Trees cocooned in spiders webs after flooding in Sindh

An unexpected side-effect of the flooding in parts of Pakistan has been that millions of spiders climbed up into the trees to escape the rising flood waters.

Because of the scale of the flooding and the fact that the water has taken so long to recede, many trees have become cocooned in spiders webs. People in this part of Sindh have never seen this phenonemon before - but they also report that there are now less mosquitos than they would expect, given the amoungt of stagnant, standing water that is around.

It is thought that the mosquitos are getting caught in the webs and may be reducing the risk of malaria, which would be one blessing for the people of Sindh, facing so many other hardships after the floods.

lolz end of mortein era and start of spiders era in controlling mosquitos. :D

flood have some benefits too..

--

it looks so horrible

This has totally destroyed the Eco-system, Looks spooky.

It looks like concept art for some Sci-fi game. Share more pics please.

5331062034_fda5e49f89_z.jpeg

5571189922_059211dfcc_z.jpeg

Wow, this is like mother nature saved the residents from malaria mosquitoes by itself. Still wondering will the trees survive this inhabitance?

--

horrible, is this a recent picture ?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
An unexpected side-effect of the flooding in parts of Pakistan has been that millions of spiders climbed up into the trees to escape the rising flood waters.

Because of the scale of the flooding and the fact that the water has taken so long to recede, many trees have become cocooned in spiders webs. People in this part of Sindh have never seen this phenonemon before - but they also report that there are now less mosquitos than they would expect, given the amoungt of stagnant, standing water that is around.

It is thought that the mosquitos are getting caught in the webs and may be reducing the risk of malaria, which would be one blessing for the people of Sindh, facing so many other hardships after the floods.

http://i.imgur.com/mOJKQ.jpg

[/quote]

No, soon, they will die. Because these webs are acting as obstacles in the pathway of sun light.
[/quote]

lets start washing them.

I guess it is not the webs hat block the sun, later on these webs which look quite fascinating atm would be clogged up by dirt and insects which will eventually stop the sunlight from reaching the tress.

Interesting phenomenon.

It could be fungus. I am not sure about spider web.

amazing..

horrible, is this a recent picture ?
[/quote]

This picture is from Dec 07, 2010.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfid/5571181942/

Interesting phenomenon...

First time heard. if it happens in some advanced country, we see researchers and scientists working on it. But unfortunately we have none in Pakistan. We may see foreign researchers studying this but law and order situation is so bad that nobody is ready to come Pakistan.

Nice pictures TechMan (haven't seen you around for

a long time). I guess when it rains, the spiders will

be in a real quandry.

Sheikh 'Zameen Sey Chardha, Darakht Sey Gira' Chilli

First time heard. if it happens in some advanced country, we see researchers and scientists working on it. But unfortunately we have none in Pakistan. We may see foreign researchers studying this but law and order situation is so bad that nobody is ready to come Pakistan.
[/quote]

Whats so special about this to research on? What would they research about?

I know it looks fascinating however I guess it’s just a simple phenomenon that spiders start living on trees when there is water around. I believe there is no reason for researchers to work on it.

every phenomenon like the one mentioned above is worthy of research and analysis. for scientists these things do matter alot. Lyk its simple question... Is this phenomenon harmful for rest of the habitat or not..? wat conditions other then flood lyk these can make spiders work lyk this..? has this flood effected any other ability of spiders or has it altered them physically?.. all these questions need consideration. and there are many more lyk these...infact stuff lyk these end-up as a birth of new phenomenon n research.