This is the reason why internet is broken in Pakistan

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-13-27079-Grey-phone-traffic-IT-authorities-passing-the-buck-to-ISI

ISLAMABAD: The government’s information technology authorities deserve spanking as they have not just terribly failed to address some burning issues facing the internet users but have also shifted the burden of blocking and monitoring grey traffic to the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

The sources say that the whole internet traffic of the country has been left at the mercy of a system that is being operated in an amateur manner in total disregard to the agony faced by the telecom operators, call centres and internet users. Call centres are losing huge foreign exchange revenue and Pakistan is getting bad publicity in the international business community.

****** ridiculous. Fricking banana republic. So there you have it. Does that answer why imdb was banned ?

Incompetent people sitting in those offices who have no clue what they are doing. People should be free to choose which site they want to see and which they dont. There is no point policing the internet especially when it comes to sites like IMBD.

Grown-ups forced to be supervised by toddlers? Check.

I hate this country.

On the bright side, their incompetence will probably always provide us with many loopholes to exploit. :lol:

Personally, I doubt censorship really works when it comes to the internet. However, if it really is needed, I would much rather have sensible control by the citizens * for the citizens rather than "big brother" watching over the shoulder and denying access to common websites like IMDB and YouTube.

* - Government related buffoons, cronies do not count!

Parental control is all we really need, not adultal control that the governments are trying to do in some of these countries. Free flow of information and ideas is the need of the hour. Some people in the government think that the governments control people but they fail to realise and recognise that there are no kingdoms any more and its the people who eventually control the government and not the other way around. I hope better sense prevails and this government instead of wasting time, money and energy on non issues like the internet tries to do something about the ailing economy for a change.

@Asad There is no like option in your post for some reason.

[quote=“Specter, post:3, topic:20560”]

I hate this country.

[/quote]

Bottom line.

[quote="Asad, post:5, topic:20560"]

Personally, I doubt censorship really works when it comes to the internet. However, if it really is needed, I would much rather have sensible control by the citizens * for the citizens rather than "big brother" watching over the shoulder and denying access to common websites like IMDB and YouTube.

* - Government related buffoons, cronies do not count!

[/quote]

Govt officials are citizens first and foremost eventually elected by the citizens based upon the sensibility of the citizens. They are same. why would you think if given control, common citizens would run things more sensibly then the monkeys sitting in govt. chairs?

I mean why go that far? Take an example from this very forum here and do not take it as something personal cause its not.

You being an admin here can't stop your pics getting posted here without your permission. And what do you do as person in control or an admin? You delete the posts, the thread and ban the member which, in your sense being an admin is the best solution. but we have seen that this cycle never seem to stop. That member creates a new account and do what he does best again & again... So how is it any different from govt. banning the youtube or IMDB or adult contents on the web or handing over the monitoring to ISI? and how does it stops the citizens from viewing those despite the ban? I mean I and probably many others here aren't really affected the by the ban. I can view anything banned by our govt. if I wanted and I do...

So I don't expect higher level of sensibility from common citizens cause they are all the same and that's exactly why we are seeing what we see in this day & age. It would just be like passing on the control from one monkey to another... nothing would change.

[quote=", post:6, topic:20560"]

@Asad There is no like option in your post for some reason.

[/quote]

That is by design to prevent any potential bias.

[quote=“Faisal, post:7, topic:20560”]

Govt officials are citizens first and foremost eventually elected by the citizens based upon the sensibility of the citizens. They are same. why would you think if given control, common citizens would run things more sensibly then the monkeys sitting in govt. chairs?

[/quote]

Please keep in mind that I explicitly stated earlier that banning websites just doesn’t work in the longer run since there are always workarounds. There is currently no accountability of any sort, no easy way to determine who banned what. See the numerous threads which pop-up each time some website stops working. There are guesses if the website is really banned, by whom, on what grounds, etc. Baboos and political appointees in the current system typically have no sound understanding of the internet. Even among the vast majority of people, those better aware of the behemoth that is the internet can make far better and more accountable choices and stand up to political pressure through awareness campaigns.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I mean why go that far? Take an example from this very forum here and do not take it as something personal cause its not.

You being an admin here can’t stop your pics getting posted here without your permission. And what do you do as person in control or an admin? You delete the posts, the thread and ban the member which, in your sense being an admin is the best solution. but we have seen that this cycle never seem to stop. That member creates a new account and do what he does best again & again… So how is it any different from govt. banning the youtube or IMDB or adult contents on the web or handing over the monitoring to ISI? and how does it stops the citizens from viewing those despite the ban? I mean I and probably many others here aren’t really affected the by the ban. I can view anything banned by our govt. if I wanted and I do…

So I don’t expect higher level of sensibility from common citizens cause they are all the same and that’s exactly why we are seeing what we see in this day & age. It would just be like passing on the control from one monkey to another… nothing would change.

[/quote]

The scenario you mention is very different from the issue being discussed. An entire country and the rights of the citizenry are a whole different game from this individual forum, as are the accountability structures. I, as an individual member and an administrator, do not control when and what any member posts. If it violates any of the forum rules, it is dealt with after the fact. Holding every post for approval before it is made publicly visible is neither practical, nor fair to the vast majority of members who do follow the forum rules. Isolated incidents, like those you mention, are thus better dealt with on a case-by-case basis rather than imposing blanket restrictions on all members. Regardless of whatever happens, I am fully accountable for any actions I take to the forum owner. Are the political appointees and baboos accountable to you, me or any other Pakistani citizen here?

Making a line in the sand is difficult on whom should ban what. Parental control is one such beehive. It is all not as black and white as one might want it to be.

[quote=“Asad, post:8, topic:20560”]

That is by design to prevent any potential bias.

[/quote]

Well, That's actually bias towards admin(s). After all, admin(s) are part of the forum regardless of what level they hold and whatever they do or don't, whatever they say or don't is within the realm of the forum. So yeah, IMO admin should also have 'likes' if any other members wants to give it to them. Perhaps 'dislikes' too mainly because of admin(s) reach extends way farther then any member.... :)

[quote="Asad, post:8, topic:20560"]

Please keep in mind that I explicitly stated earlier that banning websites just doesn't work in the longer run since there are always workarounds. There is currently no accountability of any sort, no easy way to determine who banned what. See the numerous threads which pop-up each time some website stops working. There are guesses if the website is really banned, by whom, on what grounds, etc. Baboos and political appointees in the current system typically have no sound understanding of the internet. Even among the vast majority of people, those better aware of the behemoth that is the internet can make far better and more accountable choices and stand up to political pressure through awareness campaigns.

[/quote]

While I fully understand banning doesn't really works specially in the longer run cause there are always work-arounds built in the system which is the interweb for those banning something and for those which it was got banned. Perhaps my different approach to the matter gave the wrong impression but none the less I think it further proves my point since previously I said they (the common & those with given authority) are same carrying same mind set & sensibility. Switching controls between them wouldn't change anything except false sense of 'peace of mind' for few that now 'the commoners' are in control. And since they are the same and we agree banning something on the internet isn't effective in any case and we also agree the appointed monkeys don't have apt understanding of what & why to ban & how to make it effective. But the same can said for a common father or a mother who neither have the understanding nor have the time to learn or implement from the busy schedules so who's to say the fallout may not be as massive as the commoner are in mass even if we consider it as a community service run by eligible commoners in the form of offices and setups....and how its going to be any different from what govt. is already going i.e. taking the same initiative on commoner's behalf regardless of if it is 'uncalled for' to me or to you while keeping in mind the govt. is there because majority somehow approved it if not you & I.

IMO perhaps, the system has to changed and not the monkeys & that's entirely a new subject. Replacing monkeys would still result in 'monkey see monkey do' :)

[quote="Asad, post:8, topic:20560"]

The scenario you mention is very different from the issue being discussed. An entire country and the rights of the citizenry are a whole different game from this individual forum, as are the accountability structures. I, as an individual member and an administrator, do not control when and what any member posts. If it violates any of the forum rules, it is dealt with after the fact. Holding every post for approval before it is made publicly visible is neither practical, nor fair to the vast majority of members who do follow the forum rules. Isolated incidents, like those you mention, are thus better dealt with on a case-by-case basis rather than imposing blanket restrictions on all members. Regardless of whatever happens, I am fully accountable for any actions I take to the forum owner. Are the political appointees and baboos accountable to you, me or any other Pakistani citizen here?

Making a line in the sand is difficult on whom should ban what. Parental control is one such bees nest. It is all not as black and white as one might want it to be.

[/quote]

The scenario maybe different from the topic in hand in your opinion but IMO it fits perfectly as an example which I did put it as an example.

I can't or don't control what my other countrymen/women, my neighbors or my family members for that matter see or do on the interweb is same as I can't or don't control what other members here think or say or post. I can post my opinion or in response but that's about it. But you, on the other hand have the authority to take actions as well if you see something against the forum rules regardless of anybody or I or even you see that rule(s) out of place and it is same as any immoral or derogatory or illegal activities are frowned upon and are subjected to strictest actions constitutionally which is influenced heavily by religion (IMO). And any action taken against such immoral or derogatory or illegal activities requires occurrence of those immoral or derogatory or illegal activities first just like its fair and practical/logical for you as an admin to take any action and to which length after any rule(s) of the forums are broken and to which extent they are broken.

Govts. and politically appointed monkeys are NOT answerable/accountable to its citizens at least, I don't feel like it although they must be by the very logic/idea of democracy and they seem to have an agenda of their own under the influence of unseen masters but then again, you as admin are not answerable/accountable to the forum members but to the forum owner like you said yourself and forum owner is seldom seen or heard from in this forum and majority of the members here are probably oblivious to his existence altogether in this forum.

This is just how I think my example fits into the topic whether you or anyone else or even I agree to it or not & its nothing more....

In the end, I know and fully agree with what you said "Making a line in the sand is difficult on whom should ban what or Parental control is one such bees nest. It is all not as black and white as one might want it to be".

But its sounds very strange .....

Aini waddee post :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lol what did you do with it? :huh: it was suppose to be read :D

Hadd kerta hai yar tu bhi :P

FAISAL:::

you as admin are not answerable/accountable to the forum members but to the forum owner like you said yourself and forum owner is seldom seen or heard from in this forum and majority of the members here are probably oblivious to his existence altogether in this forum.

[/quote]

i guess...

it is Time ....for every one to know the real truth..

I am the forum owner [/quote]

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:12, topic:20560”]

i guess...

Well, damn. I always suspected there was something fishy about you.

Also, please don't ban me.

[quote=“Specter, post:13, topic:20560”]

Well, damn. I always suspected there was something fishy about you.

Also, please don't ban me.

[/quote]

He ain't much of a what you call "a stand up citizen".... so no worries :D

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:12, topic:20560”]

i guess...

Sure... :D

so you're off samad bond these days hunh?