. it is SAMSUNG company making lcd in egypt in their own factory, with egypt people as labour only. since egypt has cheaper labour than USA and malaysia, .. but egypt doesnot have the semiconductor industry like china so quite a few components are imported from good companies instead of chinese companies and assembly is of a bit higher quality..

the main difference is the panel.. by lottery system. the samsung panels A, B and C are sent to different parts of the world.. even in same country different panels are supplied..so far egypt and malasia made lcds have better panels than from china... there is still a lucky draw, but odds are better there than made in china.

you can gift an item without box to pk, it can be done.. just be aware that while saving taxes, its not covered by insurance and if something happens to it during travel.. you are butter phucked. :)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:15, topic:21912”]

you can gift an item without box to pk, it can be done.. just be aware that while saving taxes, its not covered by insurance and if something happens to it during travel.. you are butter phucked. :)

[/quote]

Your point for egypt made led are duly noted as it does make some sense.........

whereas would u like to elaborate a little bit more about the insurance thing ? i will be bringing the led myself can i claim with the airline if something happens to it during travel ? secondly by bubble wrap i mean wrapping the box of led with bubble wrap or if u have been to dubai airport there they do a massive tapping on boxes at the airport so i was thinking to cover the box with that taping and then tell customs it is an used led only for personal use .........

i don't know if my idea makes some sense and will i be able to avoid the unnecessary tax on just one led like that !

with 1 led you might be able to avoid tax.

info on insurance or accidental damage can only be provided by airlines.. you can contact them...

you shuold also visit shophive for prices of imported tvs and subtrract 5-7k on each for market price.. or visit temple road for acurate prices on imported models.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:17, topic:21912”]

with 1 led you might be able to avoid tax.

info on insurance or accidental damage can only be provided by airlines.. you can contact them...

you shuold also visit shophive for prices of imported tvs and subtrract 5-7k on each for market price.. or visit temple road for acurate prices on imported models.

[/quote]

Ok i will look into local prices on shophive and then ask someone to see the market for these led sets lets see if its a big hassle in carrying one tv then i might drop that idea and buy locally or smuggled tv .

BY the way the main question has been set aside which one is better amongst the 2 LED Sony or Samsung ?

also I have seen a good LG LED which is 42LB6520 its a 42 inch 3d smart tv from LG getting it also at the same price so also consider it as well in suggesting but it is made in china ........

@admin how can i edit my first post ? as i am not seeing any edit options here

[quote=“faisalhaider, post:, topic:”]

Now make the comparison of these 3 models :

1. Samsung 40 H6300 2014 model 40 inch smart tv Made in Egypt

2. Sony 40 W600 2014 model 40 inch smart tv Made in Malaysia

3. LG 42 LB6520 2014 model 42 inch 3D + SMart tv (webOS) Made in China

So which one is the best ? considering panel , features , parts and service support in Pakistan .

[/quote]

for extra details and overly saturated contrast.. Samsung.. they also have most elegant looking models.

for dull but Warm colors, sony.. for theater like colors in bluray and digital content only. not for cable.

for overall great performance.. any model of LG made in 2014. but made in korea. korea made lcds are top notch.

for 3D, LG, as most models are passive, and that puts no strain on eyes.. samsung active 3D is much more in depth but very stressful on sight..

look for higher series models of lg.. B series is low end. look for 8600 and other latest models.