Those 24in1 DVD's any one tried?

my friend got one and he was saying result is very very good. he got it for 150 rupees. can anyone tell me what kind of formate they used on this single dvd to encode 24 movies.

21 movies in one dvd? i think the most data a DVD can hold is 4GB. and an average quality AVI movie available on the internet is atleast 700MB, the most a dvd can hold is 5 or maximum 6 movies. so 21 movies are impossible, maybe they are in youtube videos format :P

i maybe wrong though. where is it available in karachi?

^ It's DVD-DL; DL for Dual Layer. It can store about 8.5G of data.

but even with 8.5 gb u can get about 10 or 11 movies in medium qualty not 24

Most likely, they are using a different codec.

I have seen good quality Jumper files of about 400-450MB. They could be using a better encoder, for all I know.

Can you post the video properties to determine the codec, resolution, bit rates, etc?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

my friend got one and he was saying result is very very good. he got it for 150 rupees. can anyone tell me what kind of formate they used on this single dvd to encode 24 movies.
[/quote]

Yes i bought one some time ago, the quality is crappy, i wouldn’t call it good. The resolution is really low. Plus they are actually not really 24 in 1. What they do is they rip the DVD from normal vcd’s. So you end up with 2 files for each movie. So actually there are 12 movies in it. But on the label they call it e.g. the ring part 1 & the ring part 2, the part 1 is half of the movie and part 2 is the second half of the movie. Not two movies :confused:

^ It’s DVD-DL; DL for Dual Layer. It can store about 8.5G of data.
[/quote]

No they are ordinary DVD’s. 4.7gb ones they come from china or malaysia.

Most likely, they are using a different codec.

I have seen good quality Jumper files of about 400-450MB. They could be using a better encoder, for all I know.

Can you post the video properties to determine the codec, resolution, bit rates, etc?

[/quote]

They lower the resolution of vcd movies then rip them in divx. You end up with 12 movies with 2 parts each. Thats 24 in 1 to some

No they are ordinary DVD’s. 4.7gb ones they come from china or malaysia.

[/quote]

The ones I saw in a shop were DVD-DL.

they are 24 episodes of tv shows in 1 DVD (a whole season)

I Make em :D

they are stored on dvd but the format it self is not dvd ..vob files..

they are 24 episodes of tv shows in 1 DVD (a whole season)

I Make em :D

[/quote]

only happens in case of sitcoms or other 30min shows.

Whole seasons of hour long shows (EG Lost, Heroes, House) Can be put on one DVD too.

Whole seasons of hour long shows (EG Lost, Heroes, House) Can be put on one DVD too.
[/quote]

thats obvious as 1 season is about 3.7 GB while a dvd holds 4.7GB

the running time of 1 episode is normally 40-42 minutes

executionist and wazim87 can you name softwares which can convert dvd's to avi/divx formate but in good quality since i have noticed you both know a lot about this stuff.

[/quote]

If they’re playable in a standard DVD player, the format is MPEG-2. The only way to fit even 4 movies on one DVD is to lower the quality and/or drop the resolution.

Newer formats like h.264 and Divx compress movies a lot more with better quality, so they could make computer viewable DVD’s at high quality with a lot of movis.

executionist and wazim87 can you name softwares which can convert dvd’s to avi/divx formate but in good quality since i have noticed you both know a lot about this stuff.
[/quote]

i have never done that but this guide might help you http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm

@kratos24

The one I found best so far is DVDx 2.8. It's freeware, and contains all the ripping options you need. The quality depends upon encoders and ripping options you specify. However, don't expect it to be a smooth operation as you need to specify the correct frame rate and sometimes, have to enforce the frame rate to avoid audio getting out of sync. I tried a lot of other ripping softwares and none of them had the capability of auto correcting this problem.

No, the ones i have burned are burned from the Divx or whatever into DVD format so you can watch them on any standard DVD player :D

But you will need a powerful PC, and a bit of time, cause the encoding takes up alot of memory usage and time