Torrent using proxy

i am unable to use u-torrent in my office. Actually our office has unlimited DSL connection of multi.net out IT department has configured ISA server on 1 PC and that server is acting as proxy server for internet access in our building. it is restricted access (only authorized persons are allowed to use internet as their IP is allowed through ISA server to access internet). Fortunately i am allowed to use internet in office (with no access to .mp3 and sites like youtube etc).

I want to use u-torrent in office but my u-torrent does not work at all. Can someone please guide me how to use it ???

I have enabled encryption but it does not work... furthermore i am unable to find out any open port for listening... for every port i get an error "Port xxxx does not appear to be open"

any solution or suggestions?

If there is no port open that utorrent can use i doubt it will possible to run it.

If you have access to ISA server, than intall µTorrent on that server and allow it from firewall, this should do the trick. but for this you have to have an access on ISA server.

I do not have an access on ISA server.. :(

You'll need to get a SOCKS proxy (an open/public one) which connects through your organization's proxy.

I'm not sure if it'll work, but try Tor (google "Portable Tor") - it's a page on Sourceforge. I'm not sure Tor has SOCKS capabilities, but it might work.

have u tried setting utorrent port to 80?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

You’ll need to get a SOCKS proxy (an open/public one) which connects through your organization’s proxy.

I’m not sure if it’ll work, but try Tor (google “Portable Tor”) - it’s a page on Sourceforge. I’m not sure Tor has SOCKS capabilities, but it might work.

[/quote]

are you saying that i should install tor proxy gateway on my pc then i should connect to my ISA server and then try to use torrent using tor proxy?

I tried that a long way back, tor proxy and some java based proxy, etc. etc. None worked, so I finally gave up :)

But one piece of advice. If you don't want your IT people to know what you are planning to do, it's better not to try it, as the torrent client opens a number of connections simultaneously, and will definitely be get noticed immediately.

I completely agree with Unicorn. If they have blocked all port then they certainly dont want you to use it for anything other then work :P And even if you do somehow get it to work quitely, theyll find out straight away Unless you download a torrent with only 2-3 peers at a very slow speed.

Ive tried for days and days to get it to work when i had a crappy cable net who blocked all ports (also ISA Server). But it never worked, other then one time but it was only for like an hour so i dont count it as a success.

actually initially we were not allowed downloding in office.but after unlimited packages are there. . . we are allowed downloads like exe,s and other stuff. . . but not mp3 and some sites. i often download trial and pirate softwares using multiple threads using accelelator. no one ever noticed yet. . . further more me and my boss can justify these bulky downloads as my work is related to that too.all i need is a way out :-) chahay speed kam he ho

have u tried setting utorrent port to 80?
[/quote]

yes, have tried port 80 , 1080 but none worked.

using these ports i get an error “listen error, you should change the listen port”. and if i use random ports it gives error " no incomming connection"

Although when i connect from my indigo unlimited through bluetooth, then same error comes " no incomming connection" but i am able to download with this error, quite stange :)

There's another thing: does your office network use a proxy server to connect to the outside world? If it does, let me know. I _might_ have another workaround.

There’s another thing: does your office network use a proxy server to connect to the outside world? If it does, let me know. I might have another workaround.
[/quote]

I do not know this… is there any way to check it out ?? or tell me what it that “workaround” if our ISA server is using proxy server.

There’s another thing: does your office network use a proxy server to connect to the outside world? If it does, let me know. I might have another workaround.
[/quote]

I’m interested. Please go ahead. Although I don’t need it as I have ample bandwidth at home, but for emergency may be ;)

O and have u tried something like this:

http://btguard.com/

http://btguard.com/utorrent.php

Their proxy server connects using port 80, so it just might work. Register for their Free Trial and check it out.

Yaar Aliravian, I would suggest that don't do something which is not allowed. After all you doing a job. If you want something so bad than try to get your own connection in your home.

Its better safe than sorry.

If they have restrictions on ISA server and you don't have access to it, than using proxies won't help. As far as I know ISA server can Implement restriction via exe names as well. who knows they have put the restriction via exe names ...? like µtorrent.exe or Azureus.exe

my dear Faisal i agree with you. but perhaps you had noticed in my some previous post that my job nature is of some sort that i officially need to download and test softwares quite often. i'm not a fan of movies. . . i'm not going to use it for movies download. for software downloads i will use it. . . further more some my personal interest softwares. . . and i guess there is no problem in it. we all at office use internet for personal use too

O and have u tried something like this:

http://btguard.com/

http://btguard.com/utorrent.php

Their proxy server connects using port 80, so it just might work. Register for their Free Trial and check it out.

[/quote]

if i will use bt guard proxy server address in u-torrent then how will i route my traffic to my office isa server? :slight_smile:

i will not be able to access internet if i will change my proxy address (isa server)

If your network uses ISA Server then you need to install a Firewall Client for ISA Server. This will enable you to download torrents and P2P (Limewire, Kazaa, etc.).

However, torrents won't run to maximum possible speed unless you can get an open port for incoming connections and the only way you can do that is contact your network administrator and ask him - which might ruin your plans so better not.

If you get the Firewall client set up correctly you will be able to download, and that is what you want, so try it. :)

The client is a simple program that connects to your ISA server (on the LAN). You just install it, enable it, set it to launch at startup, configure it to connect to your specific proxy and that's it. It won't be able to "automatically detect ISA Server" so you'll have to enter the LAN IP (192.168.0.1 ? ) into the box that says "Use this" in its configurations.

Hope this helps. Let us know if it does! :D

u can also try somethin like http://www.peerharbor.com/

they basically download the torrents on their servers and then u can download the contents of the torrent directly from them

they r a paid service and i havent tried them myself althoguh i have heard from a few ppl that this actually works pretty well