Turn off interleaving for better latency?

Low ping benefit: http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/isp-discussions/126504-turn-interleaving-achive-lower-ping-rate-increase-snr-stable-connection.html

Some more info here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2182

Would it be possible for PTCL to turn off interleaving on-demand basis for the customers? firecruz? Others?

I know g.dmt helps a bit too. P.S. PTCL would benefit more by trying to reduce the gateway pings.

Edit: Apparently, maxcom offers the service:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
A note for gamers, the difference in ping times between PTCL and Maxcom connections in most cases is only around 30 msecs. This is due to Maxcom using interleave line modulation by default on its connections and PTCL using fast, based on the average user profile interleave gives better service as its more reliable, where as fast gives better ping times, albeit around 30 msecs.

Those users who primarily use their connection for gaming can have their line modulation changed to fast on Maxcom's service by emailing support@max.com.pk with their userid and request to change modulation to fast. Provided your line is of sufficient quality our team will change your line modulation, though our feedback from most games suggest as long as the pings are consistent the 30 msec difference between Maxcom and PTCL connection makes no significant difference to their gameplay.

[/quote]

Apparently, PTCL uses interleave on by default nowadays. At least gamers would want it to be fast mode instead.

On PTCL I have always had FAST modulation, and I even get pings as low as 17ms to some gamers in Islamabad, when I used to be LDN, it was always changing almost each week

and I figured out the resulting difference in latencies due to FAST and Interleaving modes, is around 20ms.

I also figured out that using ADSL 2+ modulation, reduces latencies around 3ms, compared to G.dmt on Aztech DSL605EW router

So you had FAST by default? Damn. Most of the PTCL users have interleave.

Me too for more than 2 years now.... :|

i too am on interleave it never showed fast mode..!!! DAMN!

Can you change it yourself from modem?

my modem shows

Latency Type: Fast

I am ptcl dsl 1mb user in gujranwala. i get 20ms pings to ptcl server

edit:

read this article

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/184

It can be changed from exchange only

nah i guess its some back-end exchange configuration!!!

No, I think you can change it from ur modem.... But don't ask me how cause i forgot how to :(

By default I have ADSL 2+ modulation and a month ago I was having frequent disconnection problems so the DSL guy came and set my modem to G.dmt (he thought that to be a cure)....

Unfortunately. I did bothered to see the options from which he was making the changes. After when he left, the problem gotten worse. So i thought to revert back the changes but didn't knew from where to change them... So I reset my modem and got back to ADSL2+.

If you are trying to reset your modem be sure to remember your user name and password... otherwise you won't be able to connect.

No, I think you can change it from ur modem… But don’t ask me how cause i forgot how to :(
[/quote]

There never was a way to do it in the first place. So don’t worry, you didn’t forget. :D

Anyways, it’s not really about ADSL 2+ vs G.dmt.

Whenever I connect over ADSL2 or ADSL2+ my Latency type is Fast, but when I connect on G.DMT it is Interleave.

Changing to g.dmt had a negative effect on my pings, despite what u claims it to be. ADSL2+ is providing me lower and better pings as compared to g.dmt. However I'm set on interleave, even when i changed it to g.dmt and back ADSL2+. How do I change it to fast ?? Any way to change it in huawei modem ?

There never was a way to do it in the first place. So don’t worry, you didn’t forget. :D

[/quote]

Yes… there is. Cause I remember now and I have been playing with since I upgraded my connection to 4mb :P

ZTE 831 modem (blue) : Your modem’s main page then click Advanced than WAN than ADSL… :)

and it should be same for other modems as well…

^ You got it all wrong. We're talking about latency mode here (interleave or fast, which can only be changed in exchange) not the ADSL mode, which can certainly be changed in modem.

@Specter that Faisal.Qureshi is PERFECT in telling you this

i maself is with him. Changing the DSL MOD changes the Latency MOD :P

Go a head try it

You will get FAST LATENCY at ADSL2+ MOD

Knowledge is a blessing :cool:

Faisal bhai, which firmware you have it? In this ZTE ZXDSL 831 series modem, mine is ZXDSL 831IIV7.5.0a_E09_OV... It has 2 security vulnerabilities, I want to update to latest but nothing found on Internet. Tell whats your?

Does using TCP Optimizer and changing settings, will increase Latency? Mine is on FAST mode..

Go a head try it

[/quote]

Nope. Doesn’t work here.

Faisal bhai, which firmware you have it? In this ZTE ZXDSL 831 series modem, mine is ZXDSL 831IIV7.5.0a_E09_OV… It has 2 security vulnerabilities, I want to update to latest but nothing found on Internet. Tell whats your?

Does using TCP Optimizer and changing settings, will increase Latency? Mine is on FAST mode…

[/quote]

Mine is same as yours… you can try the optimizer but I doubt there will be any difference… you know F***ed up PTCL infrastructure.

Yes… there is. Cause I remember now and I have been playing with since I upgraded my connection to 4mb :P

ZTE 831 modem (blue) : Your modem’s main page then click Advanced than WAN than ADSL… :)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q118/FSQ_2006/DSL.jpg

and it should be same for other modems as well…

[/quote]

Doesn’t work on PTCL wifi.

Go a head try it

[/quote]

ADSL2+ MOD got better latecy than G.dmt? Why these CSR always tell us to use G.dmt when ADSL2+ got better pings ? The main thing is Line attenuation…noise margin is just a drama.Everything is totally dependent on line attenuation.I got superb atten of 60 :D

BTW i got fast latency type :D